Hair relaxer question. Please help.

BlackHairDiva

I have a question about applying a hair relaxer. I have always wanted to be able to self relax. I know to do every step before and after relaxing. There is only one thing that is a mystery to me. How do I actually apply the relaxer on my hair. Once it's on there how do I smooth out the hair? I heard I'm not supposed to comb the relaxer through the hair. I tried self relaxing once and it was a disaster.

Here is a clip on youtube about relaxing technique. Is it me or is she briefly combing the hair?? Is this how I'm supposed to smooth through the relaxer and actually work my hair straight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHq2izOxw2Y&NR=1

Please help.

I'm thinking about taking some courses at a beauty school to learn about apply a relaxer...but I'm scared cause some of these schools are not that good.

Please help.

BlackGeisha

You apply the relaxer on your newgrowth only, try to avoid getting it on your scalp but you should have a protectant on your scalp and on your already relaxed hair. When you smooth make sure you are wearing gloves because you can go back and smooth the newgrowth down with your fingers. You can also use the back of a comb to smooth. Hope this helps!

BlackGeisha

Your Welcome!
Yes, the stylist is doing it properly, I think she combs through once because the woman's hair she is perming is really thick, it may be coarse. You can use whichever method works best for you whether you comb through once, smooth with the back of the comb, or smooth with your fingers. Just if you comb through comb the newgrowth only.