Stretching and Rollersetting...What Do You Think?

janeemat

Ladies do you think stretching and rollersetting could eventually do more harm than good? The reason I ask is because I wash on Wed and Sat. 98% of the time I do a rollerset. So therefore, I am combing the tangles out really good before I roll each piece. I use 3 different combs (shower, detangler comb and finally the rat tail). It just seems that I loose a lot of hair in the process of rollersetting especially once I'm deep into my stretch. On Wed and Sat after I'm done, I have a ball of hair. Some short some long. What am I doing wrong? Could this be to much manipulation if you are stretching. I'm only stretching 3 months now. But last year I did a 5 month stretch rollersetting the entire while with the same problem. My hair is brushing bra strap but it also seems thinner the longer it gets. Two people have asked me in the last 3 wks why my ends/hair is getting thinner. I use protein, I moisturize, do buns, no combing while dry. So, I really don't lose any hair between washes because I'm not combing it, just raking. I've made great progress from all of the knowledge here, but who wants long thin hair. So, I've been thinking about going back to washing once a week, no cowash or wetting the hair. Hopefully I can do this because hair starts itching like crazy if I miss my normal midweek wash. Plus I workout most weeks. Today is Wed and I don't know what to do. I have thought about washing/co-washing and just smooth into bun with my shower comb. But I'm afraid when I take it down it will be a tangled mess. Does any of you ladies that do long stretches just leave your hair alone say a week and then wash? I think Sylver2 wash every 2 wks and no co-washing in between. Stretchers, please help a sista out!

Whimsy

Maybe since it's 2x a week it's a lot of manipulation? Will your rollerset last a week? Weekly may be better...

janeemat

Maybe since it's 2x a week it's a lot of manipulation? Will your rollerset last a week? Weekly may be better...

I usually wear it down on Sunday and then just end up putting it in a bun. I just prefer dry buns from a rollerset.

ItsyBitsy

Hi Janeemat :wave:
You may remember that I was a die hard rollersetter a while back. Well..I have given up rollersetting all together :look: I was experiencing breakage & my ends were thinning out just as you described. Now I flat iron my hair once a week & as a result I loose less hair & experience little to no breakage. Stretching is easier & I can go more than a week with out washing. I wear my hair straight or add curl & volume by using flexirods. As I get closer to my wash day my hair gets weighted down so I'll wear a high ponytail.

IMO flat ironing is less manipulation than rollersetting. Yeah..you are using more heat but its only once a week at most & the desired "straightness" last longer.
HTH

prospurr4

I'll try to answer your questions:

Ladies do you think stretching and rollersetting could eventually do more harm than good?

No, I have done this my entire hair journey, with good progress. I think it's all about technique.

The reason I ask is because I wash on Wed and Sat. 98% of the time I do a rollerset. So therefore, I am combing the tangles out really good before I roll each piece. I use 3 different combs (shower, detangler comb and finally the rat tail). It just seems that I loose a lot of hair in the process of rollersetting especially once I'm deep into my stretch. On Wed and Sat after I'm done, I have a ball of hair. Some short some long. What am I doing wrong? Could this be to much manipulation if you are stretching.

Possibly....May I suggest that you lower manipulation by washing once a week and limit use of the rat-tail comb? When rollersetting between touchups, I use a shower comb ONLY and lose minimal hair to shedding/breakage. I know that a shower comb is not getting all the shed hairs out but I take care of that after a fresh touchup. At that time, as I rollerset, I use a shower comb, followed by a fine-toothed comb to get all the shed hair I've been leaving behind. I never have a problem with tangles or matting.

Does any of you ladies that do long stretches just leave your hair alone say a week and then wash? I think Sylver2 wash every 2 wks and no co-washing in between. Stretchers, please help a sista out!

I'm texlaxed and stretch my touchups to 13 weeks (4 times/year) max. I co-wash/rollerset once per week, never comb dry hair, and workout 6 times a week. I'm probably WL (never straighten my hair to know for sure) and my ends are pretty thick, just uneven. Regarding protein, I use it only during the touchup process. My hair will break if I use it any other time....I guess it doesn't need it in between touchups. :ohwell: Also, I find that my hair is stronger and thicker, now that I'm texlaxed. When I was relaxed-straight, my ends was always see-through.

I hope some of the information I've given will help you determine what's best for your hair. :)

janeemat

Hi Janeemat :wave:
You may remember that I was a die hard rollersetter a while back. Well..I have given up rollersetting all together :look: I was experiencing breakage & my ends were thinning out just as you described. Now I flat iron my hair once a week & as a result I loose less hair & experience little to no breakage. Stretching is easier & I can go more than a week with out washing. I wear my hair straight or add curl & volume by using flexirods. As I get closer to my wash day my hair gets weighted down so I'll wear a high ponytail.

