suggestions/opinions please

nychaelasymone

Happy New Year!!!!

I'm going on vacation for about 7 days to Paris. I'd like to put my hair up and was thinking about getting braids, cornrows, and/or a weave for this period. Some of you may remember when I joined the boards (almost a year ago-wow its been that long) but I had lost most of my hair and was bald almost completly around my edges from front to back. After a year, I have all my hair back, my edges are back and I can finally wear my hair back but I am real sensitive about adding things to my hair, do you really think one week in braids or a weave will damage my hair? My hair is still what I consider short, so using my own hair for a protective style is out.

By the time I go on this trip I'll probably be about 8 weeks post relaxer.

any advice or opinions?

Thanks

dimpalz

It's great you've made so much progress, especially with regard to ur edges :) Why can't you just keep doing what you're doin now? Is it time consuming and you want to enjoy yourself?

If your braids aren't too tight they wont damage your hairline, you just have to ensure that whoever puts them in does so with care. The same goes for a sew in. I'm not sure about any other types of weave I've never been one to go puttin adhesive in my hair but I think as long as the hair you add isn't too heavy you shouldn't have any problems. Some seasoned weave/braid veteren will probably come in and give you better advice, but thats mine just in case they're all busy ;)

dlewis

Can you give a little bit more info on what you do to your hair and how you wear it now.

glamazon386

Congrats on your progress! Personally, I'd go for the weave because I've had bad experiences with braids in the past. All 3 styles you mentioned will allow you to enjoy your vacation without having to worry about hair. But If you're only going to leave it in for a week, I don't know if it would make sense to get all your hair braided or get a weave. Both are expensive and meant to last longer than that. Maybe you could go for the cornrows? Do you plan on swimming or anything? If not, maybe you could get a fall or half wig.

nychaelasymone

dlewis said:
Can you give a little bit more info on what you do to your hair and how you wear it now.

Currently, I wear my hair in a roller wrap (it's short but long enough for me to wrap every other week). I wash with Aveda Damage Remedy and condition w/ DR. Apply leave-ins and setting lotion dry, bump w/ my ceramics and that's about it. I use heat once every 2 weeks. Since, I'll be in another country and possibly swimming while I'm there, I didn't want to subject myself to doing hair for a week. I thought about doing flat twists and asking my stylist to add hair to the bun but I don't know. Maybe I could "wig" it for that week.