*Stomping Foot* Natural Roller Sets...Can it Work?

How do you keep your natural-hair roller sets from looking poof-ey?

• If you're natural and roller set, your hair will always look poof-ey

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • I roller set to dry, then flat iron

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Good products leave me hair smooth

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • My softer hair texture makes it easy for me

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters

Christelyn

I know a lot of relaxed heads do roller sets and I can understand why it works for them. But how on earth does it work for natural heads without looking like a poofy mess? I would like to try this on my week off from heat.

...Can I see picks, please? :drunk::drunk:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

here are some pics of my rollersets....

Attachments

• 100_0324.jpg
    100_0324.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_0322.jpg
    100_0322.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_0327.jpg
    100_0327.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_0526.jpg
    100_0526.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_0527.jpg
    100_0527.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 163

nikki2229

Thanks for the thread Christelyn. I have always wondered about this. I see some naturals that rollersets look amazing and I am curious as to what products and technique they use.

Nayna

Unbothered
This is one pic I have of a rollerset I did with those small rollers that are about an inch to an inch and a half long. It's not the greatest pic but they didn't come out too frizzy, and I only used Silk Elements and water. Keep in mind my textures range all over my head, I'm a 3 and 4 something.

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 180

momi

My 2 cents:

My stylist is responsible for this one, although I can achieve results very similar at home.

Mandy4610

Here are some of my favourite rollersets. I am 4a/b

This is a few days post rollerset. My hair is pretty straight by theis point, but no poof:grin:

more pics in my fotki

*Michelle*

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: @ you stomping your foot. I am seriously :lachen:!

Sorry no advice, just wanted to run in here and let you know you made me giggle! Good luck!

lashannasmall

I asked this same quesiton a while back and got very little response. I did a little research and I think that, unless you have a wavy or loosely curly texture, you will have to stretch the hair first to do a rollerset. The best ones I have seen on 4A/4B have been after the person flat ironed their hair. Then they rollerset it. The plus to that is, if you don't sweat alot, you could redo your rollerset every week and only wind up flatironing it maybe once a month(depending on how good you are at flat ironing). If you do a good job on the rollerset, it should pull the hair straight. You may need some gel on the edges. You will most likely have to sleep in the rollers as well.

Christelyn

I think I'm going to try this look next week on my next wash day. I have a mix of 3c/4a hair, so maybe I'll get lucky. Once I do it I'll post the pics. I just hope I don't come out looking like someone's grandma! :)

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Thank you for the compliment christelyn!! I don't neccessary use a product specifically for shine but I do have some tips when it comes to rollersetting... I was horrible at it! I even purcased macheriamour's dvd and got no where!!! Eventually the more I did it, the better I got!! I'm still no where as good as the other ladies, but I think I'm better than I was a year ago !

1. I always dc before i do a rollerset (even if I don't shampoo). I use she scent it avocado conditoner to dc and follow up with the banana brulee moisturizing condistioner or the hair fortifying mask.

2. for setting I use a rat tail comb, foaming wrap lotion (the first set of pics i used ors, the second keracare - i prefer the keracare over ors now); spray bottle with water, leave-in (first set I used aveda smooth infusion, second set I used redken butter treat. I prefer the butter treat over the smooth infusion)and a brush.
a. For the first set, I applied the wrap lotion and ran my aveda detangling brush through my hair; then I parted my hair in three sections, pinning up the sides. Then I would make the part for the rollers, brush a little, rub in the aveda smooth infusion, brush again, then roll.

b. for the second set, I applied the wrap lotion and redken butter treat, then detangled with the brush. part the hair in three sections, pinning up the sides. then I would make the part for the rollers, brush a little, then roll.

3. I used the water bottle as needed as my hair would begin to dry on the sides. sit under the dryer as needed, then when dry just take the rollers out!

All done!! It takes me about 20-30 minutes to roll depending on the size rollers I use!

Kurly K

i have had much success with my roller sets and I'm natural..pics in my fotki and threads from each technique ive done in my stats

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Kurly K - OT... I love your color... I've been trying to color my hair with the semi-permanent rinses and NOTHIG will take!!! Is your color permanent?

alopeciagrl

I'm frightened to roller set my 4b/c hair too. I haven't tried it b'c after ALL that hard work of pulling, rolling, then sitting under the dryer I would be furious if it didn't work...REALLY GUYS!

NikStarrr

I just posted pics in another rollerset thread. Pics are HERE. There's also a pic of a rollerset in my siggy. I think a natural (in the 3's and 4a) can definitely wear rollersets. Perhaps 4b's can as well, maybe someone who is 4b will respond.

JosieLynn

i've only done a few rollersets and my hair is 4-something, but I know that poofiness is usually a result of not having enough moisture in the hair BEFORE so that afterwards it's not searching for moisture in the air which equals poof-city. So I make sure to DC and put a nice moisturizing leave-in and light sealing oil on my hair before i roller set and I can even air dry it and it will come out smooth. And I apologize I have no photos of them but the next time I do one I will take pictures and come back to post them

Melaninme

Here is a pic of my roller set. It was done a while ago when my hair was much shorter. I'll have to revisit this soon as I'd like to see what it would look like now.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I've had great luck with rollersets and I'm a 4c

It takes patience to set natural hair. You gotta find setting lotions that work for you hair.

-Much of the success is in the moisture DC and using an ACV with cool water rinse before setting to ensure the cuticles are laying down flat.
-Some LHCFers swear by Lottabody. I've had success with diluted Mizani.
-Sopping wet hair. Spray as you go. I will usually spray each piece just before the roller. My spray is a mix of water or tea with a touch of setting lotion.
-VERY small pieces of hair (less than 1/2" thick) for each roller. This means a LOT of rollers and a lot of time. The thicker the piece, the more poofy results.
-Before rolling each piece, gently detangle with a fine tooth comb, then roll before the ends recurl and tangle back up.

Curlformers give me the best results.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
A pic of half done set. And stretched look right after take down. Set with Mizani.

ForumRunner_20130408_144119.jpg

ForumRunner_20130408_144135.jpg