For those of you that do your own straw sets...

jd_bdfly

Help! I want to do a straw set, and I bought the straws. But when I was getting set to go at it, I realized that I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do to secure the straws in my hair. Those of you that do your own stwaw sets what do you use?

candibaby

For straws.. I would imagine that you'd use bobby pins to secure them. I dont know if this will help you at all.. but instead of straws I just use perm rods (i use the pink ones from sallys for really small ringlets). I think those are a whole lot easier to get in your hair and secure, IMO.

lovelymissyoli

I attempted to do a straw set once but after I washed and conditioned my hair and got all my supplies together I realized it would take me at least 4 hours to do my whole head (the same time it takes at the beauty salon). I had already bought my straws, bobby pins, and setting lotion, but as I began to roll my hair up in the straws it took me at least 2 minutes to cut the straw a little longer than the length of the piece of hair I was curling and to actually secure the hair in the straw with the bobby pins. Also, since I have a big head, the size of the straws that I was using was the biggest factor in why it would take me so long to do my hair. I used normal sized drinking straws, but there was only so much hair I could put on each straw. Anyways, after that first attempt I realized that I’m better off leaving that style to a professional. However, I do my own “curl-outs” (I couldn’t think of a better name) with the pink perm rods (pics in my album). You could also use flexi rods for that straw set like style, but if you are really adamant about attempting the straw set style, realize that it takes time! Also, when securing the hair remember to use a bobby pin at each end of the straw to get it to hold and not unravel. In addition, don't forget to cut the straw a little longer than your hair length, but not too long so that you don't have too much straw and you can't secure your hair with the bobby pin. HTH.