CON or Neutralize after relaxer?

Condition or Neutralize after Relaxer?

• After rinising my relaxer out, I condition then neutralize

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • After rinising my relaxer out, I neutralize then condition

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters

Xavier

I got my first relaxer since joining LHCF. I was amazed by the results. I am seeing progress and just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful information. When I went to the hairdresser I noticed that she conditioned my hair after rinising out the relaxer instead of washing with neutralizing poo. This was the first time I had ever gotten a relaxer and saw a stylist con before neutralizing. I just wanted to know how many of you ladies follow this procedure and if so, why? I was under the impression that this would cause overprocessing? Despite my worry at the salon I was very satisfied and my hair is beautiful.

LaNecia

OT: DLewis, your hair is looking fab!!!

I choose to condition for 3-5 minutes, then neutralize and condition again. I've had very good results with my hair doing this method.

navsegda

You should always neutralize before conditioning just to be safe and to prevent overprocessing. Even after you rinse out the relaxer with just water, traces of the chemicals are there and still working in the hair until you neutralize the pH. However, I remember when I went to the salon once, the beautician rinsed the relaxer out and then applied Motions After-Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner before using the Motions Neutralizing Shampoo. But this is different because that type of conditioner actually acts as a neutralizer and even on the back of the neutralizing shampoo it says to rinse the relaxer, apply the Moisture Plus conditioner, and then use the neutralizing shampoo. But if the conditioner your stylist used was not specific for neutralizing, then she shouldn't have done that.

As long as you deep condition after relaxing, you will be fine with neutralizing first.

dlewis

VWVixxen said:
OT: DLewis, your hair is looking fab!!!

I choose to condition for 3-5 minutes, then neutralize and condition again. I've had very good results with my hair doing this method.

Thanks..................

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I'm not relaxing anymore, but I do remember that I like my hair much better if the stylist conditioned and then neutralized.

tenderheaded

I use Vitale poo and Revive Positive Con. The instructions call for rinsing out relaxer, then con 5 min, then poo, poo, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse..... I use SE regular relaxer and this method works great. The hair isn't flat. Also the Mizani method uses this procedure.

Xavier

Thanks for the replies. I guess if the instructions say to con first then it must be okay.

Honi

There is no board.
I used to do that but since switching to Phyto I haven't done it. That stuff takes too long to neutralize in the first place so I'm not gonna risk it.

Arcadian

I generally use an acidifying conditioner as that helps to neutralize the relaxer as well as condition the hair.

BTW Honi, I use phyto too and do understand your pain. Last time I relaxed instead of using conditioner like I normally do I used rinsed with a 4:1 solution (in ounces) of distilled water and ACV right before I washed with the neutralizing shampoo. I let it sit on my head for about 3 minutes then washed.

Cut the washing to only 2 washes and bubbles where white even after the first wash (I did two just to be sure)

to me, ACV does what a acidifying conditioner will do as long as the solution isn't too strong.

-A

AKA-Tude

I con b4 neut. bcuz it makes my hair feel smoother, softer.

I was told by a beautician to do this bcuz the hair shaft is open and will accept con better, so I did.

I love the results!

Honi

There is no board.
Now that's interesting. What did your hair feel like afterwards? Was it rough, smooth? I may have to try this my next touchup in January.

Arcadian said:
I generally use an acidifying conditioner as that helps to neutralize the relaxer as well as condition the hair.

BTW Honi, I use phyto too and do understand your pain. Last time I relaxed instead of using conditioner like I normally do I used rinsed with a 4:1 solution (in ounces) of distilled water and ACV right before I washed with the neutralizing shampoo. I let it sit on my head for about 3 minutes then washed.

Cut the washing to only 2 washes and bubbles where white even after the first wash (I did two just to be sure)

to me, ACV does what a acidifying conditioner will do as long as the solution isn't too strong.

-A

Arcadian

Honi said:
Now that's interesting. What did your hair feel like afterwards? Was it rough, smooth? I may have to try this my next touchup in January.

My hair felt amazing actually! Very soft and tangle free though it took forever and a day to dry. I relaxed on Saturday and its now Monday and hair is still nice soft and moisterized so no complaints.

I remember somone else had tried it with phyto with really good results too which prompted me to try it out myself. its nice to not have to wash 10 times:grin:

-A

CAPlush

After having my hair damaged after a relaxer, I encourage you to only condition before neutralizing IF the conditioner has a low pH that will stop the chemical reaction. Use adequate conditioner to coat your strands, and don't get skimpy with it. And you may be pushing it if you are doing this step for more than 10 min, it should really be 5 min or less.

Ladyhenri

I used Motions Oil Moisturiser and the instructions say con before neutralising.
I did this.

The relaxer burned and i was dancing around like a cat on hot bricks before i washed it out about five minutes too early. So i wasnt too worried about over processing when the condish was in.

If concerned about over processing, it may be an idea to rinse off the relaxer a bit earlier than usual and allow you hair to finish processing while being conditioned. This certainly worked for me even though it was unplanned.
My hair felt very soft and bouncy afterwards:p

LovelyLionessa

Henrietta said:
I used Motions Oil Moisturiser and the instructions say con before neutralising.
I did this.

The relaxer burned and i was dancing around like a cat on hot bricks before i washed it out about five minutes too early. So i wasnt too worried about over processing when the condish was in.

If concerned about over processing, it may be an idea to rinse off the relaxer a bit earlier than usual and allow you hair to finish processing while being conditioned. This certainly worked for me even though it was unplanned.
My hair felt very soft and bouncy afterwards:p

:eek: Sorry, the imagery of that analogy kinda made me laugh a little... :lol:

aa9746

I got my first relaxer since joining LHCF. I was amazed by the results. I am seeing progress and just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful information. When I went to the hairdresser I noticed that she conditioned my hair after rinising out the relaxer instead of washing with neutralizing poo. This was the first time I had ever gotten a relaxer and saw a stylist con before neutralizing. I just wanted to know how many of you ladies follow this procedure and if so, why? I was under the impression that this would cause overprocessing? Despite my worry at the salon I was very satisfied and my hair is beautiful.

I do my mom' touch ups. After I rinse out the relaxer I add infusium for a few seconds (while she's still at the sink) and then the neutrilizing shampoo right away. It just helps to make the hair more manageable for me to deal with. After neutralizing I proceed with conditioning etc.

sunnieb

After rinsing out the relaxer, I condition with Motions CPR for 5 minutes then move on to the neutralizing shampoo.

lonei

I might try this with porosity control conditioner this weekend (brings down ph). However I normally relax, neutralise, use pc then colour, the pc is meant to help the colour take better. What do u think the effects would be for the semi perm colour if I didnt use pc right before it?

sqzbly1908

I might try this with porosity control conditioner this weekend (brings down ph). However I normally relax, neutralise, use pc then colour, the pc is meant to help the colour take better. What do u think the effects would be for the semi perm colour if I didnt use pc right before it?

This is how I apply my color and my color is still just as vibrant - I don't think that it will make a substantial difference as your hair is still at its most vulnerable and the majority of the semi permanent colors/rinses have citric acid in it anyway which closes the cuticle and brings down the Ph...

You have to remember that when the companies created the instructions for color application, they are not taking into account the "extra" steps that we do when we relax - they are under the assumption that the color is applied immediately after the neutralizing shampoo -

lonei

This is how I apply my color and my color is still just as vibrant - I don't think that it will make a substantial difference as your hair is still at its most vulnerable and the majority of the semi permanent colors/rinses have citric acid in it anyway which closes the cuticle and brings down the Ph...

You have to remember that when the companies created the instructions for color application, they are not taking into account the "extra" steps that we do when we relax - they are under the assumption that the color is applied immediately after the neutralizing shampoo -

Great info! Thanks x

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Ever since I started using con (Aphogee 2 min) before neutralizing I refuse to do it any other way. There is a lot less damage from manipulation since the protein takes better and is infused immediately after my strands have broken down.

Being aware of the PH of your conditioner helps. I don't know about Aphogee, but it's been working for me over a year now.

Relaxer companies now have this step because they know what we know :lachen:

Lavendar

I use Phyto. Always use Porosity Control for five minutes with plastic cap, then neutralize 3 times.