Encouragement for Today - 4/4/07

Nice & Wavy

Good Morning sisters......be encouraged!

Blessings!

#yiv1805710985 st1\:*{}​
April 4, 2007
The Mom in the Mirror
“However, … the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:33 (NIV)
Devotion:
I’ll never forget the day I saw myself in that mirror. Even though over a decade of time has passed since I caught the glimpse, the image is still vivid. And I’m sorry to say that it wasn’t a pretty one. My then six-year-old daughter and her three-year-old brother were playing together in their room. I strolled down the hall to check on the baby who was due up from his nap soon. It was then that I saw it.

As I approached the room where my kids were playing, I heard Mackenzie’s voice pipe up as she expressed to Mitchell her immense displeasure. You see, he was not stacking the colorful, snap-together, plastic blocks in a manner that suited her. As I neared the door I heard her sharply declare “No, Mitchell. Not that way! Oh, just give it to me! Anybody with a brain knows they go like this, not like that. Can’t you ever do anything right?” Her words, though unkind, weren’t the real issue. What bothered me most was that they were spoken with a caustic, condescending tone. I was not going to let her get away with it.

I stepped into the room and with classic mom form - hand on hip, finger pointed, throwing the child’s middle name in for emphasis???I gave it to her. “Mackenzie Leith Ehman! Young lady, I don’t ever want to hear you talk like that to your brother again!” Without even looking up from her pile of blocks, she quickly and calmly retorted. “Why not, Mama? You talk like that to Daddy all the time.”

Ouch! My kids often serve as a painstakingly honest mirror when it comes to my attitudes and actions. The offense my daughter had committed that day paled in comparison to what I feared my kids were witnessing in our home as they saw their mom interact with their dad in a disrespectful manner. I cried and prayed and cried some more. I told my husband what had transpired. I then told my moms’ Bible study group. Turns out I wasn’t the only mom who had a little mirror in their house. Many of us had seen ourselves vividly reflected through the voices and actions of our offspring. We vowed together to keep our words and tones in check. Of course, we found out this is often easier said than done.

The word “respect” in today’s verse can be one we wives assume we are obeying because we have a limited view of its true meaning. A quick reading of this verse in the Amplified Version of the Bible sheds a deeper light. Its parenthetical description of the word “respect” reads, “that she notices him, regards him, honors him, prefers him, venerates, and esteems him; and that she defers to him, praises him, and loves and admires him exceedingly.” Whew! No wonder God wants marriage to last a lifetime. It might take us women a lifetime to learn to exhibit all those qualities!

It’s been a long time since I spied my ugly self in that mirror that day. I still struggle at times with a sharp tongue, often saying things in jest that in reality are unkind. And my kids now reserve the right to call me on the carpet for such behavior. We moms need to remind ourselves that there are little and not so little eyes watching, and in many cases imitating what they see. What’s in your mirror?

Dear Lord, Forgive me for the times I have used my words, attitudes and actions as weapons of disrespect toward my husband. Empower and enable me to live a life that accurately reflects what a godly wife should be. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Wow...this is awesome as always.

But also for another reason. Remember the 'words' regarding 'our husbands' that the Lord allowed me add to 'yesterday's' message?

Is our God not on time or what? Is He not a confirmer; a follow-upper; a sure enough firm foundation Father God of ours?

Oh how we honor and praise Him. May I allow Him to continue to keep us in His flow and in one accord with each other.

You're being used in a mighty way, Precious Wavy...a mighty way. And seek less for nothing. God for the full flow for God wants to show you and your husband more that He has called the two of you for. Just go with the flow daring for 'more' and more of Him. He's already said 'Yes' to His best that you've been seeking Him for...and even much, much more.

Awesome FYI: I arrived home a little late tonight. I didn't plan to log on, but I am so glad that I did. God had several blessings waiting here for me. Mocha5 and you...

Love and blessings...more than words. ;)

Shimmie said:
Wow...this is awesome as always.

But also for another reason. Remember the 'words' regarding 'our husbands' that the Lord allowed me add to 'yesterday's' message?

Is our God not on time or what? Is He not a confirmer; a follow-upper; a sure enough firm foundation Father God of ours?

Oh how we honor and praise Him. May I allow Him to continue to keep us in His flow and in one accord with each other.

You're being used in a mighty way, Precious Wavy...a mighty way. And seek less for nothing. God for the full flow for God wants to show you and your husband more that He has called the two of you for. Just go with the flow daring for 'more' and more of Him. He's already said 'Yes' to His best that you've been seeking Him for...and even much, much more.

Awesome FYI: I arrived home a little late tonight. I didn't plan to log on, but I am so glad that I did. God had several blessings waiting here for me. Mocha5 and you...

Love and blessings...more than words. ;)

Shimmie,

As soon as I had read this, I thought of you right away and what you had said about the same thing the day before! God is amazing and He is always on time! I thank Him for always using you to bring forth His Word and He always confirms what has been said. You definately hear from God!

I receive that word you have just spoken and its just a confirmation of what the Lord has already spoken to us, just recently especially, about what He is going to do with us and where it will be. There is a shifting taking place and we have recognized it and have been praying because we know that it is going to be HUGE! I believe you have been given a glimspe of what the Lord is doing. Thank you for hearing and being obedient by speaking it out....you are a true blessing and we should all be so thankful tht the Lord has placed you on this forum to share God's wisdom with is all....bless you!

Nice & Wavy said:
Shimmie,

As soon as I had read this, I thought of you right away and what you had said about the same thing the day before! God is amazing and He is always on time! I thank Him for always using you to bring forth His Word and He always confirms what has been said. You definately hear from God!

I receive that word you have just spoken and its just a confirmation of what the Lord has already spoken to us, just recently especially, about what He is going to do with us and where it will be. There is a shifting taking place and we have recognized it and have been praying because we know that it is going to be HUGE! I believe you have been given a glimspe of what the Lord is doing. Thank you for hearing and being obedient by speaking it out....you are a true blessing and we should all be so thankful tht the Lord has placed you on this forum to share God's wisdom with is all....bless you!

I love 'marriages.' They are so precious and few. And so here's another blessing for you.

The love of God is overflowing and is enriching you and your marriage. God has 'anchored' your marriage and increased your love 'FIRST'. For the call is great and you will not miss a wave of its annointing upon you...not a wave.

".....not a wave." (I just took note of those words...'not a wave.' ;) )

Shimmie said:
I love 'marriages.' They are so precious and few. And so here's another blessing for you.

The love of God is overflowing and is enriching you and your marriage. God has 'anchored' your marriage and increased your love 'FIRST'. For the call is great and you will not miss a wave of its annointing upon you...not a wave.

".....not a wave." (I just took note of those words...'not a wave.' ;) )

Wow, powerful stuff....girl, you are going to have to pm me for more of these...can't have it out there in 'internet land' too much....you know what I mean...lol!!!:p

Nice & Wavy said:
Wow, powerful stuff....girl, you are going to have to pm me for more of these...can't have it out there in 'internet land' too much....you know what I mean...lol!!!:p

:yep: Yes...I do. PM's it is.

((( hugs ))) ;)

Back