straw set

dorothy

Hey all!
I have been seeing a hair style called the "straw set" lately on some girls in this area. When I ask them how they do it, they say they just use setting lotion and drinking straws. I find this somewhat hard to believe but i would like to try it. Has anyone done this or know anything more about it. I have virgin unrelaxed hair and I was thinking about trying it, but i don't think my hair will stay. Should i use bobby pins at the end. Do i have to sit under a hooded dryer and for how long. If there is a helpful website could someone please make a recommendation?
Thanks to all!
Dorothy

EXSQUISIT

hi dorothy..

i had a straw set done about a year back....the stylist that did mine did it right after a wash...she used setting lotion and drinking straws just as you were told...she wrapped a very small amount around each straw...bent it and then secured the hair on the ends with a hair pin. i have to admit i wasnt happy afterwards only because i was thinking my curls would hang more...my hair was shoulder length or so then and the curls were really tight so it looked like my hair was around i would said bottom of neck...maybe a tad shorter. she said they would drop but they never did.....i even separated the curls....

i still think they are pretty, but just not on me...i prefer loose wavy spiral curls.....dang im long winded....

ladylibra_30

hi dorothy:
my stylist does my spiral curls end papers and flexi rods (you can go to the sally's website to see how they look) they come in different sizes (they even have ones that are the size of a straw) the style can last for 2 weeks if you protect it w/a large satin bonnet.

elaine

Well my hair is barely chin length and my friend did a straw set for me. She cut the straws in different lengths and started in the back and worked her way up to the top. I went to sleep with the straws and took them out in the morning. My hair actually looked better before I pulled the curls out. From a distant, I looked as though I had a mini 70's afro. AND IT WAS TIGHT. I think that if you have long hair, you should set on the jumbo straws. I liked it, but several of my friends just stared like I was crazy. Try it out and see if you like it.