IMO flat ironing is less manipulation than rollersetting. Yeah..you are using more heat but its only once a week at most & the desired "straightness" last longer.
HTH

Wow Itsy! Thanks so much for weighing in on this. I have been wondering about this for quite some time now. Are you blow drying first or airdrying. Your hair is absolutely beautiful!

janeemat

No, I have done this my entire hair journey, with good progress. I think it's all about technique.

Possibly....May I suggest that you lower manipulation by washing once a week and limit use of the rat-tail comb? When rollersetting between touchups, I use a shower comb ONLY and lose minimal hair to shedding/breakage. I know that a shower comb is not getting all the shed hairs out but I take care of that after a fresh touchup. At that time, as I rollerset, I use a shower comb, followed by a fine-toothed comb to get all the shed hair I've been leaving behind. I never have a problem with tangles or matting.

I'm texlaxed and stretch my touchups to 13 weeks (4 times/year) max. I co-wash/rollerset once per week, never comb dry hair, and workout 6 times a week. I'm probably WL (never straighten my hair to know for sure) and my ends are pretty thick, just uneven. Regarding protein, I use it only during the touchup process. My hair will break if I use it any other time....I guess it doesn't need it in between touchups. :ohwell: Also, I find that my hair is stronger and thicker, now that I'm texlaxed. When I was relaxed-straight, my ends was always see-through.

I hope some of the information I've given will help you determine what's best for your hair. :)

Thanks for the good advice. I admire your hair and always read your posts. I think I'm definitely going to start washing once a week. I see you said that you work out. So you don't rinse your hair or anything in between?

ItsyBitsy

Wow Itsy! Thanks so much for weighing in on this. I have been wondering about this for quite some time now. Are you blow drying first or airdrying. Your hair is absolutely beautiful!

Thank for the compliment!
Most times I airdry but if im pressed for time I'll blow dry with medium heat.
I really loved the volume and swing the rollerset gave me but the breakage was too much :nono:
My only issue is splits....which was a problem when I was rollersetting. I think because my strands are fine they are more prone to splits. I do S&D as needed and im good :yep:

janeemat

Thank for the compliment!
Most times I airdry but if im pressed for time I'll blow dry with medium heat.
I really loved the volume and swing the rollerset gave me but the breakage was too much :nono:
My only issue is splits....which was a problem when I was rollersetting. I think because my strands are fine they are more prone to splits. I do S&D as needed and im good :yep:

Air drying does not smooth my cuticles enough. I usually dry under the hooded dryer and then do a quick blow dry. Well, I am definitely cutting out the Wed rollerset. I just have to decide if I'm going to do a quick wash and smooth into a tacky bun to avoid having the itches.

simplyhair

You read my mind. I have been torn with the idea of rollersetting for several weeks now. So I had been playing around with the green 3" magnetic rollers. I can't dry under the hooded dryer so I would blast the rollers with my hand held blowdryer for a few minutes, airdry naturally, come back and blast it again, and so forth. My hair would end up nice and straight. Then, I can pin curl and get that "rollerset" look. There is no rat tail involved. You can use the shower comb prospurr suggested to prevent so much manipulation...especially since you just throwing it into a bun during the week.

It's funny because prospurr4 helped me the other day because I want to go further with my rollersets and use smaller rollers now. She gave me the same advice she gave you. :yep:

I wasn't sure if rollersetting for a curlier look was even worth my time and effort considering I also workout 6 days a week. I mean, why go thru all of that work to only sweat it out. Well, at this point, I'm not going to worry about sweating it out, cowashing every other day, etc. I'm going to try the once a week wash and see how it goes.

For me, I'm getting tired of the "airdrying thing" because I just do not like how my hair strands feel when airdried anymore. However, when I use the 3" magnetic rollers, my strands are soooo smooth. Plus, I think my hair holds moisture a lot better when I rollerset instead of airdry.

BTW, when I use the 3" rollers, I do not worry about trying to get it so smooth with the rat tail comb. Just as long as the ends are smooth and I roll the roller slightly taunt.

I forgot to mention that I am 8 weeks post and loaded with new growth. I was so concerned that I would be a tangled mess and lose a ton of hair Monday when I washed. I did a very good DC w/AOHSR mixed with raw honey and olive oil, rinsed it out, left it soaking wet, comb thru with my rake and medium sized comb and had virtually no tangles. The combs just glided thru with ease. I couldn't believe it. It gave me proof and reassurance that I could stretch while rollersetting.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

sqzbly1908

Hey Friend – (don't know if this has already been mentioned...)

