Spinny: How To Care For Your WACK PATCH??

Thank you for this thread. I thought I was the only one with a bad patch.

Where is your WACK PATCH? In the back, on the right side. It's always been there. Before I started my hair journey, it was about two inches long :cry3: I don't understand why it grows so much slower than the rest of my hair. Sometimes, it won't even "take" a relaxer.
What texture is the majority of your hair vs the WACK PATCH? It's this weird, dry 3C patch.All my other hair is a silky 3c, dry 4a, dry 4b if that makes any sense.
How do you care for it?? I have to give that part extra attention... really. I have to massage it more than the other parts of my hair, just to get it caught up. I can't put too much heat on it. I have to baby it when I wear a braidout (it's hard to braid that section).

My hair is all springy little kinks, a medium-fine, porous 4b. My wack patch is the area in front and on top of my head. It's loose kinky-wavy, like a highly-textured 3c, and refuses to curl and shrink. When I look at this part of my head and see all of those strands of dead hay sucking as hard as they can, I want to fly through the internet and bite all the people complaining that they have too much shrinkage.
My wack patch needs less conditioner and detangles effortlessly. It gets weighed down very easily with product and looks dull, limp and shapeless. I have to be careful not to disturb it as it sets, or else it will look like I got electrocuted.

Last edited:
My Hair is being mean to me!! :perplexedThis is a spin-off from my BC thread. There are many of y'all that say you have a WACK PATCH too (area of hair on your head that does NOT cooperate with the rest of your hair AT ALL - may be a different texture altogether). I would like to know how you care for yours and is there anything you do that makes it behave better or blend in.

I have cut all the relaxed hair off and I doubt that mine is head damaged because all the other hair reverts easily and I pay the same amout of care to my entire head. There may not be any hope - but if there is I want to know. I hate being limited to certain styles because of this area of hair.

• Where is your WACK PATCH?
  • What texture is the majority of your hair vs the WACK PATCH?
  • How do you care for it??
THANK Y'ALL!!

Mine isn't too bad...its a softer curl in my nape area...like 3B or 3C area wheras my who head is type 4AB. I could never wear a real afro when I was shorter cause it would just look crazy and never "stand out". I wear twists all the time now so I have to twist those smaller...and i have to put a lil gel at the end cause They unravel quicker..... Plus it grows faster than the rest of my hair so my hair grows in a V-shape.....

I find that my 4a, b and c textures tend to cooperate more with styles. It is the back which is waaaaaay looser, perhaps a 4a/3c mix which is not cooperating.

It's at the nape and also at the sides. Side is not an issue, but the fact that it covers a lot of my nape is a problem because it doesn't hold any styles AT ALL. It also tends to be more moisturised than other parts of my hair. It's just so fine, so I try to blend it with my other hair types when possible. Otherwise I just have to avoid touching it as much when unraveling twists etc.

Mine is at the back of my head on the lower left side and also the front end of my scalp on the left side. It's "wack" because it doesn't have any kind curl pattern, so what I do is usually twist or pin it back some kinda way. Or, I use different products on it than the rest of my hair and curl it with my fingers so that it's not completely random. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnt...

my wack patch is in my crown, it's not heat damage because its always been there before i ever straightened my hair, but as it grows it becomes more pronounced...the majority of my hair is 3c/4a tightly curled, but the wack patch is mostly just frizzy waves that i have to coax into curling right.
it used to just be bigger curls than the rest:

but the more it grows, the more the curls in that section kinda elongate into waves. i'll post a pic after i wash my hair. i honestly just let the patch do its own thing...i still wear wash and go's but if it looks to weird on a particular day i just pin it or push it back or rock a bun or pony...sometimes i do a twistout just on that section to make the curls tighter.

omg your curls are gorgeous.

yeah my wack patch is like my ENTIRE crown area (i think it's growing and converting the rest of my hair into wack patches). mine is nothing but extra dry frizz with a light wave. like someone else said its amost crunchy feeling. the rest of my hair is mainly 3c. no matter what products i use on it and all the finger curling in the world will not get it to curl. mine is less dense than the rest of my hair but i think thats because it frustrates me and i handle it too much or may not be as delicate with it as i should and therefore get more breakage and shedding. i always condition that part first and use loads of conditioner. even when i straighten, my wack patch feels different from the rest of my hair.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one with a wack patch crown. I don't know how I'll wear W&G when I finish transitioning. My hair is 3c, but the crown is just frizz - I call it 2C. It will not curl and looks stupid. It grows the fastest and never breaks, so that's good. But, it sure looks dumb laying on top of springy curls.

I don't think there's anything I can do about it, though. No matter how I care for it, it's not gonna curl up.

Last edited:
my wack patch currently:

i put the top in a ponytail so you can see the difference...

camouflaged...bobby pins are my bff:

i really dont think there's a cure for the wack patch besides trying to blend it with the other textures...i only know a few ppl with just one texture on their heads...

I think the majority of us have crown issues because the sun is always beaming on it! I've been applying rice bran oil to my scalp morning and night because it has SPF properties and its also a ceramide. Win Win

My wack patch is wack.com
It's two inches from the nape of my neck in the back. One and a half inches in diameter. It breaks there. It falls out completely on occasion. It's twice as nappy. When the relaxer does take, the strands look disfigured like a spiral staircase. I thought I got rid of it once for good, but it came back within a year.

At the next relaxing, I'm gonna try a new sectioning pattern. Remember that game Simon? I will relax the wack patch last. I'm gonna call it Simon from now on. :lol:
I'm gonna stop trying to comb thru Simon and start back doing my wasabi scalp masks again for circulation.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

I have a wack patch and it's getting on my nerves. Mostly when I do a wash n' go. My hair is 3c except for right in the back of my head right above my kitchen. It is a wooly/kinky texture and it does not curl up like the rest of my hair. As my hair gets longer it is getting better but I still hate the damn thing.

Sent from my EVO using LHCF

I have two wack patches.

All of my hair is 4a except for my nape and the first few inches of my hairline. The nape is more 3c and the front is, well... wack. :lol: The front barely curls at all! Both sections moisturize well but styling is a whole other story. I have to do some serious work to make these sections look like everything else.

my wack patch is my bangs. it's a weird teflon texture. Doesn't break, weird puffy looser curl pattern. weird as hayell.

i have two one on my crown and the front of my hair line. :cry: so very rude.

The crown is a mixture of textures and is all broken off and tangles so easily. Shorter than my sides and back by a very noticeable amount (8-9" maybe.)

My hairline will not keep moisture for anything and all it does is break off.. I think it's 4B and the rest of my hair is a 4a/3c mixture. Ugh i wish it was in the back.

My whack patch has improved lately as I've been putting more effort into moisturizing and sealing the area. At least now it breaks less and feels like the rest of my hair.

I have a couple of wack patches the first is from my crown to my hairline just that middle section it's not curly but wavy and offers up a curl just on the ends of the hair this looks strange because the sides of my head for the most part are 4a and have springy curls.I also have a little patch on the front side of my head that just frizzes all to heck no matter how much product I put on it.

My wack patch extends from ear to ear on the back of my head, it's a combo of 4a and 4b and it's super dry. It doesn't matter if my hair is natural or relaxed that area will dread for no reason and it's so annoying.

My wack patch is front row and center (is this considered the crown?). It's very straight compared to my tightly coiled natural hair. I don't deal with it. I usually pin it down or braid it down when I am styling.

Where is your WACK PATCH? The middle of my head where I have been bunning for years on end
What texture is the majority of your hair vs the WACK PATCH? The same, just more brittle.
How do you care for it?? make sure I always part my hair there when I deep condition so I don't miss it. Protein treatments and avoiding bunning in that place (but its such a hard habit to stop!)

Its actually improved a lot since I identified it, all it took was a bit of tlc

My whack patch is my crown which feels very wirey, dry, grow slow, and breaks at the slightest touch. I thought it would get better after going natural but no still there. Anyway honeychilehair love's leave in conditioner moisturize my crown to the point it feels like the rest of my hair....., therefore i plan to continue using in this area and see what happens.

My wack patch is my crown on the left side of my head - always has been. I think it's 4a like the rest of my head. It just gets unbelievably dry. When I was relaxed, permed etc. it would stay short and I just couldn't be bothered to give it TLC. Now I'm natural I have to through my hair and moisturise in small sections often, so I pay special attention to that part of my hair. It's retaining length well now. It's no shorter than the rest of my hair anymore.

Yeah i just figured out what my whack patch like n that is what i will use all over. Mine like product so far with shea butter n marshmallow root n more on the creamy side product.

Back