Stiff Hair?

caligirl

Question for the naturals...
Why is my hair soft and movable when wet, but when dry it is stiff as a board? I use leave-in conditioner, so its soft but still stiff. Almost like I spraid it with a whole can of hairspray. Is stiffness just a quality of natural hair? Do I have to wet my hair everyday so it won't feel stiff? Help!

harigeek

Do any of your hair care products have protein ? I have very stiff hair whenever I use a leave-in with protein, or with my deep conditioner. The solution is to wash it out well with an uber-moisturizing product or conditioner. After that moisturize with an oily, water-based moisturizer that has no protein. I normally put in more than is necessary.

HTH!!

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
caligirl said:
Question for the naturals...
Why is my hair soft and movable when wet, but when dry it is stiff as a board? I use leave-in conditioner, so its soft but still stiff. Almost like I spraid it with a whole can of hairspray. Is stiffness just a quality of natural hair? Do I have to wet my hair everyday so it won't feel stiff? Help!

What kind of products are you using? Maybe it is stripping too much of the oils from your hair?

caligirl

I use Kenra Moisturizing conditioner and Keracare leave-in which both contain wheat protein. I've found that wheat protein generally makes my hair soft and curly. Maybe I can try a leave in that doesn't contain protein. I just bought a new leave-in by Alter Ego called "Alter Ego Nequal Leave in." It contains sweet almond oil and no protein. I've seen it used in the dominican salons. Thanks for the tips!