Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

BostonMaria

I'm frustrated with my hair. I'll be 5 years natural in Sept and I still feel like I'm trying to figure it out. I hate shrinkage and wish I could do more styles with it. I watch YouTube but my hair never comes out the way it does for the women on the videos.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

dicapr

I am very frustrated with SSK. I am throwing in the towel in the no heat thing and adding heat to my regimine. I plan to use heat 2x a month but still wash weekly. One week I will blow dry and the next week will be a recovery week where I can baby my hair with moisture. I am beginning to think that the problem with using heat is that once straight we try to go 2-4 weeks without a good DC. I am hoping that weekly dc and bi-weekly heat will be the answer.

Bublin

Noooo it is a trap @Bublin don't use that denman modified or not. With or without conditioner it matters not. The midshaft splits will show up months later. I am still dealing with those as my hair grows longer. And don't think of the tangle teaser either.

HanaKuroi
Eeeek, really :blush:. I thought alot of naturals used the denman :perplexed.
Well, i used it just the once. Perhaps it was the Aussie Conditioner that was more of a success in detangling than the Denman itself.

Maybe i'll just stick to my HS combs.

Nonie

:giggle: @DarkJoy sowwy for calling you out, but you should know better. You're not a newbie so I wasn't 'bout to spare you.

Your hair does look fluffy/soft and so full/thick. I am with you: enjoy that length as long as you can. I really do like it!

stacy

I do believe that brushing was the cause of my damage (mid shaft splits). I just decided to cut all of my hair off and start over. I am not so sure what to do about ssk. Any natural wear their hair primarily in braids? I am wondering if keeping the hair braided will prevent/reduce ssk.

Cruzankink

UPDATE: This is week 5 of my 8 week CGM trial period. Things are going very well! :grin: I don't know if it is the CGM, my recent protein treatment, or a combo of both but, I did my regular weekend routine (prepoo w/ EVOO, co-wash, DC), my hair continues to feel moisturized and my coils are still defined. As usual, (thank goodness) I've noticed hardly any breakage.

STRUGGLES: I'm still struggling w/ the psychological/emotional effects of my BC. When I decided to BC I told close family, friends and colleagues of my decision to minimize the shock. Most were supportive others weren't. It's been 3 months since my BC but I still get snide remarks from my mother and I continue to notice how some colleagues look at me w/ pity. I try not to let it bother me but sometimes it does particularly on bad hair days. Honestly, I miss my long hair. I see how some friends/colleagues pay lots of money to put in weaves that are the same length of my relaxed hair. Not only do they look good but I realize that I had it and let it go. Don't get me wrong, I love my natural hair but dealing w/ shrinkage (to the extent that few people notice just how much my hair has grown) and trying to think of innovative ways to style a TWA makes me wish it was longer. OK I've vented hope this helps anyone going through the same thing.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Struggling with keeping my hair moisturized! I want to give up sooooooo bad. I'm not updating my hair journal like I need to so I can keep up with what is not working.

So last wash day, I:

1. Clarified with diluted Redken Cleansing Cream.
2. Used Rosa Mosqueta to DC for 1 hr w/o heat/
3. Sprayed Aussie Hair Insurance on damp hair.
4. Twisted with Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream.

Result: Hair was soft while wet and twisting, but once dry, it was a nightmare.

So, I decided to re-do this again. Saturday morning, I did the following:

1. Co-Washed with Trader Joe's Nourishing Conditioner
2. Did a quick DC with Darcy's Pumpkin Seed Conditioner under the dryer for 30 mins.
3. Rinsed with warm water, then proceeded to twist on naked hair with Qhemet AOHC. I also made sure to use a minimal amount of the AOHC.
4. I also trimmed my ends, although I am sure there is more that needs to go. :ohwell:

Result: Hair was still dry.

Did I do something wrong?

dicapr

I did a light blowdry last week after wash day. I really do feel that completely getting the curl out of my hair really helped my ends. I had less issues detangling on wash day. This week is my rest week. I airdried in two big plats. Tomorrow I will stretch with my Carusos-this is actually a highly effective stretching method but reverts 2xs as fast as my blowdried hair.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Update: My little TWA was great! Fantastic ends, soft, manageable. Was liking the light heat and so on. So on the fourth, I was asked to march in our city's big 2.75 mi 4th of July parade. It was 85o that day! I had a party to go to right after so ran home and decided that a wng wouldn't hurt. I sealed with sulfur grease and styled with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel.

BIG MISTAKE
2 days into my WNG there were SSKs. I have to dust. Not only that but the ECOSTYLER was an ***'ing joke. I havent used it since March and wondered why at that time my eczema was so bad. By the 3rd day last week I had eczema itch and scabs. Now I know. Ecostyler also dried my hair. I was so happy to wash on the 4th day. I think the only thing that maintained my hair (kept it somewhat soft) was the teas spritz and the Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

So after a pre-wash DC of the AO HSR (yes, I gots me one over the weekend!) and a post-wash DC of the SM Deep Treatment, my hair was good to go. I only blow-dried and added Castor Oil after that.

Whew! It's great to know what works--but even BETTER to know what doesnt.

Wash n Goes? NEVER! EcoStyler? NEVER EVER! Done. lol

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
UPDATE: This is week 5 of my 8 week CGM trial period. Things are going very well! :grin: I don't know if it is the CGM, my recent protein treatment, or a combo of both but, I did my regular weekend routine (prepoo w/ EVOO, co-wash, DC), my hair continues to feel moisturized and my coils are still defined. As usual, (thank goodness) I've noticed hardly any breakage.

STRUGGLES: I'm still struggling w/ the psychological/emotional effects of my BC. When I decided to BC I told close family, friends and colleagues of my decision to minimize the shock. Most were supportive others weren't. It's been 3 months since my BC but I still get snide remarks from my mother and I continue to notice how some colleagues look at me w/ pity. I try not to let it bother me but sometimes it does particularly on bad hair days. Honestly, I miss my long hair. I see how some friends/colleagues pay lots of money to put in weaves that are the same length of my relaxed hair. Not only do they look good but I realize that I had it and let it go. Don't get me wrong, I love my natural hair but dealing w/ shrinkage (to the extent that few people notice just how much my hair has grown) and trying to think of innovative ways to style a TWA makes me wish it was longer. OK I've vented hope this helps anyone going through the same thing.
Well, you know, Cruzankink haters gone hate no matter what. They will be sooo jealous in a year when your hair way surpasses theirs in gorg-factor. lol. You did a good thing for your body, not just your hair, in ditching the creamy crack. Our skin/scalp is a membrane that lets those chemicals into our body system. So, in the long run you will be healthier. Period.

Shrinkage ain't no joke, tho. All that time before my BC, I thought my hair wasn't growin! After that first flat iron, I was completely surprised! Don't worry, TWAs don't last long and as you grow with your hair you will find safe and even more beautiful ways to keep it styled.

We got yer back at LHCF!! :yep: :giveheart:

AtlantaJJ

Jmartjrmd said:
OK, This is my first post in here and I haven't yet read through the other posts but here is my problem.

I did the big chop in Sept of 2009. When I chopped it was down to maybe 1/2 inch of hair. I did the bc with hopes of growing some beautiful long flowing hair like I've seen on here.

Fast forward to now and my hair looks no different than when I had a relaxer. It's thin, and while it's grown it hasn't grown much considering all the time that has passed.

I {foolishly} thought that going natural was going to improve my hair and have it looking like I've always dreamed. But sadly it looks the same. :0( :0(

I'm just frustrated at this point. I see all the beautiful hair on here and I want it but mine looks nothing like the ladies that have been able to grow their hair.

I even had hope seeing some people that started with hair like mine but managed to get it looking great.

So here is what I do:
I wash 1-2 times per week.
I moisturize daily with s curl and seal with evoo or coconut oil
I take a mulitvit and silica daily
I deep condition once a week
I do aphogee treatment once every 6 weeks
I keep my hair braided and use wigs as my protective style

I'm giving up on the dream of hair down my back. If I could just get it to a thicker shoulder length I'd be really happy.

As far as hair type I'm not sure.

Any suggestions for me? Or anyone have/had hair like mine and was able to make it better over time.

I'll take any help I can get.

Jmartjrmd I had a medical set back a little over 2 years ago that put me into a similar situation. I can share what I have been doing to grow my hair back this time around. I am also learning all I can about my hair type and i avoid comparing my hair to others. For me, fitness and nutrition improvements have helped my hair the most I measure my progress against myself.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF app

Cruzankink

Well, you know, @Cruzankink haters gone hate no matter what. They will be sooo jealous in a year when your hair way surpasses theirs in gorg-factor. lol. You did a good thing for your body, not just your hair, in ditching the creamy crack. Our skin/scalp is a membrane that lets those chemicals into our body system. So, in the long run you will be healthier. Period.

Shrinkage ain't no joke, tho. All that time before my BC, I thought my hair wasn't growin! After that first flat iron, I was completely surprised! Don't worry, TWAs don't last long and as you grow with your hair you will find safe and even more beautiful ways to keep it styled.

We got yer back at LHCF!! :yep: :giveheart:

Thanx for your support DarkJoy !!! I know what you say is true bc it was part of the reason I BC. Its just that I'm the only one is my circle that is going through this journey and it gets lonely. It's reassuring that I have support at LHCF. Speaking of skin/scalp, I just had a flashback of my ralaxed days when I had dry itchy scalp and my dandruff resembled a Nor'easter. I was so embarrased that I'ld wash my hair before going to the salon to spare myself any questions/comments about my dandruff. At the time I thought I just had dry scalp. Now my scalp looks and feels healthy. I have yet to see a flake. Now I know that my dry scalp was inflammation caused by relaxers. You are also correct that I will not have a TWA for long. But I'll let you know that this TWA process is giving me a crash course in patience. Apparently you had a similar experience w/ your WnG as I did a couple weeks ago. The silver lining in our experience is that we now know we don't have WnG hair. :nono:

Arian I am not familiar w/ the products you mentioned except for Qhemet Amla & Olive Heavy Cream (AOHC). So I don't know if they contain any sulfates or silicones. Although I've used AOHC, I haven't since I started CGM. The base in AOHC is castor oil (CO). As you may be aware oil seals hair moisture. The molecules in CO are a lot bigger than those in coconut, jajoba, or olive oil. Consequently, is it more difficult to penetrate the hair shaft. The issue some naturals have w/ CO is that since it doesn't penetrate easily it lays on the hair forming buildup and often acts as a cone in preventing moisture from penetrating the hair. I don't want to get on the CGM soapbox but I've found that abstaining from fates, cones and certain oils work to keep my hair moisturized. Try it for about 4 weeks to see how it works for you.

daviine

Great thread. I'm still transitioning but look forward to learning more here. Cruzankink Sorry for what you're going through. Sometimes people can be so ugly and ignorant.

LHCF is fantastic bc I don't have any IRL friends who are natural. The few naturals I know do nothing to their hair so I can't even really discuss hair with them w/o seeming obsessed (although I may be lol).

I love your routine and copied it because I want to try my three fave things together (prepoo, CW,DC).

Hugs to you and happy hair growing. :D

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ
Thanks for your reply. I'd love to hear what's working for your hair.

I'm going to join the Aloe Vera Juice Challenge for one thing! I know aloe is great for hair growth, adding moisture to your DC's, spritzes and leave ins. I like to spray straight AVJ directly to my scalp after I workout while my pores are open. I swear that is giving me a growth surge. I'm also using Ayurveda treatments to help thicken my hair.

I hide my hair a lot too which cuts way down on my manipulation. This has helped me retain most of my growth, I used to be a slow grower, that's changing now thanks to the knowledge I'm gaining on LHCF :grin:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Jmartjrmd said:
So here is what I do:
I wash 1-2 times per week.
I moisturize daily with s curl and seal with evoo or coconut oil
I take a mulitvit and silica daily
I deep condition once a week
I do aphogee treatment once every 6 weeks
I keep my hair braided and use wigs as my protective style

As far as hair type I'm not sure.

Any suggestions for me? Or anyone have/had hair like mine and was able to make it better over time.

I'll take any help I can get.
Welcome to the club Jmartjrmd!
I have a few questions to maybe get you more help:
1. Do you have fine strands or thicker strands?
2. What are you using to comb/brush?
3. Using heat?
4. What's your DC product?
5. Do you trim?
6. Does it feel dry or moisturized after washing but before adding product?

I'm finding that figuring out that I have fine hair was crucial. I wig'd it all last spring to fall and didn't grow an inch. Why? Fine hair is too fragile to keep cornrowed all the time. Its a lot of pulling and stress. At least for me.

The big killer? Wet styling! The strands were snapping as I braided or twisted. Ugh.

Besides my recent bc, my hair was actually retaining just fine after I kept it out of wigs and PSs and just wearing it out. I now twist or braid out on dry hair. I also use low heat.

Perhaps examining your implements will help us figure it out too.

Cruzankink

Great thread. I'm still transitioning but look forward to learning more here. @Cruzankink Sorry for what you're going through. Sometimes people can be so ugly and ignorant.

LHCF is fantastic bc I don't have any IRL friends who are natural. The few naturals I know do nothing to their hair so I can't even really discuss hair with them w/o seeming obsessed (although I may be lol).

I love your routine and copied it because I want to try my three fave things together (prepoo, CW,DC).

Hugs to you and happy hair growing. :D

daviine Thanx for your support! I try to keep my routine simple. I hope it works for you.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Ugh. Still dealing with the scalp nightmare from EcoStyler. Its still itches and I forget and scratch it so it keeps scabbing! Yuck.

Anyway, grateful that I will be able to wash tonight. Will use the gpb tonight and see how my hair likes it this time...

I have noticed my twa is hecka thicker! So that's good news...

APrayer4Hair

My hair feels horrible!

Ok So I think I've learned my first few things about my natural hair:

1. Overnight DC is a dayum :nono: my scalp was itching like the dickens

2. Since my scalp was itchy I decided I needed to poo instead of CW.... I used Creamy aloe poo which my relaxed hair loved...my fro was like heck no! Dry city!

Even after a quick DC with Aussie 3mm and moisturizing it still feels a little dry so a CW is def in order. I think me and sulfates ain't friends no mo :nono: :nono: :nono:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
My hair feels horrible!

Ok So I think I've learned my first few things about my natural hair:

1. Overnight DC is a dayum :nono: my scalp was itching like the dickens

2. Since my scalp was itchy I decided I needed to poo instead of CW.... I used Creamy aloe poo which my relaxed hair loved...my fro was like heck no! Dry city!

Even after a quick DC with Aussie 3mm and moisturizing it still feels a little dry so a CW is def in order. I think me and sulfates ain't friends no mo :nono: :nono: :nono:
Awww Sorry APrayer4Hair.

It could be the proteins too. And I think the itchiness factor with the DC depends on which brand. My hair starts washing away in the sink with sulfates and even non-sulfate shampoo. It really hates the detergents/sudsy washes so it's now mudwashing and the hair stays on the head. Aloe is not my friend either. It gets all dried out and wiry.

You're not alone in this thing! What works for others might not work for you. It takes a while to get the reggi down....

Cruzankink

Maybe this isn't the right thread to post my rant but here I go...

I have been getting great results w/ Organical's Deep Conditioning Creme blended w/ honeyquat but b4 I invested in the 7 lb jug, I wanted to see what other products were out there to try. The first site I checked out was Ouidad.com. Under the curl type tab, I clicked kinky then went to the Deep Treatment (DT). When I looked at the product details I immediately felt my chest tighting and started gasping for air. No, there wasn't a pic of Edris Elba :cupidarrow:, my reaction was simply shock. This chick is selling a 2.5 oz. sample of the DT for $25; the 8 oz bottle is $50!!! What's even more appalling is that the ingredients aren't any more special than all natural products that's are a fraction of the cost!

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Lactamide MEA, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydro-lyzed Soy Protein, Cystine Bis-pg-propyl Silantriol, Sodium PCA, Betaine, Glycine, Alanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Arginine, Lycine, Glutamic Acid, Myrist-amine Oxide, Polyquaternium-11, Butylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-59, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

I don't want anyone to feel like I'm picking on this company but it must be said: there's a vdo on her site that shows her walking the streets of NY (I think) advising people how to care for their culry hair when her hair looks like she combed it w/ an egg beater. I believe that if someone is charging $50for an 8oz bottle of conditioner, I expect their hair to look photo shoot ready... ALWAYS!

What's even more disappointing is hers isn't the only website charging inflated prices. (I didn't realize just how many they are out there until today.) Grant it, I have never tried the products that I've seen on these sites so I can't say whether its Gods gift to kinky hair, who knows. Neither do I mind paying $ for a great product but I'm certainly NOT going to line the pockets of anyone for a typical hair product w/ typical ingredients but at ridiculous prices. Now, I am fully aware that this practice did not start w/ hair products catered to curly/natural/kinky hair. However, considering that many naturals/kinkies/curlies achieve the best results using natural ingredients they can buy themselves and mix at home, I find it incredulous that companies market high priced product. I guess if people continuie to buy high dollar conditioners the companies will continue to charge that much.

In short, me posting this is not intended bash any company but simply to reassure you that having natural/kinky/culry hair does not have to be expensive. In fact, part of the reason I went natural is to cut down on expense. Those of you who are willing to pay $50+ for an 8 oz conditioner, I'm not knocking you. If you like it then by all means continue. I feel like I'm being conned, just saying. OK I'm done. :meditate:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
^^^Unless a product could guarantee growing me out like 2inches a month, I wouldn't pay that ish either. Matter of fact, that ain't even really a natural product. There's some chemical looking names that are not related to botanicals in any way.

I make my own butters. Sure, I may spend $20 on the ingredients, but I get like 6-8months worth of mixtressing out of them for both hair AND skin care for my daughter AND me. That's really just pennies a day for daily use on all natural organic products.

Some folks just take advantage.

Last edited:

APrayer4Hair

Thank u DarkJoy yeah I def think I need to stick to what I've been doing which is my daily CW and go. Maybe this is just the stage my hair is in now but I think I have to keep it really simple. CW & moisturize daily and that's it. :yep:

ETA: which Mudwash scent do u use and how often do u Mudwash? Very interested in purchasing TIA

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
APrayer4Hair... well I actually use the Shea Moisture Purification Masque. Can get it at Target or Walgreens. When I need to clarify (I use grease), I'll throw in some extra betonite clay and some baking soda. No problems. And no breaking hair anymore!

R.A.A.H

Hair profile? 4B, thin, fine hair

Reggie and products? i haven't decided on a regimen but so far i've been cowashing everyday, deep conditioning at least once or twice a week, ACV when i need it, clarify every 4 weeks (or first and last sunday of each month), and i seal with either olive oil coconut oil (not too much i think my hair doesn't like it much) and this hot six oil i have (this defines my curls more), sometimes i'll use sulfur 8, i apply MN almost everyday, and i use hollywood beauty castor oil every other day.

How do you style your hair? i have a very TWA. my hair in the middle is missing because of my hair pulling disorder, but it is growing out nicely. i have controlled it a bit. i wear WIGS and WIGS and i love it because i can scratch my scalp if need to and i can take it off whenever i want! i do want braids so im trying to let my hair growout enough in the middle for the Africans to grip it!

What problems do you have with your hair?
SPLIT ENDS & SSKS - i suffer GREATLY from these. i know all my hair doesn't have splits, but some hairs have both splits and ssks either or. I feel that the ssks are there to protect my hair shaft from splits, almost (lol). I DONT KNOW HOW THO. i don't use heat, (i dont even blow dry!) i don't braids, twists, (i don't have enough hair!) as a child, my mom said my hair did knot up a bit. maybe it's just how my hair is? that's why im letting it all grow out, split ends and all so i can braid it all up and keep it all braided up!

knots out of this world! - as previously stated, my knots are really SSKS combining with other SSKS and becoming as big as O <--that. it's driving me insane.

HanaKuroi

R.A.A.H said:

Reggie and products? i haven't decided on a regimen but so far i've been cowashing everyday, deep conditioning at least once or twice a week, ACV when i need it, clarify every 4 weeks (or first and last sunday of each month), and i seal with either olive oil coconut oil (not too much i think my hair doesn't like it much) and this hot six oil i have (this defines my curls more), sometimes i'll use sulfur 8, i apply MN almost everyday, and i use hollywood beauty castor oil every other day.

How do you style your hair? i have a very TWA. my hair in the middle is missing because of my hair pulling disorder, but it is growing out nicely. i have controlled it a bit. i wear WIGS and WIGS and i love it because i can scratch my scalp if need to and i can take it off whenever i want! i do want braids so im trying to let my hair growout enough in the middle for the Africans to grip it!

SPLIT ENDS & SSKS - i suffer GREATLY from these. i know all my hair doesn't have splits, but some hairs have both splits and ssks either or. I feel that the ssks are there to protect my hair shaft from splits, almost (lol). I DONT KNOW HOW THO. i don't use heat, (i dont even blow dry!) i don't braids, twists, (i don't have enough hair!) as a child, my mom said my hair did knot up a bit. maybe it's just how my hair is? that's why im letting it all grow out, split ends and all so i can braid it all up and keep it all braided up!

knots out of this world! - as previously stated, my knots are really SSKS combining with other SSKS and becoming as big as O <--that. it's driving me insane.

What do you use to Moisturize with? Why are you clarifying so often. What are you cowashing with? Oils are not moisture. Do you use any creams or moisturizers before you seal. I think you ssk are from lack of m/s.

Victoria44

Hair profile? 4a/b, mostly coarse, and a few fine areas, medium density, low porosity

Reggie and products? wash/dc bi weekly w/ moisturizing shampoo, and cholesterol DC. Moisturize and seal daily with oyin handmade hair dew and castor oil. Baggy at night 3-4 days of the week , clarify every 2 months, protein every 2 months

How do you style your hair? mini-twists, braid outs, twist outs

What problems do you have with your hair? So many problems lol. My hair always feels hard and dry. I can't seem to keep it moisturized at all after it dries. I tried incorporating heat/steaming while DCing to raise my cuticles, but it doesn't make much of a difference once my hair is fully dry. And the coarseness makes my hair feel wiry and hard, like it can snap at any second.

I have a lottt of mid shaft splits, and regular splits. I think most of them came from the last time I got my hair braided. The lady kept switching from the wide tooth comb I gave her to her own fine tooth rat tail comb. The ends of my hair look horrible, with long holes within the strands, and splits. I can't get my self to cut more than half an inch every 2 months so its a very slow process getting rid of the damage. I'm afraid of what i'm going to see when I straighten in novemeber :ohwell:

I have a thin section of hair in my crown, about 1/2 a cm wide that mysteriously broke off. Its the coarsest section of my head, and the scalp there is always sore. It broke off to about 1 1/2 in. long, and doesnt seem to be growing back. So sad..

faithVA

Hair profile? 4a/b, mostly coarse, and a few fine areas, medium density, low porosity

Reggie and products? wash/dc bi weekly w/ moisturizing shampoo, and cholesterol DC. Moisturize and seal daily with oyin handmade hair dew and castor oil. Baggy at night 3-4 days of the week , clarify every 2 months, protein every 2 months

What problems do you have with your hair? So many problems lol. My hair always feels hard and dry. I can't seem to keep it moisturized at all after it dries. I tried incorporating heat/steaming while DCing to raise my cuticles, but it doesn't make much of a difference once my hair is fully dry. And the coarseness makes my hair feel wiry and hard, like it can snap at any second.

I have a lottt of mid shaft splits, and regular splits. I think most of them came from the last time I got my hair braided. The lady kept switching from the wide tooth comb I gave her to her own fine tooth rat tail comb. The ends of my hair look horrible, with long holes within the strands, and splits. I can't get my self to cut more than half an inch every 2 months so its a very slow process getting rid of the damage. I'm afraid of what i'm going to see when I straighten in novemeber :ohwell:

I have a thin section of hair in my crown, about 1/2 a cm wide that mysteriously broke off. Its the coarsest section of my head, and the scalp there is always sore. It broke off to about 1 1/2 in. long, and doesnt seem to be growing back. So sad..

This sounds so very much like my hair. I do hope it turns around for you.

pookaloo83

Victoria44 said:

But your hair always looks so pretty to me!

Sent From Mah Phone

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Welcome R.A.A.H! Ahhh another thin, fine haired sister! Well... I'll tell ya, this stuff aint easy! Getting a reggie down that works for us it tougher than most, I think...

Are you just co-washing and go'ing? I'm finding for my fine hair (even my TWA--I got about 2 inches), it murders my hair. Why? Dang SSKs! They seem to form most when just leaving it. I've resorted to low heat to give it a little straightening to avoid SSks. So far so good. IDK how that would work on short hair? Maybe blowdry on cool or medium while brushing, just to get it barely straight enough so your ends don't curl on themselves and each other.

What are the actual product names you're using? Are you getting a protein/moisture balance? I think fine hairs need protein to make them stronger to avoid snapping. I recently found this out....just as I had to chop off from all the SSK and color damage a cpl weeks ago. :nono:

That's my .02. HTH

How do you style your hair? i have a very TWA.

SPLIT ENDS & SSKS - i suffer GREATLY from these. i know all my hair doesn't have splits, but some hairs have both splits and ssks either or.