Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

Cruzankink said:
DarkJoy Giiirrrrlllll, I feel you!!!! I am so sick & tired of twisting my hair! I don't want my hair maintenance to feel like a chore. I am definately going to experiment WnG using different products etc. 'Cause the time it takes to twist my hair is taking the joy away from being natural.

How bout simply moisturizing and dealing and defining with Eco styler gel to make your curls pop, take a couple of minutes

I wish I could use ecostyler! However the prev update before this one, I mentioned that eco aggravates the eczema. I had white flakes, scabs and itchies for a week just after using it once! Grrr..took 2 washes to clear that ish out.

Idk...I will keep trying. I do have a batch of flaxseed gel I made. Might try it though generally the hold isn't enough? At least it isn't irritating like eco...

*sigh*

Have u tried the original moxie gel? It has flaxseed gel in it.I like the moxie gel. I have eczema too and that must have been terrible! You could try deva curl gel.

Have u tried the original moxie gel? It has flaxseed gel in it.I like the moxie gel. I have eczema too and that must have been terrible! You could try deva curl gel.
It WAS terrible HanaKuroi! I will try the flax gel here 3 times before I give up and move on to moxie. Is the shrinkage massive?

@DarkJoy Giiirrrrlllll, I feel you!!!! I am so sick & tired of twisting my hair! I don't want my hair maintenance to feel like a chore. I am definately going to experiment WnG using different products etc. 'Cause the time it takes to twist my hair is taking the joy away from being natural.
It sure is Cruzankink! I spend ~45 mins a night twisting this mess at after DD is in bed. I used to use that time for my arts and crafting or just reading a book. haven't been able to touch a single project or read for months due to this twisting ritual. I don't get 2nd day hair and I work a very professional and conservative job, so just can't let it go...Ugh! :sad: I'll keep you updated on what I try...
Decided on an impromptu co-wash and another DC for the breakage from the Jam Custard tonight. If not too tired I will get the dusting out the way. Then I'll seal with something and try the flax gel, then stretch my overnight. see how that looks in the morning... maybe I'll go to work a mess, but hopefully the breakage will stop. *deep sigh*

DarkJoy I don't think the shriknagrle is massive. I will try it without twisting and tell you.

Eta: are you going to primarily use this for a wash and go or twist outs.

Last edited:
Today is Try #2 for a SSK-free WnG.

Last night I washed & clarified with baking soda. DCd with SM Deep Treatment. Dusted and SnD'd SSKs from the last attempt. Then I was ready to start.

Procedure: used SM condish as a leave in. Applied sulfur grease to seal. Used flax gel. Smoothed in sections. Slept on it using my satin pillow case. Refreshed with SM curl enhancing smoothie.

Results: Best curl definition I've ever had. 18 hrs later it looks like I had a texturizer. Even though its massively shrunk, I got compliments at my extra conservative all-white ppl job (I'm the only BW).

Unfortunately, I was heavy handed and it was greasy as h3ll. So much so that my skin broke out overnight despite my washing technique. Friday is wash day and I will try it again with less product.

PS: the baking soda clarifying/SD took out the rest of that disgusting Jam Custard. No more breakage so far as I can see.

Last edited:
HanaKuroi said:
DarkJoy I don't think the shriknagrle is massive. I will try it without twisting and tell you.

Eta: are you going to primarily use this for a wash and go or twist outs.

HanaKuroi: thanks for the recommend btw. It will be part of my WnG mission. Lol

after a good trim (cut off from 1 to 3 inches of hair), i figured i would not have anymore breakage. so far so good, then 2 days later i see a strand that looks badly damaged. splits going all up the shaft. depressed, i lay down here typing this post.

i need daggone relaxer. im so fed up with this SSK and splits for no reason. smh. i don't use heat or anything, and everytime i find a solution, it never is the right answer. i wanna chop it all off but i want to wear braids before school starts, so i need at least 2 inches of hair. i move in my apartment aug 18. i got too much to do with little time.

DarkJoy sm smoothie is not the business at alllll. That said do you put anything on top of the gel? Oyin hair dew, oil, butters or creams?
Do you grease your ends?

R.A.A.H said:
after a good trim (cut off from 1 to 3 inches of hair), i figured i would not have anymore breakage. so far so good, then 2 days later i see a strand that looks badly damaged. splits going all up the shaft. depressed, i lay down here typing this post.

i need daggone relaxer. im so fed up with this SSK and splits for no reason. smh. i don't use heat or anything, and everytime i find a solution, it never is the right answer. i wanna chop it all off but i want to wear braids before school starts, so i need at least 2 inches of hair. i move in my apartment aug 18. i got too much to do with little time.

Are u using brushes, tangle teasers or combs? I only finger detangle. I was getting mechanical damage from my denman and tangle teaser.

Are u using seamless combs? R.A.A.H.

Are u using brushes, tangle teasers or combs? I only finger detangle. I was getting mechanical damage from my denman and tangle teaser.

Are u using seamless combs? @R.A.A.H.
i use this comb.
f60918d95b74b807_Conair_Comb_13385_Lavender_350.jpg

@DarkJoy sm smoothie is not the business at alllll. That said do you put anything on top of the gel? Oyin hair dew, oil, butters or creams?
Do you grease your ends?
My hair hates SM Smoothie when it's wet HanaKuroi. Makes it scraggly and oily. Dry? Loves it! Soaks it right up. I used grease on the length to seal in the leave in. Then flax seed gel on top. Nothing over the gel. The smoothie I used to refresh it in the morning. It seems to loosen the coil a bit.

On to Day 2! Lets see if I get 2nd day hair and SSKs.

Last night I washed & clarified with baking soda. DCd with SM Deep Treatment. Dusted and SnD'd SSKs from the last attempt. Then I was ready to start.

Procedure: used SM condish as a leave in. Applied sulfur grease to seal. Used flax gel. Smoothed in sections. Slept on it using my satin pillow case. Refreshed with SM curl enhancing smoothie.

Results: Best curl definition I've ever had. 18 hrs later it looks like I had a texturizer. Even though its massively shrunk, I got compliments at my extra conservative all-white ppl job (I'm the only BW).

Unfortunately, I was heavy handed and it was greasy as h3ll. So much so that my skin broke out overnight despite my washing technique. Friday is wash day and I will try it again with less product.

PS: the baking soda clarifying/SD took out the rest of that disgusting Jam Custard. No more breakage so far as I can see.

DarkJoy keep us updated!...it would be awesome if that works for you bc SM CES is one of my fave products so Ive tried so far. I know I will struggle with SSKs when Im natural bc Im only about 6 months post and already get them. There is a mini section I need to chop bc of breakage and SSKs....it feels rough and I feel little balls...has to be SSKs.

PS Im the only BW at my job too :perplexed I get so tired of answering questions about my hair and questions on behalf of the black race in general lol.

@DarkJoy I revel in your success :dance7:!

@R.A.A.H Trust and believe that I've been there and whatever your decision is I'm supportive! Judging by what you wrote, I believe the best thing you did was to trim. Unfortunately, trimming does not get rid off all the damaged hair but on the positive side, your hair is a lot stronger and it provides a fresh start to a new regimen whatever you decide it to be.

When I read about hair with mid shaft splits and split ends w/ out using heat the first thing that comes to mind is: What styling tools are you using and how are you using them? If you haven't already invest in seamless combs. Regular combs have seams that are abrasive to the hair chipping the hair cuticle causing mid shaft split and/or split ends. When you comb your hair (even w/ seamless combs) do so while its wet and soaked w/ conditioner so that there is less friction b/w the comb and your hair. Also, do not brush your hair - Denman brush included. Brushes have more teeth than combs thus more surface area for abrasive contact and they also rip and snap hair. Although it seems simple and possibly insignificant, you'll be surprised what changing your styling tools do for the health of your hair.

Last edited:
WnG Day 1: (With all my WnG, I‘d thoroughly detangle my hair, baggy overnite and didn’t manipulate curl pattern for an uncompromised assessment.)

Products: While hair was dripping wet, I raked in Paul Mitchell’s “The Conditioner” as a moisturizer, sealed w/ EVOO and used EcoStyler w/ Olive Oil for hold.

Observations: Apparently, I used way too much product cause I looked like a Q-tip w/ all the white residue. So I rinsed it out and started again w/ less product. There was still some white residue but it was less visible. No more putting product on dripping wet hair. It makes a mess and I think my hair shrinks more. Also I'll do my WnG at nite instead of in the a.m. to prevent any catastrophies and not take to much time in my a.m. routine.

Curl Definition/Dryness: My hair clumped beautifully while wet. However, the clumps and definitions disappeared when my hair dried... and boy did it get dry and dull!

Tangles/SSK: I co-washed when I got home. Suprisingly, considering how dry my hair was, detangling was about an 8 on a scale of 1-10, ten being the easiest detangle. Didn't notice any SSK. Maybe they were there but they certainly didn't announce their presense as in my prior experience w/ WnG. This is encouraging!

Tweaks: Use a heavier moisturizer. I'm not going to add gel just to see how my hair reacts.

Pic below of WnG day 1 results.

WnG Day1 Side View.JPG

Last edited:
Cruzankink said:
WnG Day 1: (With all my WnG, I‘d thoroughly detangle my hair, baggy overnite and didn’t manipulate curl pattern for an uncompromised assessment.)

Products: While hair was dripping wet, I raked in Paul Mitchell’s “The Conditioner” as a moisturizer, sealed w/ EVOO and used EcoStyler w/ Olive Oil for hold.

Observations: Apparently, I used way too much product cause I looked like a Q-tip w/ all the white residue. So I rinsed it out and started again w/ less product. There was still some white residue but it was less visible. No more putting product on dripping wet hair. It makes a mess and I think my hair shrinks more. Also I'll do my WnG at nite instead of in the a.m. to prevent any catastrophies and not take to much time in my a.m. routine.

Curl Definition/Dryness: My hair clumped beautifully while wet. However, the clumps and definitions disappeared when my hair dried... and boy did it get dry and dull!

Tangles/SSK: I co-washed when I got home. Suprisingly, considering how dry my hair was, detangling was about an 8 on a scale of 1-10, ten being the easiest detangle. Didn't notice any SSK. Maybe they were there but they certainly didn't announce their presense as in my prior experience w/ WnG. This is encouraging!

Tweaks: Use a heavier moisturizer. I'm not going to add gel just to see how my hair reacts.

Pic below of WnG day 1 results.

You still need an oil under. You need to layer oil, conditioner or gel or gel conditioner. Oil as a base. I like oyin hair dew sealed with jbco then gel/watery condtioner or vice versa

Last edited:
Hello all:)
Im Definitely struggling with my hair.
Type: 4a/4b fine, cottony, coily strands
About 2 1/2 years post BC
Regimen: wash and deep condition weekly, detangle and wear in bun or puff, occasional braid outs

My main problem is shedding followed by split ends and detangling. Also finding quick styles. I have been wearing my hair straight lately which makes washing and detangling much easier. Still sheds a lot which has been a problem since day 1. And I still wear it up or in a pony since my ends don't look neat. I've done a few trims through out my journey but I'm thinking about doing a more serious cut to see if that helps. The split ends are driving me crazy. Nothing really seems to moisturize my hair. My relaxed journey was much easier. I am truly struggling with my natural hair. I'm trying to give it more time before I do anything drastic.

OMG Yall! I cant even decide what to do with myself in the evenings--all this time on my hands since they are not busy twisting my 'fro! lol I live the wng! No SSKs yet!
-------------------------------
Taurusgirl
Your hair may not be dry. It could be the accumulation of damage (maybe heat damage?). Dead hair doesn't do much. I'm not anti-heat. I blow dry to help my tangly ends and sometimes flat iron. Anyhoo, for you, give the heat a rest until after you've cut (no choice with splits). Though I will ask if you are using a heat serum or protectant of any kind. Are you blow drying only? drying AND flat ironing/pressing?

I'm a heavy shedder and found teas to be the business at stopping it and adding shine and thickness. :lick: Also, wet manipulation might be bad if your hair is fine. Don't even finger detangle. Just slap the dc on and leave it alone.

Cruzankink: YAY! This does sound like you too are having success! Cute WnG pic too! WTG!

Taurusgirl
Your hair may not be dry. It could be the accumulation of damage (maybe heat damage?). Dead hair doesn't do much. I'm not anti-heat. I blow dry to help my tangly ends and sometimes flat iron. Anyhoo, for you, give the heat a rest until after you've cut (no choice with splits). Though I will ask if you are using a heat serum or protectant of any kind. Are you blow drying only? drying AND flat ironing/pressing?

I'm a heavy shedder and found teas to be the business at stopping it and adding shine and thickness. :lick: Also, wet manipulation might be bad if your hair is fine. Don't even finger detangle. Just slap the dc on and leave it alone.

Thank you! This is maybe the 4th time I used heat on my hair this year. 3 times on my own and once at a salon trying a Dominican blow out. Last year maybe twice. I think your right though it may still be heat damaged, especially the ends since when I first started transitioning I pressed my roots pretty hard in order for them to match my relaxed hair so I probably still have those heat damaged ends. Even though I don't use really high heat I do use a blow dryer and flat iron when I straighten it. I use a serum that says it has a heat protectant in it. The DB at the salon was extremely hot though, I'll never do that again. I hope all of it isn't to far damaged that would be sad.
Wow it sounds like the tea really helps! How do you use it? I'll try waiting until my hair drys to detangle from now on and see if that helps.

My worst mistake I've made yet was going a full month without detangling my hair. Just wash and gos and even sleeping with my hair loose. Even though it was easy and looked fine, That was a major set back. I lost a lot of hair when I finally decided to detangle. Other set backs in my journey were microbraids and a weave. I hope heat damage isn't another one.

WnG Day 2

Products: While hair was damp, I raked in my homemade leave in made of water, organicals DCC, coconut oil, honeyquat and a quinoa protein then baggy overnite.

