Weave Question--Now I'm Scared

InJesusName

I have been reading some threads about weaves and noticed a lot of ladies have suffered damage from weaves. I got a weave a little over a week ago as a protective style, but now I am scared it is going to damage my hair.

When I joined the forum, I got tree braids as a protective style and ended up having to cut my hair because of so much damage. My hair has grown so much since my great braid massacre in August (I am not sure if my edges will ever grow back:eek: ), and I don't want to suffer another set back.

Is weave a good protective style or not? How can I ensure that I won't suffer damage after the weave is removed?

Radianthealth

I suffered traction alopecia from tree braids as well (see my photo album link in my siggy). I think weave is okay as long as you don't neglect your hair while it is underneath the weave. You still have to cleanse your scalp and moisturize your hair consistently. You still have to maintain the proper protein moisture balance.

Here is a great website with a nice regimen for braids and weaves: www.growafrohairlong.com

I don't wear sew in weaves because I like to wash my hair thoroughly twice per week. Instead I wear falls and phony ponies because these are temporary means of protective styling that give me full access to my scalp and hair.

I hope this helps:)

Last edited:

simone103

IMO, a weave in of itself won't break your hair off. It really depends on how the weave is installed and how well a person takes care of their hair underneath. You have to be really diligent about making sure the hair underneath is kept as clean as possible and is moisturized. It really shouldn't be kept in for any more than 8 weeks.

Last edited:

prettypuff1

i have worn weaves as protective styles before and that is when i have seen the most growth. It really worked for me. How were the braids installed is key to how you will retain growth and how you care for your hair will be key as well. I didnt do anything tio my hair underneith.and i left it in for a LOOOOONG time and i didnt see too much shedding or breakage. the breakage came from gluing in the top with tracks...

joyous

simone103 said:
IMO, a weave in of itself won't break your hair off. It really depends on how the weave is installed and how well a person takes care of their hair underneath. You have to be really diligent about making sure the hair underneath is kept as clean as possible and is moisturized. It really shouldn't be kept in for any more than 8 weeks.
I agree with this. I might also like to add. be careful when removing the weave or you could suffer a lot of damage as so many ladies on this board have found out, including myself. Make sure you come thru each braid individually, thoroughly removing the shedded hair or you could have major matting and loose a lot of length. My very first wash after removing, I would plait my hair into 4-6 big braids and wash and condition each braid individually. Sometimes after removing a weave the hair is so tightly coiled even if you comb thru thoroughly you can encounter some major matting.

bluediamond0829

i think what has me scared the most about wearing weaves now is how in some books ive read that the threads if done to tightly could damage your hair...thats the most scariest thing that i think of....but i have a sewn weave at this time too...so i dont know whats the best for me right now...i guess when i take it down i'll have to see how it growed my hair or if any damage resulted im in the process of transitioning so im doing alot of jumping around to make my transition as easy as possible...but i think my next hair do will be braids because i feel that they are the least damaging to my hair...

kimbaparis

i had a weave for about 10.5 weeks. it was over a net and my hair was braided with a bit of fake hair underneath. i was able to wash it by filling a applicator bottle with a little bit of clarifying shampoo and water. i would squirt that under the net and let it sit for about 10 minutes than put the shower nozzle right up against my head to rinse. i did that every 10 days. every other day i would moisturize with an applicator bottle filled with fantasia leave in hair moisturizer--it's a liquid and mtg and i was trying get a lot of growth. i applied that to keep it moist and almost every day i took one of those very long bobby pins and scratched with the rubber tipped end. i figured it would keep the hair from matting and also--it itched sometimes. my hair grew the best it ever has with very little breakage. i have never been as successful with braids. i didn't use protein though, but my hair isn't too keen on protein. two days after i took it out though, i did a joico k pak protein treatment. my hair was very happy. i'm not sure if any of this will help you out but i hope so.

MiWay

I think it just depends on how the stylist puts it in.

My first weave was fine. I had some itching problems, but that went away over time. My hair grew and I didn't suffer any damage when I took it out.

My second weave was a disaster. It was done by the same stylist. I only kept it in for 2.5 weeks, and I lost so much hair I wanted to cry. I didn't really lose as much length, as I lost thickness...and I didn't have that much to begin with. It's like the thread was so tight it cut thru my hair in different places. OR, that brand of hair just sucked the life out of my hair, but I really think the thread was just too tight.

I would like to get another weave again, but my last experience kind of scared me for a while. I think that if it's done right, it can be a great protective style.