Roller Setting Natural Hair?

Karamelcutie

Can you straighten natural hair by just roller setting and flat-ironing the roots? I know a lot of relaxed heads who are stretching use this method to avoid unnecessary heat, but does it work on natural heads too?

If anyone has pics that would be helpful too :grin:

kblc06

It's very possible :yep:-it's what I generally do whenever I want a straight look without direct heat (I follow it with a saran wrap treatment). They are even 4a/4b naturals who get their hair straight with curlformers and other types of rollers. I have a pic below in my siggy as well as my fotki album

Transformer

I'm a natural that rollersets....also my daughter. Their was another thread on this somewhere.

Daughter's hair comes out like silk. My hairdresser uses the back of the marcel irons to touch my roots sometimes...but they are ok without it. she does not touch the ends. My hair is a little longer than shoulder length and I use the orange/red magnetic rollers. After I take the rollers down, I use Mizani H20 moisturizer followed by a mixture of coconut/castor oil.

I think the key is less product such as setting lotion than more. I use giovanni direct leave-in now. Previously I would use a leave-in and a setting lotion. I follow up with

I think it's important that you use a shampoo that is moisturizing and does not have sls that can dry the hair out! I use Aveda and Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Plus I condition with Aubrey Organics conditioners.

Maynard

The only way I have been able to do it (and have smooth results) is via Curlformers.

Allandra

Can you straighten natural hair by just roller setting and flat-ironing the roots? I know a lot of relaxed heads who are stretching use this method to avoid unnecessary heat, but does it work on natural heads too?

If anyone has pics that would be helpful too :grin:
Hairlove does this, and her results are just lovely.

LadyKaypnyc

I've only been able to do it via curlformers. I tried to use traditional rollersetting rollers in the past, but it was horrible. My hair was drying way too fast, by the time I got my entire head done, my hair was a frizzy poofy mess:wallbash::lachen:

Country gal

I had success rollersetting my hair and touch up the roots. I don't have pics but I will probably do again in a couple of weeks.