Stretching : Is it for you?

moonglowdiva

I think stretching is ok for me. I started stretching last summer before I found this board I wasn't really stretching per se but everytime I washed my hair ( once a week) I felt that I could go another week without a relaxer. I end up 9 week post and really didn't have any breakage from stretching. So lately I have been a 9 weeker. I have new goals and have modified my reggie and will see where this stretching thing will take me past 9 weeks. I can go farther than 9 weeks I know it.

Eisani

When I go past 8 wks. my hair get super dry. Then again it is usually in a weave when that happens so that definitely contributes. Have you tried upping how many times you cowash a week??

I'm sorry this has nothing to do with the question. But, Eisani, what do you color your hair with?? The color is soooo pretty.:grin:

Stretching has never been an issue for me, and I don't consider 10-12 wks a stretch--for my hair at least. I get the best results and had/have fewer tangling issues w/frequent CW's (almost daily) w/a moisturizing cond and protective styles. The frequent cowashing is what actually made me decide to transition. Moisturizing conds leave my NG soft and easy to work with.

For the 2nd part, thank you and to answer your other question, I use a semi-permanent cellophane by Lady Fior called Color Showers.

Energist

My hair did fine without stretching.but did miracles with stretching.

gets easier. Im on my 5th month and didn't even notice

Well that's because you have your hair down to a science chica :grin:

As for me, I'm on week 11 and struggling, but I am trying :)

Moisture2608

I have one more week until it's week 12 for me. This is my first stretch, and I love it. I'm finally enjoying and appreciating my natural hair texture; I co-wash 4 times a week and moisturize 2x a day, and that seems to be the key for me. I want to go for 16 more weeks for a total of 28 weeks; but I'm going to take it week by week.

lana

Hmm, lately I make sure I'm past 8 weeks and that I'm close to two inches of new growth. That's all. I need room to apply the texlax without overlapping, so that's my goal. I think I'm at 8 weeks right now and I have a little over an inch of new growth. I got about 4 more weeks to wait. I try to wash my hair less as I go into the long stretch to avoid breakage. It probably doesn't help that the back of my hair (the most fragile) is BARELY texlaxed at all. But it's long and healthy. :look:

Junonia

As long I wash regularly and moisturize, I'm fine. My last relaxer was July 1st and I am going to attempt to stretch for 6 months.

For me stretching is a major park of accumulating length. I stretch to roughly 12 weeks for every relaxer. The secret in moisture and low manipulation. After about 6 weeks I have to go low manipulation or my hair will break. I would go longer but my hubby starts looking at me funny and dropping hints. The longer my hair gets the easier it is to stretch. The best part of stretching is seeing my hair is 1 + inches longer after relaxing.

PureSilver

I've done from 6wks to 26wks and i've found my hair doesn't like to go beyond 16-20wks. I might try going 24 wks again tho in the future or maybe my next stretch who knows.

Crystalicequeen123

2. Are you manipulating/washing/styling your hair every day? If so, you may want to try just leaving it alone between washes and doing low-manipulation or protective style that don't require a lot of handling-- I wash once a week and usually leave it alone (no combing, no brushing, minimum handling) until the next wash.

Okay I have a question...well...maybe more like 2 questions:

When people say that they don't manipulate their hair in between washes during relaxer streches (no brushing, no combing, minimum handling, etc.), how on EARTH do you ladies manage to look presentable when you go out in the mornings or on the weekends?? :confused: I'm not trying to be funny, I REALLY want to know!

For me personally, even if I don't wrap my hair at night after 8 weeks post my relaxer, I find that I STILL usually need to brush my edges slightly in the mornings before work even if I wore a scarf the night before, because if I don't...I'll be looking a hot mess! So...how do you ladies do it??

I also wonder about twist/braid-outs/bantu knots. Those are great ways to keep the demarcation line less "stressed" since you're not trying to get the hair bone straight, and there is less manipulation. However, after a day or two post my "twist-out", I find that my hair feels and looks dry, or my roots tend to shrink back up again causing my hair to tangle and get knotted up. :(

How do you ladies upkeep twist-outs/braid-outs/bantu-knots? I can only go maybe a day or two after a twist out without my hair looking frizzy, or just feeling as dry as the sahara desert. :nono:

Please...help a siser out! :pray:

MissNina

Libra Girl
I'm noticing now that 9-10 weeks is my absolute limit. That is an improvement for me though b/c I used to relax every 6-7 wks regularly. I think I will stick with 8 from here on out.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I'm not sure since I haven't tried it yet. My hair looks a mess at 6 weeks but that is partly because I do not take care of it. I'm on a mission now and that's why I joined this site. I plan to try 8 weeks this time around with an ultimate goal of only 4 times a year if it is not detrimental to the health of my hair.

soulie

I had good intentions - I was trying to go 22 weeks. I'm just in my 8th week and I don't think I'll make it to 22. I think I'll try for 11 weeks both this time and next time. I'm going on vacation in December which is why I wanted to make the 22 weeks butttttttttttt I am having trouble with this jungle already.

GodsGrace

I learned the hard way (more than once mind you)that stretching is not in my hair's best interest. I mean, even with conditioners, S-curl, glycerin, hot oil treatments, clarifying, hard protein, you name it I tried it. The longer I stretched, the more tangles and knots I got, and the more it broke. It's like my newgrowth just grows into itself and becomes a nightmare. I tried to do it more than once and I got the same results each time-broken, damaged, tangled hair. So now I don't go longer than 12 weeks, and even that is a struggle cause I've tangled really badly the past month or so. Thank God I'm getting a relaxer this weekend.

MoniintheMiddle

Okay I have a question...well...maybe more like 2 questions:

When people say that they don't manipulate their hair in between washes during relaxer streches (no brushing, no combing, minimum handling, etc.), how on EARTH do you ladies manage to look presentable when you go out in the mornings or on the weekends?? :confused: I'm not trying to be funny, I REALLY want to know!
I wear my hair in my protective style (usually a french roll/up do) for the week until it's time to wash. I tie it up at night and take the scarf off in the morning. I do have a "bang" that i run the wide tooth comb through.

For me personally, even if I don't wrap my hair at night after 8 weeks post my relaxer, I find that I STILL usually need to brush my edges slightly in the mornings before work even if I wore a scarf the night before, because if I don't...I'll be looking a hot mess! So...how do you ladies do it??
Before tying my hair at night, i spritz with my water and conditioner mixture. Doing this helps my edges lie down and look great when I take the scarf off in the morning.

I also wonder about twist/braid-outs/bantu knots. Those are great ways to keep the demarcation line less "stressed" since you're not trying to get the hair bone straight, and there is less manipulation. However, after a day or two post my "twist-out", I find that my hair feels and looks dry, or my roots tend to shrink back up again causing my hair to tangle and get knotted up. :(
I don't wear this style but I do moisturize my exposed newgrowth daily with ORS Olive Oil moisturizer.

How do you ladies upkeep twist-outs/braid-outs/bantu-knots? I can only go maybe a day or two after a twist out without my hair looking frizzy, or just feeling as dry as the sahara desert. :nono:

Please...help a siser out! :pray:

Hope this helps!

TLC1020

This week I am 7 weeks post relaxer, I stretch no longer than 12 weeks, but this time I am stretching 13 weeks :yep:. While stretching I wear my hair in a bun seven days a week so that I don't manipulate it much. It's not bad on my hair I just be underprocessed when it's time to get a touch-up, my roots are coarse, begin to form dreds and really dry :blush:. I'll be ok though.

cecilie

I streched 6 monts and then 8 months without any breakage and this time I streched 14 Weeks and I had breakage the first 4 weeks post I don't know why ...
Ithink that steching is not good for everybody you must listen to your hair ...

SmartyPants

Guys , I've learned from my last stretch ( 15 wks) my hair is not having long stretches. Have any of you found that trying to make it till 12 wks or greater post is detrimental to the health for your hair( breakage)? And if so, what changes have you made? I am currently 7 wks post and my ng is out of control!

janaq...

I had several false starts when attempting to stretch. You really do have to get used to the new growth. I also had to figure out how to deal with the new growth. I used to relax every 6 weeks. The first couple of times I tried to stretch I relaxed at about 7 or 8 weeks. I just finished week 9 of a planned 13 week stretch and I am finally getting the hang of how to deal with my new growth.

Three things:

(1) Do what's best for your hair. If you notice breakage, end the stretch!

(2) Up the protein treatments the further along you get into your stretch. Breakage at the line of demarcation is the biggest threat to your hair during a stretch. The protein treatments will help curb that.

(3) Deep moisturizing conditioning--OFTEN! Not only will you need the increased moisture because of the increased protein treatments; you will also need to increased moisture to detangle your new growth. Do a search for the thread on Home Grown Steam Treatments. I swear by these. I used to do them once a week. Now that I am on week 10 of my stretch AND using MT, I do them three times a week. They really make doing my roller sets sooooooo much easier with all this new growth.

Crystalicequeen123

Hope this helps!

Oh wow! Thanks Moni! That helps a lot! :D

This gives me more inspiration to keep trying. I really like that idea of spritzing your edges lightly with water a little moisturizer and then tying up with a scarf before going to bed. I can now see how you probably wouldn't even need to brush your hair for a while using this method! Thanks! :up:

Kimiche

This is my third time stretching for 10 weeks, and my hair is not doing good this time around. My natural hair is very thick, and when the new growth kicks in, there is really a fight: snap, crackle, pop. I have to try low manipulation if I do this next time, because hair is always everywhere. :sad:

Tiffanyantt

Hale Nall ( I can spell people just trying not to use bad language)Stretching is not for me!!!!!!!:nono:
I cannot and will not stretch beyond twelve weeks.
I cannot and will not stretch beyond twelve weeks.

DaDragonPrincess

I'm good at stretching a relaxer,lol :grin:. These days I blow out them roots with my FHI and keep them moisture products in and Designer Touch to the edges until touch up time,lol.

Nayeli

Stretching has become my best friend. When I visited my at-home stylist, she watched my hair and said "this less relaxer thing is really working for you." But then again, I haven't done the super long ones. I go from 12 to 14 weeks, 16 weeks now that I have extensions. The no brushing, slight combing, low-mani has worked for me, ONLY because I grew to accept and appreciate the not-so-perfect-hair look. My journey has included foregoing that perfect look for the health of my hair..

LongiLox

For those with thick hair and/or those worried about stretching, one thing that I know really helps is co washing with Kera Care Humecto. It really works. It detangles like a charm and helps to keep your new growth extremely soft. The shampoo, Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, also works very well. This is one thing that has helped me save so much hair from getting tangled during stretching.