Stretched Relaxer and Tight Coil NG - Problem?

Bnster

Hi Ladies,

I am 12 weeks post relaxer and plan not to relax until 16 weeks post. I have also started only using wide tooth combs. What I have noticed is that I am having very tight coils especially in the back area. When I uncoil a few I noted the loosen strands becomes tangled - don't like.

My question should I loosen all the tight coils before it gets worst? Are these tight coils forming what they call sister locks but for me only at the roots?

I am afraid if I don't do something and when I come to relax 1) it won't get all the NG strands because of the tight coils or 2) it would break from pulling the comb through. So far I am not a DIYer for relaxing so whoever is doing my hair will not take their time.

Oh when I uncoil and loosen them the hair around them is dry. If I just unwind them or run my fingers and stretch the coil the coils feels nice and moist on the surface. Also my hair is easy to part with these tight coils reduces tangles. Also I would say I have fine strands

I never had these tight NG coils before and I think it is because I would use a fine tooth comb on wash days which I stopped and I have not flat iron for a while where I would do the chase comb method that would separate all the strands.

So what should I do - can you see this leading to breakage and a set back?

I air dry and just started drying in 4 braids and using scarf method. I make sure I condition and oil from ends to roots very well before drying. My hair comes out nice and soft and roots are well defined (coil), oiled, smooth and soft.

TIA for all your advice.

Last edited:

brucebettye

You may need to do a nice detangling session. Load your hair up with your favorite detangler and take your time to do it. Section off your hair into small sections to get all the shed hair out. I hope this helps.

Bnster

I will try that on Saturday. I guess the moral of the story is sometimes to use a fine tooth comb. How do you ladies avoid this?

Has this happen to anybody else?

Last edited:

NIN4eva

If I'm doing long stretches I MUST use a fine tooth comb every now and then to get the sheds out since I usually don't like to separate my NG coils.

sqzbly1908

I am 12 weeks and I do a lot of dc'ing on dry hair overnight. It has helped me out tremendously - I don't lose much hair (if at all) - detangling is a breeze and my hair is very moisturized. When I rinse the condish out ...I normally use either Nexxus Humectress or NTM Leave in and throw it up in a claw clip but if I am rollersetting I will use both of the Aphogee leave ins...

charmtreese

My hair does the same thing, what helps me is using mane and tail detangling spray prior to washing my hair.

Bnster

I must look into a detangler -I think I need some MNT and do have NTM.
My leave ins lately are infusion 23 & NTM. I do have both Aphogee Leave ins
I have been doing now weekly Aphogee and finding it helps to strengthen my hair. Now I am thinking it is because my strands are twisted together is what strengthen it. :sad:

I am sitting here and fiddling with the tight coils loosening them now my hair back there is feeling like a bush. I think tomorrow I will have trouble putting my finger through it to the scalp.

royalty84

I've been stretching for about 5 mo. now, and I had that same problem. I prepoo w/ a plastic cap for at least 1hr, really focusing on the roots, wash with Aphogee shampoo + 1 tbsp baking soda, dc for an hr or so, and then top it off with french perm stabilizer-which makes for some really good detangling!

Bnster

I've been stretching for about 5 mo. now, and I had that same problem. I prepoo w/ a plastic cap for at least 1hr, really focusing on the roots, wash with Aphogee shampoo + 1 tbsp baking soda, dc for an hr or so, and then top it off with french perm stabilizer-which makes for some really good detangling!

Are you prepoo with oils or conditioner? Unsure what a french perm stabilizer is and where to get it. Do you afterwards ensure the strands are not twisted together by running your hand through a fine comb or finger comb?

Last edited:

royalty84

I prepoo with a cheap conditioner-V05 Moisture Milk, sometimes mixed with olive oil. The French Perm Stabilizer is supposed to be used after chemical services, but can be used anytime. It's sold at Sally's. Here's a link to the thread that hooked me: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=224541

I typically use a detangling comb, and then use one of those rattail combs afterwards.

Bnster

Hey where did the thank you button go? Royalty84 thank you, I was out all yesterday and only came the net this morning. Sorry for replying a day later to your post.

Gladly today I can say I have no tight coils in my head, been moisturizing with NTM and oiling the roots yesterday morning since I detangled the hair is not dry and can part easly so far. So moral of the story on wash day, I need to pay special attention to those roots.

My reggie - I do prepoo, shampoo, protein treatment, DC with wheat germ oil, porosity control and if I had apple cider vinegar would do a ACV rinse. Lately I have only been using as my leave ins infusion 23 leave-in (my hair felt good and ends looks fabulous), NTM, my oils then air dry.

I was using wide tooth comb through the process. I would comb my hair first before prepooing and then throughout the entire process keep it in braids.

I will now make sure my roots are detangled and the tight coils twisted with many strands is not good. It was neat to have them, I loved fingering and was easy to identify the new growth.

Ladies thank you all for your advice, confirming it wasn't good and how you resolved your issues. I will try them and see which one works best for me.

Also do you notice before you wash your roots are thick but afterward when it dries it isn't and your head feels lighter and easier to manage. That another reason why I love wash days.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
This is why I use an applicator bottle to apply my cons.
I blowdry half the time to keep my ng stretched.
I grease my scalp with my castor,jojoba shea mix (while my hair is wet!) if I'm airdrying.

I am currently 14 weeks post.

Last edited:

Bnster

Just a little update - Ladies thank you for all your advice, my hair is free from its tight coils, which I kind of miss fingering, but heck it beats getting breakage. Your advice will help me get through to my 16 weeks post where I have about 3 more weeks to go and I get to see my new length. Oh I can't wait!

Last edited: