Steps Taken After Relaxer

LadyCee

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what steps do you do after ashing out the relaxer? Please let me know since I plan on relaxing on saturday i want to make sure the relaxer completing comes out and doesnt cause ne type of overprocessing/breakage. THANKs.:grin:

caribeandiva

Human being
i use the neutralizing shampoo at least 3 times to make sure it gets everything. then i use a protein treatment like nexxus keraphix for 15 minutes followed by a moisturizing conditioner like nexxus humectress for another 15 minutes. then i apply leave-ins and take it from there.

Aussie

i am also gettin my relaxer (after 2 yrs natural) this saturday. I have learned to get the best out of your relaxer do not go bone str8... that makes managing relaxed hair harder and makes it prone to damage. The process should be : Base scalp and sensitive spots, Relax hair for alotted time, wash out, MILD PROTEIN for about 5 mins, washout, Neutralize for another 3 mins, wash out, Neutralize again, wash out, and Deep condition. then your good to go!!............... its a process but girl its worth it.

tell u why:
relaxing breaks hair bonds (new growth or virgin natural hair)
Protein helps the strands by making them stronger and more dense
neutralize to bring PH down (thats why u let it sit) then neutralize again
Deep condition to add moisture to hair shaft

HTH!!

msjones

a brief protein condish (mane n tail, vo5, etc) will allow moisture to enter your hair shaft before you close it with the neutralizing poo.

here's what i do

rinse thoroughly
condition w/ protein con for 5 minutes
rinse
neutralize (work through hair, and let sit on the hair for 5 minutes...this just as effective, if not more effective than shampooing a bunch of times. you will not have to 'scrub' your hair, and risk breaking your already weakened locks)
followed by a protein treatment
followed by a DC

rinse w/ cool water......no heat style (rollersets OK)

Daisimae

After rinsing I:

Apply Jherri Redding 100% Natural Protein for 5-10 minutes
Rinse
Apply Porosity Control Conditioner for 2-4 minutes
Rinse
Neutralize until I get white suds.
Rinse
Use semi-permanent color on my NG. Leave it on for 30 minutes
Rinse
DC with ORS Replenishing mixed with Nexxus Humectress 20-30 min w/heat
Rinse
Rollerset
Sit under dryer
Saran wrap or style

The first wash after relaxing (3-4 days), I use a neutralizing poo, which is also a clarifier. This makes sure I'm neutralized and takes care of any residue from the no-lye relaxer.

locabouthair

dont forget to coat the previously relaxed hair with some conditioner, oil, or vaseline. this prevents over processing as well.

MzRhonda

Can you give me some ideas as to Protein conditioners I will be doing a retouch this week.

Thanks.

LadyCee

fo the conditioner tat goes on the ends do u put it ove nite 2 let it dy out or does it matter if its still wet in da hair

Daisimae

Re: Post Relax Color and Mild Protein

For those that color, post relaxer, does your semipermanent come out if you DC after your rinse? I need a color option post relax, that can cover a couple stray grays and not leave my hair dry.

Mine doesn't. I use Clariol's Beautiful Collection to cover a few gray strands too. The color stayed in for three weeks or six washes. I could do it again now, but, I don't feel like it. My grays will disapear again when I TU.

loved

Re: Post Relax Color and Mild Protein

Mine doesn't. I use Clariol's Beautiful Collection to cover a few gray strands too. The color stayed in for three weeks or six washes. I could do it again now, but, I don't feel like it. My grays will disapear again when I TU.

Thanks Daisimae for sharing your post-relax color technique & brand!

Neroli

1. rinse relaxer out thoroughly

2. apply protein condish 5 - 10 minutes

3. rinse thoroughly

4. apply neutralizing poo and let sit 3 to 5 minutes. ITA with another poster that letting the 'poo sit a while actually works better than repeated pooing cuz gives neutralizers time to work before rinsing out. Plus, its less manipulation and stress on hair at a time when it's most fragile and vulnerable.

5. rinse thoroughly. repeat if necessary. I only have to 'poo twice with above method to get all the relaxer out.

6. apply deep condish and cover with plastic for at least 1 hour. I usually mix 50/50 a protein condish & moisturzing condish.

7. rinse thoroughly

8. squeeze dry and apply leave-in, oils, etc.

9. airdry. I may rollerset and airdry or just let it hang loose and airdry. regardless, I airdry. I haven't used heat in years, and I especially won't on relaxer day cuz hair already quite "traumatize" by the chemical and heat just added insult, IMO.

Misseyl

I use Phyto Index II and this is what I do

apply and smooth in relaxer and leave it on for the allotted time 25/30 mins
rinse out relaxer
neutralize hair for about 45 minutes -- it takes that long for the shampoo to change from red/pink to white.
apply the conditioner and leave it on for the allotted time - 10/15 mins
roll it up and go under a dryer or put hair in a pony and wait until its dry.

BrownBetty

Curious:

Ladies who let the neutralizing shampoo sit on your hair do you self relax or go to the salon?

MV

Neroli

Curious:

Ladies who let the neutralizing shampoo sit on your hair do you self relax or go to the salon?

MV

I self relaxed using motions, affirm, phyto, etc. and regardless of brand, I always:

1. use a protein condish immediately after rinsing relaxer and before neutralizing.

2. let the neutralizing 'poo sit a few minutes each time before rinsing.

Aussie

Curious:

MV

TO ANSWER THIS HONESTLY I DONT BELIEVE SALON STYLIST LET THE NEUTRALIZER SIT ON UR HEAD.

BUT...........bump wat u heard.:grin: im gettin my first relaxer after 2 yrs natural on saturday and i will be damned if I pay her money and she doesnt listen to me when i tell her what is best for my hair. the only reason why i am goin to the salon is because i dont want to try my luck by relaxing my WHOLE head of hair. So I will be instructing the lady to let me get protein after the relaxer rinse and to let the neutralizer sit. She MAY HATE ME :wallbash: all she wants while she is doing my hair.... but whose strands are at risk? and who is gettin paid regardless? EXACTLY!!! so be brave and speak up!! lol i kno i am.........

FlawedBeauty

after i rinse my head i slap on a ORS Replenish Pak and cover with a plastic bag. I let it sit for 2-3 hours while i watch tv or do other stuff.

Sistaslick

If you do a protein treatmeat before you neutr. Will your hair continue to process, because you didn't neut

No. Neutralization is driven by a change in pH. The relaxing process works in the alkaline (high pH range) and is not compatible at low pHs. Most mild protein reconstructors, or any conditioner for that matter, are "normalizing" or acidic-- sometimes even more acidic than the actual neutralizing shampoo.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=135416&page=4

HTH.

Aussie

Ok i went to the salon today to get my relaxer. Here is how it went:

I based my hair the night b4 because I know stylist dont base your hair like THEY SHOULD!!! I went in today and as soon as I sat down she did about 6 parts and based.... THAT WAS IT:perplexed!!! Thank God I based myself because I surely would have burned :burning:if I relied on that little lip gloss that she thought would protect my scalp. After that she just started slapping the relaxer on my hair..... didn't detangle my hair or anything. Once again I took the precaution to detangle the night b4. I didn't realize she was putting the creamy crack on UNTIL i looked in the mirror. I was stunned that she started without asking what strength, or relaxer I would like to use. WOW!!! But I took it upon myself to ASK ANYWAY!!.... While she was smoothing the relaxer with her hands it started tingling in the back. I told her and she told a stylist to put some neutralizer on that spot. HUmmmmm... it worked for like 2 mins.

After that the wash lady took me to the wash bowl and started READING A MAGAZINE!!!!!!!! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO chemical on my head!!! :ohwell: I told her that my head was tingling and it was time to rinse it out. SHE HAD THE NERVE TO SAY HOLD ON LET ME GO CHECK WITH THE STYLIST TO SEE IF I SHOULD WASH IT OUT:help:!!! huh??? whose head is at risk??? I looked at her and said "lady its burning". So she rinsed it out. Geez!!! When she rinsed it out I asked her if there was a protein step before the neutralizer and she said yes. So she put it in my hair and I sat with a shower cap over my head for about 15 mins while she washed other girls. HUmmmmmmmmm once again I was just thinking about this site and wondering if I could get some LCHF nazis to come knock some sense into these ppl:hardslap:. WHen she finally got back to me she washed it out and ONCE AGAIN i asked her can she leave the neutralizer in my hair for 5 mins. She said "well im going to wash you like 3 times so the relaxer should be out". I said " Well i want my PH to go down in my hair so I want to leave it on".

SHe looked at me like she didnt even know what PH meant.... damn shame. So she started washing my hair and I asked was the neutralizer color indicated. GUESS WHAT SHE SAID??.... " um no this is a neutralizing shampoo".... so i said " So is this the neutralizer that color codes?"... she said " No its a neutralizing shampoo not a neutralizer"..... After that I felt like taking her head and:wallbash:!!!! LMAO!!! she just didnt get it. So after she washed me 3 times, I asked again if she could leave it on.... just then someone had to get their hair blow dried so she said she will leave it on and come back to wash it. lol Good thing she had to blow dry because I was getting mad that she would rinse it after lathering my hair for 2 seconds. So about 10 mins went by and she finally came back to wash it out and wash my hair again. So by then I knew my hair was happy and my mission was complete. Lol I really thought I would leave the wash bowl upset. After rinsing she put the deep conditioner on and I sat under the dryer for about 20-30 mins. (They were getting busy). After rinsing my for the last time I got my rollerset:gorgeous:, sat under the dryer again, and got my hair wrapped. Job well done I would say. Hardly any hairs came out and she had to trim a light amount off my ends.

I got home, moisturized, sealed, and trimmed my own hair to remove the nap knots at the ends that formed due to my natural hair, so now I have nice layers. My hair journey for armpit length starts today. Thanks LHCF:grouphug:!!!