Technique: In the a.m. I woke my hair up by spritzing it w/ water and adding more leave in mixed w/ EVOO on my ends for added moisture and lubrication. I didn't use any gel. What little white residue I observed melted away w/ in a few minutes.

Curl Definition/Dryness: Instead of clumps of curls as in Day 1 (D1), I immediately noticed my hair forming defined tight coils. Shrinkage was worse on D2 I guess bc of the tighter curl pattern. Considering I didn't use any gel, my tight coils didn't frizz at all. Hmmm... ?
My hair was not as dull or dry as D1 but it didn’t feel that much better either. Well… Maybe its moisturize bc I was playing w/ a patch of hair at the back of my head and when I combed it out w/ my fingers, it felt great. The problem is I don’t have a point of reference w/what 4b WnG hair is suppose to feel like moisturize. I think it should feel soft like my twist outs… Am I expecting the unattainable?!

Tangles/SSK: Co-washed yesterday evening - no SSK!!! Minimum tangles... a solid 8.5 out of 10. Not bad!

Pic below on WnG Day 2 results

WnG Day 2 Detail.JPG

Last edited:
WnG Day 3

Products/Technique: I decided to follow HanaKuroi advice and use an oil base conditioner first then water base then gel. Since I don't have the recommended Oyin hair dew, I used the only oil based conditioner I have on hand, QB Amla & Olive Heavy Cream. I was apprehensive of using this product bc of the castor oil (not CG friendly) but since I was experimenting... let go and let flow.While hair was damp, I raked in the AOHC. I had a sickening feeling that htis was not going to work. My hair felt coated but not in a good way. Anyway, I baggied with hope that in the a.m. something would have penetrated so I can continue the proposed regimen.
In the a.m. I spritz my hair w/ water. My hair felt like I slather Vaseline on it. AOHC is simply too heavy an oil base for what I need. I tried to cowash it out but it would not dissolve. I put a li'l low poo in my cowash but my hair still felt coated. Ultimately, I had to do a full low poo wash. :wallbash:

Curl Definition/Dryness: I recently discovered that my hair gets dry and frizzy when I use poo, even a low poo. So it's no surprise that the lil coils I had D2 turned into a frizzy mess D3. It looked like totally different hair!!! Pissed, I slapped on some SM CES - no oil, no gel - and left the house w/ a head of white mess. :heated: As expected my hair was DRY, DRY, DRY.

Tangles/SSK: 8 out of 10! I am really surprised that I am not having the challenges w/ tangles and SSK as I did when I first tried WnG. Grant it, I haven't tried stretching to 2nd day hair but I suspect it will not get that much worse.

Conclusion: Although I am going to give WnG a break for now, I am undettered. The good thing is that I know i can have WnG hair w/o SSK or considerable tangles. My foucs is finding products/ingredients that would infuse all day moisture so that my ahir feels supple and soft. There will definitely be more experimenting in the future. Stay tuned...

No pics for WnG Day 3 - I couldn't bare the look of my hair. :eek2:

I didn't realize this thread was so busy.

Cruzankink - Your WNGs are looking very nice. Definitely interested in seeing how things turn out for you. I have yet to try a WNG. I saw some curls last night but like you when wet they are there but they don't last when it dries. And putting oil on my hair wet causes my cuticles to lift up so my hair just looks fuzzy. I haven't started experimenting with a WNG regimen though.

Either my hair hates the products im using or it is just going to be a frizzy curly mess forever. :wallbash:

I think I am going to change some things up to get more definition out of my hair. It's like a wavy frizzy mess until the end where it curls.

I wonder if sulphates or cones are my culprits.:ohwell:

I wish I could use ecostyler! However the prev update before this one, I mentioned that eco aggravates the eczema. I had white flakes, scabs and itchies for a week just after using it once! Grrr..took 2 washes to clear that ish out.

Idk...I will keep trying. I do have a batch of flaxseed gel I made. Might try it though generally the hold isn't enough? At least it isn't irritating like eco...

*sigh*

Hey DarkJoy have you tried xanthan gum? It is sold in the baking department of supermarkets and health food stores. It thickens your gel and gives hold. I have very thick, frizzy hair and the liquid flax is just not enough for me.
You basically sift half a teaspoon or a teaspoon on top of the strained, still hot gel and live it alone without mixing. When you go back to your gel it will be melted and you can mix it and put it in the freezer/fridge. After that hot and cold stages, your gel will have a lot of hold (even too much sometimes, you need to try how much you like but usually it's 0,5% to 3%).

I hope it helps! You can even make gel from herbal rinses, you can even skip the flax seeds and you can even freeze it in cubes or add a preservative.

Back