Why do I have to cut my hair?

GinnyP

I saw a stylist this week, after washing my hair she was not happy with my ends so she wanted to trim or cut to the lenght to match the shortest part of my hair (about 2inches. There is one section in the middle back that is short (because of another hair dresser not rinsing out all the relaxer out last year causing my hair to break off again) I did not let her do it, I wanted to talk with you guys first.

My question is, do I have to cut my hair to match the shortest lenght in order for my hair to thrive and grow? Does it have to be the same lenght to grow and get thick? I have not had a good haircut in years.
I have been trimming the side sections according to the famers almanac myself over the last six months, my hair on the sides is a little longer than the back it is a past my shoulders almost APL there is one section in the back that is almost bra strap yea, but it's very thin, I wish my whole head could be this lenght but thicker, the rest is a little past my shoulders and one little section in the back is neck lenght, she said she want to make it all even and look better, she wants to cut up to the neck lenght, WHY?

Please help

Proudpiscean

I agree, I would not let her cut my hair if I didn't want it cut that short. You can wear braids and trim it gradually as it grows to a length that YOU feel comfortable with. In the meantime I would just deep condition regularly and use protein treatments as needed.

glamazon386

No. You can just trim it but not necessarily even it out. Get a little bit trimmed at a time. I have a patch in the back of my head that was only a few inches long from breakage. I wasn't going to cut all my hair off that was near shoulder length to a few inches long for that one section. Especially when you cant even see that short part when I comb my hair down.

remnant

Like the others members said ::eek: DON'T LET HER CUT YOUR HAIR!
Allow the shorthest part to grow by TLC your ends and when it will reach a comfortable lenght (armpit for example) you cut it even as you want!

Last edited:

HighlyFavored1

I guess this depends on the person and how thick/thin your hair is. Around february, the back part and nape of my hair really started breaking off from wearing my hair in high buns with tight bands and from blowouts and bantu relaxers. It got so bad, that nearly all of the length in the back was coming from the crown. Although that hair wasn't damaged, my hair looked even thinner because, if you lifted up the thin layer of hair from the crown, you could see that the nape and back were a few inches shorter.

I allowed a hairdresser at a supercuts type place to cut it so that the crown was the same length as the back. Afterward, my hair certainly looked shorter, but it was way thicker/healthier looking and it helped me start of my growth journey with a better head of hair. Plus, when i looked on the ground, there was hardly any hair at all. If you're in my position, you might benefit too.

I hope the pictures show up...The first picture is grainy but you can see how thin my ends were. The next picture is about a month after the trim, this past may.

Attachments

• CIMG24861.JPG
    CIMG24861.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 17
  • April 21 20061.JPG
    April 21 20061.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 16

GinnyP

Hey thanks guys for all your help and support, I will not let her touch my hair! I had that gut feeling she was trying to cut it too short, she even offered to cut it free, nah, I have been burnt too many times by hair stylist I know how they are especially since I joined this board.

I am going to wear braids or a weave or continue with my protective hair styles until it grows out a little more.

Thanks again!!