Stretch Methods for 2013

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I couldn't find a thread already targeted for this topic so here's a thread for those stretch methods. I currently stretch my new growth in pig tails but for 2013 I want to avoid any type of ponytail (aside from banana clips to keep my hair up).
I'm curious to know ladies "HOW DO YOU STETCH YOUR NEW GROWTH?"

I air dry in a ponytail using the scarf method but then again I don't want to use ponytails anymore to air dry. All advice and styles needed.

Last edited:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
LOL, you should see how much new growth I have. I rollerset about once/twice a week. I wrap like the first 2 nights and then high bun in the others night until I wash again. As new growth comes in I cannot part my hair down the middle because it is so obvious. In the summer I just wash and go and since my hair is big, it just looks bigger in a cool way. I like big hair.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Blairx0
Blairx0 said:
I usually DC prior to setting. I set weekly and the moisture is enough to last throughout the week. However as it has gotten colder I have been adding oils during the week to ensure moisture.

Do you find that adding oils during the week makes cowashing 2-3x during the week unnecessary?

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Lucie

Lucie said:
LOL, you should see how much new growth I have. I rollerset about once/twice a week. I wrap like the first 2 nights and then high bun in the others night until I wash again. As new growth comes in I cannot part my hair down the middle because it is so obvious. In the summer I just wash and go and since my hair is big, it just looks bigger in a cool way. I like big hair.

That's what I struggle with as well. If I don't stretch my new growth, I can't part down the middle. I want to avoid breakage at the roots. Do you wash n go your hair into a high bun? If so, do you do that in the shower with your head upside down?

-PYT

Lucie you relaxed?? :eek:

I vote curlformers/knock-off curlformers. These things straightened alll my hair and stretched my roots!

Carmelella

At least for the first half of my stretch I'm air drying in some old school kiddie styles ( at home) after a heavy handed MS process. The ponies stretch my roots. Scarfing up the front, and them when I go out I'll do 1-2 large goddess French braids in front with a big fluffy/ curly bun in back. retwist at night, repeat.

Air drying now:

image-2279514640.jpg

Second half of stretch: weave

janeemat

A quick rollerset using the big grey rollers. I mostly part with my fingers, combing hair just enough to smooth it over the rollers. I use 12 rollers. I did this on Tuesday after a quick cowash and leave in cond. My hair was boucing at 13 wks post.:grin: That's how I stretch my ng.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Thanks ladies. I'm about 13 weeks post. I've stretched for 6 months before but my new growth was very tangled under the ponytail spot. But I've been air dry/stretch pony tailing it for 5 yrs now. Im an old member but in only reached bsl once a few yrs ago. Now I want to be full bsl again w/ no see thru ends.

Cherry89

I've added honey and olive oil to my co-washing conditioner, and it helped soften and manage my new growth. I also find braiding in two big plaits on each side is beneficial, instead of a bun.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Lucie

That's what I struggle with as well. If I don't stretch my new growth, I can't part down the middle. I want to avoid breakage at the roots. Do you wash n go your hair into a high bun? If so, do you do that in the shower with your head upside down?

I haven't wNg since the summer. My hair has been straight all fall. If I do a high bun I just put my head upside down and put it in a bun. :)

Lucie you relaxed?? :eek:

I vote curlformers/knock-off curlformers. These things straightened alll my hair and stretched my roots!

Yes, I did. Back in May. :grin: