Opinions & Advice Please

nychaelasymone

I'm going out of the country for a week and wanted to put my hair up in either braids or a sew-in weave...I'm leaning more towards the sew-in but here's my delima, I haven't had extensions or a weave in over a year. I had issue w/ thinning around my edges and a weak spot at the top of my crown. My hair is very healthy now, the thin spots have grown back and I'm about 6 weeks post relaxer. Do you think it would be damaging to put a sew-in for over 2 weeks (put it in 1 week b4 I leave). The stylist I've chosen knows not to braid my hair tight or to apply the weave tightly but I know anything can be damaging to the hair....am I being paranoid or just cautious? Do y'all think this is okay.....I've learned a lot of ensuring my hair stays moisturized and should I perform a protein treatment b4 I undergo this weave (if I decide to)? Any advice or opinions would be lovely.....thanks LHCF

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
How long is your hair? If it's long enough, I would suggest wearing your hair in a ponytail or bun. Those are simple styles that don't require a lot of maintenance. Or you could do a rollerwrap and just wrap your hair around your head each night. If your hair is thinning, I would not put braids nor sew-in weave in it. It's not worth it.

Bosslady1

No. It should not be a problem to put in a sew in for over 2 weeks. Some people on here leave there weave in for 1-2 months! It is how your hair feels to you that counts. If you can't leave it in for no more than 2 weeks I suggest getting a nice ponytail hair style. Or just take the weave out after 2 weeks and do you!:)

I follow the C&G method of taking care of my hair in braids. I twirk it a bit so if fits my life and schedule. Check there site out if you haven't already and see if you can get some ideas.

www.growafrohairlong.com

nychaelasymone

Poohbear said:
How long is your hair? If it's long enough, I would suggest wearing your hair in a ponytail or bun. Those are simple styles that don't require a lot of maintenance. Or you could do a rollerwrap and just wrap your hair around your head each night. If your hair is thinning, I would not put braids nor sew-in weave in it. It's not worth it.

my hair is not thinning any longer it has recovered but I guess I'm a little fightened that any tension could cause thinning again and was wondering if 2 weeks is too long to keep a weave in. My hair is about 5 inches long around so I don't have many options.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
nychaelasymone said:
my hair is not thinning any longer it has recovered but I guess I'm a little fightened that any tension could cause thinning again and was wondering if 2 weeks is too long to keep a weave in. My hair is about 5 inches long around so I don't have many options.
Oh okay... I got confused when you said "My thin spots have returned". I thought you meant the thin spots came back... I guess you really meant that your hair has regrown to fill in the thin spots, correct?

nychaelasymone

Poohbear said:
Oh okay... I got confused when you said "My thin spots have returned". I thought you meant the thin spots came back... I guess you really meant that your hair has regrown to fill in the thin spots, correct?

Yes, I apologize for the confusion