Style tips for natural 4s?

Fine 4s

I attempted to do a style by MsVaughnTV but it was an epic fail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gljhs_5Mtg4&sns=em

I can't flat twist :(
By the time I kept practicing, my hair has shrinking, drying, tangling and felt rough.
I'm assuming I should not have done this on wet hair?
I had finished my DC, applied Mizani H2O and sealed with JBCO. It was also a bit sticky (too much JBCO).
I was so frustrated and upset when I gave up. I gathered my hair in a bun and punished my hair by slapping some gel on the edges lol

Any easy styles so I don't have to keep going back to buns or twists (and styles with twists as foundation)?

Fine 4s

Since I'm trying to stay away from heat completely until 2014 (I might do a length check in 2013 though), that won't work for me.

But I also realized that I can't stand the smell of Mizani H20. Giving that away too...gave away that Diva Curl no poo mess...

Nonie

Fine 4s, can you reproduce the do with a side French braid?

I can't flat twist either but when I do my cornrows with my hands to the side, it comes out looking like a flat twist. It's how I did these cornrows...

Here's a close up:

It's also how I did these:

I think you could also get the same effect by just rolling you hair French roll style and using those spiral thingies JJamiah posted to hold it in place...kinda like I did with my twists here: