Dry stiff hair

mattapansista

I usually wash my hair once a week. i wash with nexxus therappe then use keraphix and humectress. then i do a hot oil treatment ith evoo. My hair is vert short and tapered. My problem is when i dry my hair its hard and stiff and hard to curl. i dont know what im doing wrong. it looks shiny because i spray it but when i touch it is not soft. i use the same products my stylist uses-like the gel she uses to mold my hair, and when she does my hair its soft and silky. But when i do it its hard and stiff. I use mango butter and WGO. It could be that my stylist uses the irons with the stoves-does this change the texture of the hair? Thanks

Last edited:

Isis

It could be that hot oil treatment and the WGO and mango butter used afterwards. That's a lot of oil. Usually, if I do a hot oil treatment (which is not often), it's before I wash my hair rather than after.

My wash regimen is similar to yours except I wash with Botanoil shampoo, followed by Humectress. I use Keraphix every few washes as needed (followed by Humectress). I also use Keraphix sparingly and rinse well otherwise it can make my hair stiff.

HoneyDew

Try to wash with CON ultra moisturizing.

Also, after I clarifyed my hair for the 1st time (followed by my regualr shampoo), I noticed a difference in my hair.

It took product better afterwards.

empressaja

Do you think that maybe the stiffness is from the gel. I know I cant set my hair with gel because it gives it a stiff hard feeling. I dont know if this will work but I use foaming wrap lotion- from Motions which creates a very soft set my hair is short not tapered but around 2 1/2 -3 inches short and this works it holds without being hard or crunchy.

morehairplease

birdie said:
Do you think that maybe the stiffness is from the gel. I know I cant set my hair with gel because it gives it a stiff hard feeling. I dont know if this will work but I use foaming wrap lotion- from Motions which creates a very soft set my hair is short not tapered but around 2 1/2 -3 inches short and this works it holds without being hard or crunchy.

I have been looking for a setting lotion...will pick up the motions one this weekend!

macherieamour

HI! Maybe you should try just using humectress and use keraphix sparingly. You hair could not like weekly protein. My hair was like that and I can only use protein every other week. Or myabe its the styling process. Are you blow drying? I know that to have shiny smooth hair, sometimes you have to have the right burshes, blowdryers and technique. Or maybe try rollersetting or wrapping. My hair is soooo much smoother when I roller set, esp with magnectic rollers. I dunno- just some thoughts?!

mattapansista

Thanks guys. I normally use motions extra hold foam, but it doesnt lay down my sides or back of my head which tends to be curley. So that is where i put the gel. Then i sit under the dryer for about an hour.When u do the hot oil treatment before you shampoo, do you put the oil on your dry hair? or do you wet your hair first? i usually shampoo then i condition with humectress and kerphix and add evoo to it. then rinse and do a hot oil treatment. Maybe i am using too much oil :perplexed

~*~ShopAholic~*~

mattapansista said:
I usually wash my hair once a week. i wash with nexxus therappe then use keraphix and humectress. then i do a hot oil treatment ith evoo. My hair is vert short and tapered. My problem is when i dry my hair its hard and stiff and hard to curl. i dont know what im doing wrong. it looks shiny because i spray it but when i touch it is not soft. i use the same products my stylist uses-like the gel she uses to mold my hair, and when she does my hair its soft and silky. But when i do it its hard and stiff. I use mango butter and WGO. It could be that my stylist uses the irons with the stoves-does this change the texture of the hair? Thanks
I don't know if your relaxed or not, but it sounds like your hair maybe overprocessed, :( , if so the only way to rid it is to trim it away slowly if that is the problem, and yes the stove culers will help change the texture since they get soooo hot. Ask your stylist if that's the problem.