I am also a avid rollersetter and the breakage seems to inevitable – what I have done to kinda’ combat is up the protein (my hair is crazy fine so I have not suffered from “protein overload”), use larger rollers (gray) and make wider parts - I am using less rollers and putting a little extra hair on my rollers as opposed to the purple/gray rollers used about 3-4 weeks after relaxing (If I am making any sense)

I may (and I say this loosely) try drying my hair under the dryer (hanging down), blow drying a little and then a light flat ironing (once every couple of months cuz I am not good at flat ironing my hair)

dede1129

What's your process for texlaxing you hair? It's nice and full:yep:

ItsyBitsy

Air drying does not smooth my cuticles enough. I usually dry under the hooded dryer and then do a quick blow dry. Well, I am definitely cutting out the Wed rollerset. I just have to decide if I'm going to do a quick wash and smooth into a tacky bun to avoid having the itches.

In place of the Wed rollerset, maybe you can try a braidout. Once dry you can wear it down or wear a bun ( I love braidout ponytails & buns :yep:)
Its low manipulation + you get to wash your hair so you wont have itchies :yep:

janeemat

Nubone II 120

This is what I use to avoid thinning ends and unnecessary breakage .

I relax about 3 or less times per year now.

I use a carbon comb that looks like this except it is black. I would think in order to get a smooth roller set that you would have to use this comb. Where can I fin this exact comb?

Last edited:

janeemat

Hey Friend – (don't know if this has already been mentioned...)

I am also a avid rollersetter and the breakage seems to inevitable – what I have done to kinda’ combat is up the protein (my hair is crazy fine so I have not suffered from “protein overload”), use larger rollers (gray) and make wider parts - I am using less rollers and putting a little extra hair on my rollers as opposed to the purple/gray rollers used about 3-4 weeks after relaxing (If I am making any sense)

I may (and I say this loosely) try drying my hair under the dryer (hanging down), blow drying a little and then a light flat ironing (once every couple of months cuz I am not good at flat ironing my hair)

To the bold, I normally use the purple rollers. I have been using the gray rollers sometimes and I did notice I lost less hair. Oh and I have up my protein.

janeemat

In place of the Wed rollerset, maybe you can try a braidout. Once dry you can wear it down or wear a bun ( I love braidout ponytails & buns :yep:)
Its low manipulation + you get to wash your hair so you wont have itchies :yep:

My hair knows it is Wed and it is itching right now:wallbash:. I have done braid outs in the past. They are okay. I find that I have to re-braid to keep them looking nice and that is still manipulation. I think today I'm going to wash without rollersetting. That way can I deep cond. I'll comb it out while in the shower and just let it hang under my hooded dryer and dry it that way. Then I'm going to smooth it into a pony tail and roll the pony tail. That should help smooth the hair some. I just know rollersetting twice weekly is out!

Last edited:

sheedahp

Ive personally decided to stop rollersetting for a while. Ive just had to have 2-3inches of thin ends cut. I dont know if they are from rollersetting but when I take the rollers out and comb the curls out I have a lot of little curled hairs on the floor. Ive been texlaxing since September so my ends are bone straight, not to mention I stretch for 2-3 months at a time so when I have a lot of new growth I loose more hair in the detangling process. Ive been blowdrying for a couple of weeks now and can say I havent lost as much hair (if any at all) as I did when I rollerset. I love rollersetting, I think its healthier in the aspect of not having direct heat but at the same time it requires alot of manipulation. Ive had alot of ladies here give me advice on this issue but Im going to just try blowdrying for a while just to see if it works better for me. Maybe once all of my bone straight hair is gone my ends will be able to tolerate rollersetting. Ive also noticed that even when I put my dry hair in rollers I have the same problem so I dont think my hair can handle rollers period.
It seems that some of your problem is losing hair from the detangling process, I had that problem too, I think its all in the combing technique, and it could possibly be coming from certain areas of your hair only, like the crown, that's where I would lose hair in the comb when I rollerset. I had less problems with that when I used a creamy leave-in, but I also had to comb real careful.
Do you think some the hair loss is just from daily hair shedding since you dont comb throughout the week?

janeemat

Ive personally decided to stop rollersetting for a while. Ive just had to have 2-3inches of thin ends cut. I dont know if they are from rollersetting but when I take the rollers out and comb the curls out I have a lot of little curled hairs on the floor. Ive been texlaxing since September so my ends are bone straight, not to mention I stretch for 2-3 months at a time so when I have a lot of new growth I loose more hair in the detangling process. Ive been blowdrying for a couple of weeks now and can say I havent lost as much hair (if any at all) as I did when I rollerset. I love rollersetting, I think its healthier in the aspect of not having direct heat but at the same time it requires alot of manipulation. Ive had alot of ladies here give me advice on this issue but Im going to just try blowdrying for a while just to see if it works better for me. Maybe once all of my bone straight hair is gone my ends will be able to tolerate rollersetting. Ive also noticed that even when I put my dry hair in rollers I have the same problem so I dont think my hair can handle rollers period.
It seems that some of your problem is losing hair from the detangling process, I had that problem too, I think its all in the combing technique, and it could possibly be coming from certain areas of your hair only, like the crown, that's where I would lose hair in the comb when I rollerset. I had less problems with that when I used a creamy leave-in, but I also had to comb real careful.
Do you think some the hair loss is just from daily hair shedding since you dont comb throughout the week?

To the bold, rerolling my dry hair is not a probblem. I don't loose hair then. It's like you said all of the detangling on wet hair. Even combing with a wide tooth comb and following with the rattail. I always use creamy leave ins. I too have the little ringlets of hair after removing the rollerset, but it's nothing compared to setting it. A lot of the strands are long, so I don't know. I just know my hair is thinner:wallbash: I'm going to change up things a little...even purchase a new rattail comb.

prospurr4

Thanks for the good advice. I admire your hair and always read your posts. I think I'm definitely going to start washing once a week. I see you said that you work out. So you don't rinse your hair or anything in between?

Yes, I exercise 6 days a week, and I do sweat on my scalp, but that is not an issue for me; I just let my hair/scalp airdry (either in a bun or pincurled) until my weekly wash.

PJaye

You read my mind. I have been torn with the idea of rollersetting for several weeks now. So I had been playing around with the green 3" magnetic rollers. I can't dry under the hooded dryer so I would blast the rollers with my hand held blowdryer for a few minutes, airdry naturally, come back and blast it again, and so forth. My hair would end up nice and straight. Then, I can pin curl and get that "rollerset" look. There is no rat tail involved. You can use the shower comb prospurr suggested to prevent so much manipulation...especially since you just throwing it into a bun during the week.

It's funny because prospurr4 helped me the other day because I want to go further with my rollersets and use smaller rollers now. She gave me the same advice she gave you. :yep:

I wasn't sure if rollersetting for a curlier look was even worth my time and effort considering I also workout 6 days a week. I mean, why go thru all of that work to only sweat it out. Well, at this point, I'm not going to worry about sweating it out, cowashing every other day, etc. I'm going to try the once a week wash and see how it goes.

For me, I'm getting tired of the "airdrying thing" because I just do not like how my hair strands feel when airdried anymore. However, when I use the 3" magnetic rollers, my strands are soooo smooth. Plus, I think my hair holds moisture a lot better when I rollerset instead of airdry.

BTW, when I use the 3" rollers, I do not worry about trying to get it so smooth with the rat tail comb. Just as long as the ends are smooth and I roll the roller slightly taunt.

I forgot to mention that I am 8 weeks post and loaded with new growth. I was so concerned that I would be a tangled mess and lose a ton of hair Monday when I washed. I did a very good DC w/AOHSR mixed with raw honey and olive oil, rinsed it out, left it soaking wet, comb thru with my rake and medium sized comb and had virtually no tangles. The combs just glided thru with ease. I couldn't believe it. It gave me proof and reassurance that I could stretch while rollersetting.

You've read my mind.

Lately, I've been contemplating regular rollersetting because I am tired of air drying in a ponytail. I also dislike how my hair looks and feels after it has been air dried, in addition to having no fondness for the inevitable frizz and lack of versatility. I plan on using the gray and/or green magnetic rollers (since I already own them) every 1-2 weeks to see how that goes.

I’m grateful to the OP and everyone else for posting their experiences and tips; I will definitely keep them all in mind during my rolllersetting journey.

simplyhair

You've read my mind.

Lately, I've been contemplating regular rollersetting because I am tired of air drying in a ponytail. I also dislike how my hair looks and feels after it has been air dried, in addition to having no fondness for the inevitable frizz and lack of versatility. I plan on using the gray and/or green magnetic rollers (since I already own them) every 1-2 weeks to see how that goes.

I’m grateful to the OP and everyone else for posting their experiences and tips; I will definitely keep them all in mind during my rolllersetting journey.

You are welcome! :grin: