Spinoff Question: Can one be BOTH a PRACTICING Christian and a homosexual?

PaperClip

After browing the thread about Christians and homosexuality and noticing the following article today from http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur29534.cfml, it seems that the root of the issue is this: can one be both a Christian and be a homosexual?

RJ HELTON’S 'OOPS I’M GAY' MOMENT: Ex-American Idol unintentionally comes out in interview, but feels good that he did

Celebrities admit that they are gay like clockwork nowadays—unless they are gospel celebs. As quiet as it is kept, homosexuality is known to run rampant in gospel industry circles. But God-fearing gays just aren’t prone to voluntarily expose their sexual orientation. So when ex-American Idol RJ Helton revealed his dirty little secret in a SIRIUS Satellite Radio interview, it landed in the USA Today Idol Chatter blog.

RJ, 25 was one of the leading voices on season one of American Idol where he was among the top 5 contestants. His talent earned him a recording contract with Gospocentric Records in 2004 and his successful inspirational CD “Real Life” followed. But, due to a personal conflict he has since left inspirational music behind.

“OutQ in the Morning" host Larry Flick asked Helton why he no longer performed inspirational music. Helton replied, “I can have a faith but can’t be who I want to be. So a lot of it was just personal things I needed to overcome and just be proud of who I was.”

And then, as if he’d said it a thousand times, out pours the point blank revelation: “Just because I am gay does not mean I can’t love God.”

Afraid of being judged, the majority Christian gays will remain anonymous or search for a church where being openly gay won’t be shunned. Many of them are in music ministry and won’t go public with their preferences because they face rejection in addition to the possible loss of employment. Helton is relieved that he is no longer bound by indecision.

In the interview Helton said, “Today, this morning, three seconds ago, I’ve never even said that. It feels good. I’m just really comfortable with who I am now.”

It’s hard to resist wondering if the name of the show, “OutQ” prompted his announcement.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This is not an easy subject nor will it ever be.

Anyone being gay or heterosexual, can love God and with all of their heart. Afterall, who wouldn't love Jesus? Only a fool (as God says in His word, or one who has not been in touch with Him to really know what love is, would not love the Lord.

However, God's word does say that no man can serve two masters, for he will hate one and serve the other.

Homosexuality is a very tough spirit to deliver one from. It's a spirit that has an attachment to one's soulish realm, the psyche, which literally controls ones behavior and thoughts. It's tough also, for it has attached itsself to the most natural part of one's being...their sexual nature, which by God's design, we are all, sexual beings.

The devil knows this and because of it, he uses this to pervert the very purpose of what God's intentions for sex really are, which is by God's design, a loving, reserved, uncomparable, consecrated union between a man and a woman and only a man and a woman as husband and wife.

All we well know, satan's purpose, is to kill, steal and to destroy any and all that God has created and its intended purpose, simply to spite and disrespect, and rebel against God.

So....knowing this, we have to discern, which is and which isn't a person whose heart is sold out for God, homosexual or not.

Now, there are many, many, many homosexuals that are just out and out rebellious. They could care less about God or anyone else.

Others are victims of abuse, where they have been sexually molested and their sexual identity has been compromised and confused and they hurt.

Others are there by choice and think it's okay as an alternative lifestyle.

Then we have those who simply don't know why they have feelings for one of the same sex and they are hurting individuals who think they were born that way.

I'm still on topic, okay? ... :yep:

I had to make these points for a reason. There are many theories about homosexuality, but as a Christian, or PRACTICING Christian, as you've asked, one cannot also practice or remain in the 'act' of homosexuality for it is sin just as any other sexual sin.

Before I was saved 24 years ago, I was in fornication. I had a boyfriend and we were sexually active. When I gave my heart to the Lord, God spoke to me, "You can't have sex without marriage."

Although my flesh and my way of living prior to my salvation was contrary to being abstinate from sex, I still yielded my sex life over to God. And as most of you here already know, I've been celibate for 24 years...

Am I still a sexual being? ... Lord YES! :yep: Indeed God I am. Have I had occasions to be tempted...almost everyday. (I'm cute :lol:) So I am not professing perfection here. No way! God just 'kept' me and it took a whole lot of 'keeping'. Like I said, "I'm cute"... :lol:

But seriously, something more has taken a hold of my heart, because when you love God, you want to be faithful and you want to be pleasing to Him. You also learn to love yourself and you begin to align your expectations in life to God's order. Because of Jesus, I want more out of life than sexual sin has ever given me.

And even a homosexual (struggling with deliverance) who says they love God should be willing to do likewise, forsaking the old man and putting on the new. Giving their all to Jesus. All meaning all, giving all of their desires to Jesus in exchange for His desires.

The answer is Yes, one can be a practicing Christian but struggling with homosexuality. But one cannot be a PRACTICING Chrisitian and still practice homosexuality. One has to go.

Sorry for the long text....

No I'm not....You all know me better :look:

Shimmie

Staff member
BTW: RJ Helton, was a guest on TBN a while ago, sharing his testimony, being delivered from the gay lifestyle.

He needs our prayers. He's struggling. The gay spirit is one that does not want to let go. But it does.

Here's a wonderful testimony by Dennis Jernigan, this man is a wonderful minister in music...annointed worship music. God truly delivered him...indeed God did. Dennis loved God, yet he struggled with homosexuality until he was delivered.

Here's his testimony...

http://www.dennisjernigan.com/About/DJsTestimony/tabid/85/Default.aspx

PaperClip

Shimmie, you make a good point about "struggle". And I'm sure it's clear that this question about homosexuality can be replaced with any other thing: fornication, lust, jealousy, so on and so forth....

It seems like homosexuality has permeated the society to such a degree....

pebbles

Shimmie said:
This is not an easy subject nor will it ever be.

Anyone being gay or heterosexual, can love God and with all of their heart. Afterall, who wouldn't love Jesus? Only a fool (as God says in His word, or one who has not been in touch with Him to really know what love is, would not love the Lord.

However, God's word does say that no man can serve two masters, for he will hate one and serve the other.

Homosexuality is a very tough spirit to deliver one from. It's a spirit that has an attachment to one's soulish realm, the psyche, which literally controls ones behavior and thoughts. It's tough also, for it has attached itsself to the most natural part of one's being...their sexual nature, which by God's design, we are all, sexual beings.

The devil knows this and because of it, he uses this to pervert the very purpose of what God's intentions for sex really are, which is by God's design, a loving, reserved, uncomparable, consecrated union between a man and a woman and only a man and a woman as husband and wife.

All we well know, satan's purpose, is to kill, steal and to destroy any and all that God has created and its intended purpose, simply to spite and disrespect, and rebel against God.

So....knowing this, we have to discern, which is and which isn't a person whose heart is sold out for God, homosexual or not.

Now, there are many, many, many homosexuals that are just out and out rebellious. They could care less about God or anyone else.

Others are victims of abuse, where they have been sexually molested and their sexual identity has been compromised and confused and they hurt.

Others are there by choice and think it's okay as an alternative lifestyle.

Then we have those who simply don't know why they have feelings for one of the same sex and they are hurting individuals who think they were born that way.

I'm still on topic, okay? ... :yep:

I had to make these points for a reason. There are many theories about homosexuality, but as a Christian, or PRACTICING Christian, as you've asked, one cannot also practice or remain in the 'act' of homosexuality for it is sin just as any other sexual sin.

Before I was saved 24 years ago, I was in fornication. I had a boyfriend and we were sexually active. When I gave my heart to the Lord, God spoke to me, "You can't have sex without marriage."

Although my flesh and my way of living prior to my salvation was contrary to being abstinate from sex, I still yielded my sex life over to God. And as most of you here already know, I've been celibate for 24 years...

Am I still a sexual being? ... Lord YES! :yep: Indeed God I am. Have I had occasions to be tempted...almost everyday. (I'm cute :lol:) So I am not professing perfection here. No way! God just 'kept' me and it took a whole lot of 'keeping'. Like I said, "I'm cute"... :lol:

But seriously, something more has taken a hold of my heart, because when you love God, you want to be faithful and you want to be pleasing to Him. You also learn to love yourself and you begin to align your expectations in life to God's order. Because of Jesus, I want more out of life than sexual sin has ever given me.

And even a homosexual (struggling with deliverance) who says they love God should be willing to do likewise, forsaking the old man and putting on the new. Giving their all to Jesus. All meaning all, giving all of their desires to Jesus in exchange for His desires.

The answer is Yes, one can be a practicing Christian but struggling with homosexuality. But one cannot be a PRACTICING Chrisitian and still practice homosexuality. One has to go.

Sorry for the long text....

No I'm not....You all know me better :look:

Well, there you have it. You can be a practicing Christian struggling with homosexuality. Christians struggles with all manner of sin. But if someone is willfully living the life with NO consideration or care about the fact that the word of God says it's wrong, then that person needs to stop and take a good, hard, honest look at what they really say they believe. The word of God cannot be compromised, no matter how much we will it. :)

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
Well, there you have it. You can be a practicing Christian struggling with homosexuality. Christians struggles with all manner of sin. But if someone is willfully living the life with NO consideration or care about the fact that the word of God says it's wrong, then that person needs to stop and take a good, hard, honest look at what they really say they believe. The word of God cannot be compromised, no matter how much we will it. :)

Pebs, you know that hymn? "I surrender all; all to thee my precious Savior, I surrender all."

It's not easy, but I've got 24 under my belt, even under the hair weave I used to wear...Yup, :yep: I even gave up my weave...now that was harder to give up than anything, but it wasn't helping my hair, it stunted my hair growth.

I'm making another point here...we even give up the hair weave and that's rough and it's cold. But....my hair has grown healthy and strong.

Ooooo, Pebs what's the scripture? "Whatever we give up for the sake of the kingdom, we will receive a hundred - fold (with persecution --- meaning it's not without pain or struggle), but we will receive a hundred fold blessing NOW in this time.

What price...glory? What price salvation? What price deliverance? It's already been paid for us and yet God still gives us an added bonus for choosing Him.

Ms Lala

Shimmie said:

.:look:

YOu go girl!!!!!!!!! Sorry I just had to say something that is admirable! God is good. I am a hoochie turned housewife so I know God can deliver. And I know from experience that there are alot of people, leaders included, in the church involved in sexually sinful relationships. Sexual sins just seem to be some of the hardest, not sure why.

ArrrBeee

Shimmie said:
BTW: RJ Helton, was a guest on TBN a while ago, sharing his testimony, being delivered from the gay lifestyle.

He needs our prayers. He's struggling. The gay spirit is one that does not want to let go. But it does.

Here's a wonderful testimony by Dennis Jernigan, this man is a wonderful minister in music...annointed worship music. God truly delivered him...indeed God did. Dennis loved God, yet he struggled with homosexuality until he was delivered.

Here's his testimony...

http://www.dennisjernigan.com/About/DJsTestimony/tabid/85/Default.aspx

This is an amazing testament to God's grace, mercy and love for us!

pebbles

Shimmie said:
Pebs, you know that hymn? "I surrender all; all to thee my precious Savior, I surrender all."

It's not easy, but I've got 24 under my belt, even under the hair weave I used to wear...Yup, :yep: I even gave up my weave...now that was harder to give up than anything, but it wasn't helping my hair, it stunted my hair growth.

I'm making another point here...we even give up the hair weave and that's rough and it's cold. But....my hair has grown healthy and strong.

Ooooo, Pebs what's the scripture? "Whatever we give up for the sake of the kingdom, we will receive a hundred - fold (with persecution --- meaning it's not without pain or struggle), but we will receive a hundred fold blessing NOW in this time.

What price...glory? What price salvation? What price deliverance? It's already been paid for us and yet God still gives us an added bonus for choosing Him.

That's right! Surrender, surrender, surrender it all to Jesus! We don't have to hold back a thing! Our God is big enough and able to handle whatever we can bring to Him. Jesus died once and for all! He died perfectly that one time, so that every single ungodly act ever committed, past, present, or future, could be nailed to the cross with Him, and we could find total and complete deliverance and peace! Wooo! That's enough to make a girl shout right there!! :trampolin

kbragg

Ms Lala said:
YOu go girl!!!!!!!!! Sorry I just had to say something that is admirable! God is good. I am a hoochie turned housewife so I know God can deliver.

AMEN! That's me too! God is good!:)

firecracker

I think that question is like asking can one be a practicing Christian all while being a liar, gossip, fornicator, blasphemous and the gamut of sins we humans make daily and occasionally. From my experience and knowledge your conscience will eat you alive and force change over time as you ask God's will upon your life. That is unless you want to lie to yourself about what is true and real = written in the bible. :perplexed

Many people/sinners want Chrisitianity to accomodate their wrongs or choices. Unfortunately that isn't what's going to happen but they can find a church or person that will attempt to.:(

Shimmie

Staff member
firecracker said:
I think that question is like asking can one be a practicing Christian all while being a liar, gossip, fornicator, blasphemous and the gamut of sins we humans make daily and occasionally. From my experience and knowledge your conscience will eat you alive and force change over time as you ask God's will upon your life. That is unless you want to lie to yourself about what is true and real = written in the bible. :perplexed

Many people/sinners want Chrisitianity to accomodate their wrongs or choices. Unfortunately that isn't what's going to happen but they can find a church or person that will attempt to.:(

Excellent point, Fire.

Similar to a child trying to fing a 'parent' who will let them play with matches; play in the street with no regard to oncoming cars; disrepect those in authority; and so on.

But God says, He corrects those whom He loves. If we're wrong, don't suppress it and try to call it right, God's word says, repent of our sins...turn away from them. Are we perfect? No. Will we be challenged? Of course. Will it hurt? No pain, no gain....

LovetheLord

First of all, excuse my typos...

There are some awesome things written here! Since we are on the subject of homosexuality I will deal with this and not with every other sin, which of course, is also unrighteousness in the eyes of the Lord. First of all we need to clarify that homosexuality is an abomination...

Lev 18:22Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.

Unfortunately, this is the fate of the abominable...
Rev 21:8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

God has to punish sin, because he can have no part in it for he is a righteous God. But God is also a forgiving God. If we just turn away from our ways by repenting (which actually means, to change one's mind, not just feeling sorry) he forgives us...

Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

I beleive you cannot practice homosexuality (or any other sin) and Love the Lord...

Look what Jesus said in John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Also if you go a little further (John 14:23 & 24) Jesus states that If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him... v24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings....

We all struggle at one point with sin, but once we come into the knowledge of Jesus Christ and are forgiven for our sins and cleansed from all unrighteousness, we should be without sin. (because we actively turn away from sin) We make a choice. Remember in Deut 30:19 it says, I put before you death and life, choose life. (paraphrase) Same here with homosexuality, we have to choose to be righteous and live accordingly. See I John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Sorry to be so wordy, but it was neccessary for me to write all the scriptures so that the Word itself can show that one CAN NOT be a praticing Christian and be homosexual. This young man desperately needs our prayers, because he is making a wrong choice. Anyone who goes against what the Father says is not for him (the Father).

(Tried to stay on topic...hope I did) :perplexed

Shimmie

Staff member
LovetheLord said:
First of all, excuse my typos...

There are some awesome things written here! Since we are on the subject of homosexuality I will deal with this and not with every other sin, which of course, is also unrighteousness in the eyes of the Lord. First of all we need to clarify that homosexuality is an abomination...

Lev 18:22Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.

Unfortunately, this is the fate of the abominable...
Rev 21:8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

God has to punish sin, because he can have no part in it for he is a righteous God. But God is also a forgiving God. If we just turn away from our ways by repenting (which actually means, to change one's mind, not just feeling sorry) he forgives us...

Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

I beleive you cannot practice homosexuality (or any other sin) and Love the Lord...

Look what Jesus said in John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Also if you go a little further (John 14:23 & 24) Jesus states that If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him... v24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings....

We all struggle at one point with sin, but once we come into the knowledge of Jesus Christ and are forgiven for our sins and cleansed from all unrighteousness, we should be without sin. (because we actively turn away from sin) We make a choice. Remember in Deut 30:19 it says, I put before you death and life, choose life. (paraphrase) Same here with homosexuality, we have to choose to be righteous and live accordingly. See I John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Sorry to be so wordy, but it was neccessary for me to write all the scriptures so that the Word itself can show that one CAN NOT be a praticing Christian and be homosexual. This young man desperately needs our prayers, because he is making a wrong choice. Anyone who goes against what the Father says is not for him (the Father).

(Tried to stay on topic...hope I did) :perplexed

I think you put this beautifully... :yep: