Natural flat ironing hair.....

chocolatejalapeno

I need some help.... yesterday I flat iron my hair. I first detangled my hair with Johnson's detangler for kids. Then shampooed my hair, then used the 3 min masque from garnier to condition my hair. Used the detangler again. Then used a half dollar size amount of 24/7 Sunsilk and WGO OIL. Blowdried my ultra soft hair. Then proceded to flat iron each section with pressing wax. That is when things went wrong!! My ends were horrible but roots look really good. Does anyone have this problem when they flat iron their natural hair. How do I correct this?

ETA: The ends would not get straight at all and would revert. I never had this problem when my was relax. Ends would all ways be smooth.

camellia

I'm sorry you had a bad flat ironing experience. I had one myself a few weeks ago.

I've never heard of pressing wax before, is it a mixture of beeswax and something else? Could you possibly need a trim? I know when I used to flat iron all the time, when my ends were really damaged they just would NOT straighten out, I'd always have a mass of frizz at the bottom.

chocolatejalapeno

I might need a trim... but if I get a trim it will be really really short. I still think that it should flat iron straighter at the ends. It just like a blowdried my hair when I got finished with flat ironing my hair.

Used press and curl wax from tress trazitions.

Last edited:

chocolatejalapeno

What kind of flat iron did you use?
Do not know the brand cause I have had it for awhile but it heats up to 400 degrees and I have flat iron my hair several times with it and my hair hair has came out fine
Did you blow dry with a round brush?
No my blowdry has a clip attachment on it
OT: Is that your in your siggy?
No .... just some random chick with my future man lol

mermaid

Aaliyahredefined said:
I need some help.... yesterday I flat iron my hair. I first detangled my hair with Johnson's detangler for kids. Then shampooed my hair, then used the 3 min masque from garnier to condition my hair. Used the detangler again. Then used a half dollar size amount of 24/7 Sunsilk and WGO OIL. Blowdried my ultra soft hair. Then proceded to flat iron each section with pressing wax. That is when things went wrong!! My ends were horrible but roots look really good. Does anyone have this problem when they flat iron their natural hair. How do I correct this?

ETA: The ends would not get straight at all and would revert. I never had this problem when my was relax. Ends would all ways be smooth.
To me it sounds like too much product. Too much water left on your hair and of course the ends reverted. Pressing wax is to be used very very VERY sparingly as it's heavy and greasy.
Also, when you iron, run a fine tooth comb in front of the iron to make the ends straight so you don't iron crinkles.

angelita842002

mermaid said:
To me it sounds like too much product. Too much water left on your hair and of course the ends reverted. Pressing wax is to be used very very VERY sparingly as it's heavy and greasy.
Also, when you iron, run a fine tooth comb in front of the iron to make the ends straight so you don't iron crinkles.

I agree I think you used to much prodcut and pressing wax:eek: . When you get your hair done at the salon they barely use any products on your hair especially something heavy and greasy. I flat ironed my hair in my avatar all i used was a little bit of ntm and ic heat protector then put it in a couple of buns let it airdry over night and flat ironed the next day and thats how it came out. Try not using so much stuff next time and see if that works. I also have to make sure to wash and stuff the day b4 so it can airdry and i wont have to use another heat method. HTH

chocolatejalapeno

I am going to try a different method. Not going to detangle before but after I condition. Will squeeze more water out my hair. If that does not work then i am going to airdry. I will not give up.

Also the pressing wax is VERY VERY light. Not heavy at all.