MY 4a PATCH IS DRIVING MY NUTS!!!!!!!

I am 3c with a 4a patch dab smack in the back of my head.
That little patch is driving me absolutely crazy, I can't moisturize it enough and it clearly needs a different kind of attention than the rest of my hair.

How do you ladies deal with unruly patches with a different texture?

mommy2kaela

I used to have a dry patch in the back/ middle of my hair that was at least 2 textures coarser than the rest of my hair, broke easily and didn't retain legnth as well. This was years ago and I started taking calcium to correct it. eventually I cut all of my ahir off and when it gre back the short dry patch was gone. Maybe it just needs extra conditioning or maybe a reconstructor. do you have hard water? Maybe try rinsing with bottled water. do u wear tight ponytails? sometimes that can cause dryness in the back.

I used to have a dry patch in the back/ middle of my hair that was at least 2 textures coarser than the rest of my hair, broke easily and didn't retain legnth as well. This was years ago and I started taking calcium to correct it. eventually I cut all of my ahir off and when it gre back the short dry patch was gone. Maybe it just needs extra conditioning or maybe a reconstructor. do you have hard water? Maybe try rinsing with bottled water. do u wear tight ponytails? sometimes that can cause dryness in the back.

My mother told me that I have always had that patch, that is just the way my hair is.
We don't have hard water and I can't afford to use bottled water :nono:
What does Calcium do for the hair?

Leeda.the.Paladin

I think a lot of people have that unruly patch. I know I do. I usually have to apply more product to it, and when I DC I really concentrate on that area. It still acts up when I do a wash n go, but it's gotten better.

locabouthair

yes my left side is much coarser and drier. The only thing I have been doing is moisturiizng it at least once a day and putting more consitioner in that area, and not manipulating it much because it breaks much easier than the rest of my hair.

Avyn

I have the same thing. only i have 2 and they are smack dab in the front sides of my head, right in front of my ears. i cannot for the life of me slick down my edges. the rest of my head is 3c wavy/spirally mix, but these two parts are.....? not that. its really annoying. I do the same as you guys, put more conditioner on that part. has anyone noticed that these "rough patches" straighten faster and straighter. I flat ironed my hair once and these two parts straightened like champs.

these two parts grow extra slow though. I cut the rest of my hair because it looked weird that my back was 3 inches from APL, but my sides were ear length. aaarrrggghhh! I cut my back (about 3-4 inches) to shoulder length and just started using mega-tek hoping it would help these parts grow faster to keep up with the rest.

glamazon386

I have one like that too and it keeps breaking off. :ohwell: It did the same thing when I was relaxed. I thought it was the relaxer but I guess not. It's not as bad now as it was when I was relaxed but it always feels dry compared to the rest of my hair no matter what I do. It's just totally different from the rest of my hair.

mommy2kaela

My mother told me that I have always had that patch, that is just the way my hair is.
We don't have hard water and I can't afford to use bottled water :nono:
What does Calcium do for the hair?

calcium helps to soften the hair and helps it to be stronger and retain moisture sometimes if their is a calcium deficiency the hair and skin can get dry the same with vit c. You'll prob just have to use different products on that section of hair maybe experiment until u find something that works

mommy2kaela

I have the same thing. only i have 2 and they are smack dab in the front sides of my head, right in front of my ears. i cannot for the life of me slick down my edges. the rest of my head is 3c wavy/spirally mix, but these two parts are.....? not that. its really annoying. I do the same as you guys, put more conditioner on that part. has anyone noticed that these "rough patches" straighten faster and straighter. I flat ironed my hair once and these two parts straightened like champs.

these two parts grow extra slow though. I cut the rest of my hair because it looked weird that my back was 3 inches from APL, but my sides were ear length. aaarrrggghhh! I cut my back (about 3-4 inches) to shoulder length and just started using mega-tek hoping it would help these parts grow faster to keep up with the rest.

yea when I used to have a rough patch it was way shorter than the rest of my hair. hair texture changes all through our lives so who knows what causes this, but it is annoying.

MissRissa

I have one like that too and it keeps breaking off. :ohwell: It did the same thing when I was relaxed. I thought it was the relaxer but I guess not. It's not as bad now as it was when I was relaxed but it always feels dry compared to the rest of my hair no matter what I do. It's just totally different from the rest of my hair.

omg i thought the same thing. i thought it was chemical damage. i figured when i stopped relaxing and cut off all the relaxed part, it would change. of course it hasn't. and mine hasn't gotten better since relaxing, its still growing out my scalp that same way. it frustrates me so bad cause it feels kinda gross. like it often feels kinda hard, like that one section has protein overload or something. i was just finna post a question asking if anyone has been able to change the texture of a portion of their hair. that section throws my wash n go's off.

Lei*Lei

I have that patch to. I don't treat it differently or use different products, since its such a small area. i just moisturize this area a bit more than the rest and make sure i get this area good when i dc. So far it has been behaving itself.

lennet93

I have the same problem but its more near my crown. I mean its so dry no matter what I put on it but the strange thing is that it seems to grow fast but always breaks off..:perplexed:ohwell:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i have a patch like this. the pattern doesnt really bother me its just that it is extra coarse and is hard to blend with the rest of my hair its right on my hair line. it always feels dry too but it get straight like no ones buisness. plus its shorter than everything else. i just wear head bands now.