Speaking of flat ironing....since Im already on subject...

shtow

For those breaking off their ends and petrified of the big bad flat iron:

If you flat iron the shaft and when you get the ends, you continue to iron in a straight motion, yes, you are more than likely tearing your ends up. To be safe, assuming you have a quality flat iron with smooth plates, if you curl the hair under (including the ends), this is way less damaging. If you have to have straight ends and must iron them, when you get to the ends a couple of quick, gentle "clamps" will do the job. I find when I just keeping going down on the ends in the same matter than I did the shaft, my ends cuss me out!

I have seen a lot of vids where people do this and I cringe (maybe my ends are not as strong? IDK but I suffer from minimal breakage)

HTH someone...

i don't bump my ends with the flat iron.

I use the comb chase method, with a fine tooth comb to straighten, I do lessen the tension when I get to the ends though - meaning I don't clamp the plates together as hard. The comb keeps them detangled and straight, so they don't need all that pressure to straighten.

I hate when you get those bends in the hair if it takes the shape of the edge of the flatiron :nono: For a bump I pin curl and that works for me.

I hate when you get those bends in the hair if it takes the shape of the edge of the flatiron :nono: For a bump I pin curl and that works for me.

If I quickly roll up the hair on the iron like it is a curling iron I don't get those dents. I know what your talking about, I hate those too.

I've been on a "no flat, marcel or any other iron on my ends challenge" since the beginning of the year. I'm trying to see if I can go a year without trimming.

Thanks for the info. It confirmed something I had been thinking about.

I bump/curl my ends under, too. I've just always done it that way because it looks better. I don't see how it's less damaging, though....

I use a 1 inch Biosilk flat iron.

Back