So my Mother asked me this and I'm asking you....

ManeVixen

Today I was talking to my mother and she is natural (I am too), she wanted to know how come women years ago, Im guessing the afro era use to use a steaming hot pressing comb to press their hair then to around and have a afro....no heat damage. Today I have serious heat damage from my stylist flat tourmaline/ceramic/heat protectant irons.

My only explanation was your hair is between to hot plates, but she said back in the day flat irons would be steaming hot...so I really didn't have an answer for her:wallbash:
Ive been talking about getting a straighting comb these past couple of days so this really made me go hmmmmm ....watch the answer is soooo easy:lachen:

Thoughts?

handfuls of vaseline was slathered on prior to pressing. <---- In my case anyway!

I'm guessing the petroleum was acting like a "heat protectant." Now that I think about it, I've never had damage from a press and that comb was smokin hot!!!!!

I agree. It has something to do with vaseline, royal crown grease, blue magic, and ultrasheen grease. I used to get my hair pressed and I never had damage.

handfuls of vaseline was slathered on prior to pressing. <---- In my case anyway!

I'm guessing the petroleum was acting like a "heat protectant." Now that I think about it, I've never had damage from a press and that comb was smokin hot!!!!!

Thank you!:grin: So im going to try it I know it wont be smoking hot when I use it though :nono: its worth a try:yep:

I agree. It has something to do with vaseline, royal crown grease, blue magic, and ultrasheen grease. I used to get my hair pressed and I never had damage.

So ladies do you think a pressing comb and my usual heat protectant work? I use Oscar Blandi ...and Chi sometimes

i think yall are on to something. i used to flat iron and hot comb the heck outta my hair with some blue magic.

but as soon as i switched to a ceramic tourmaline flat iron and regular heat protectant with no other product, that's when i jacked up my curl pattern! i just thought the flat iron was too high. but maybe its the grease!!!

So ladies do you think a pressing comb and my usual heat protectant work? I use Oscar Blandi ...and Chi sometimes

Hmm, I think the problem with most pressing combs is that the heat is distributed unevenly. Whereas ceramic/tourmaline flat irons distribute heat evenly. You can have "hot spots" in a pressing comb.

I don't think a pressing comb is the ultimate solution. I'm sure there are a number of horror stories. If you put that baby on the stove with some "light sheen or oil" you can guarantee there will be some damage. Your stylist prbbly didnt use the proper protection which is why you may have damage.

How often are you using heat????

I'm sorry I've never used Oscar Blandi or Chi, so I can't provide any insight but maybe someone else can chime in!

Yes, I think it was the grease too. Back then we were just weraing pig tails and maybe ring curls and we didn't know a/b that "swang"! My hair use to be so stiff when my momma finished pressing it. It seems most naturals want bouncy hair when they flat iron nowadays.

Do you have thin hair? Because that would be a problem if you're flatironing it too often. Just a thought.

Do you have thin hair? Because that would be a problem if you're flatironing it too often. Just a thought.
No

Hmm, I think the problem with most pressing combs is that the heat is distributed unevenly. Whereas ceramic/tourmaline flat irons distribute heat evenly. You can have "hot spots" in a pressing comb.

I don't think a pressing comb is the ultimate solution. I'm sure there are a number of horror stories. If you put that baby on the stove with some "light sheen or oil" you can guarantee there will be some damage. Your stylist prbbly didnt use the proper protection which is why you may have damage.

How often are you using heat????

I'm sorry I've never used Oscar Blandi or Chi, so I can't provide any insight but maybe someone else can chime in!
Prior to last summer when I sent to this stylist I went from my fro to my swanging hair just fine. I think your right she probably wasn't using enough protection.
I press my hair weekly and my new growth is curly like normal:yep:

Yes, I think it was the grease too. Back then we were just weraing pig tails and maybe ring curls and we didn't know a/b that "swang"! My hair use to be so stiff when my momma finished pressing it. It seems most naturals want bouncy hair when they flat iron nowadays.
I dont think I can do the grease though:lachen:

Thanks for responding everyone!:yep:

i have a friend that is a natural 4a and she flat irons. i noticed when she does it she doesn't use a heat protectant, she uses some sort of grease. ♥

I don't know if it is the grease though.
I always thought that using heavy greases and oils (with a few exceptions) with heat would fry your hair. I know that using petroleum jelly with high heat will fry the hair because it's a fabulous heat conductor.

I think that the difference between now and then was just usage. Firstly, I almost never got my hair pressed. Only on my birthday, school picture day, and other rare special occasions. I feel like people straighten their hair more often now, so they're more prone to heat damage.

And when my mom straightened my hair, she was very careful with how hot she let it get and how long she left it in my hair because it didn't come with any built in safeguards. It was a hunk of metal with a handle. As long as she left it on the stove, it'd get hotter and hotter, so she was very vigilant about watching it. Now, I think that most people aren't so concerned with precautions, because of all the extra bells and whistles on heat styling appliances. All the ionized heat, infrared lights, ceramic/tourmaline plates, heat dials, blah blah blah lulls people into a false sense of security, and I feel like they don't watch what they're doing as carefully. Regular folks and stylists alike have gotten real comfortable using ridiculously excessive amounts of heat because as long as they use their $500 machine (or a $20 machine with "ceramic" plates) to do it, nothing is going to happen. :rolleyes:

And as one of the ladies said already, getting hair straight enough to put into stiff ringlets and ponytails takes far less heat than getting hair silky, swangy, Pocahantas straight. Ergo, less potential for heat damage.

But all that aside, looking back on my childhood, I feel like there were lots of little girls running around with heat-trained hair. Nobody identified it as damaged, because damage implies that something is wrong with the hair, and to folks, heat training the hair was a good thing. Hell, people purposefully trained their children's hair. I had classmates who would brag about their trained hair and how "easy" it was. But a difference in perception doesn't change the fact that folks have been losing their texture to heat appliances for a while now. It's not so new.

I always thought that using heavy greases and oils (with a few exceptions) with heat would fry your hair. I know that using petroleum jelly with high heat will fry the hair because it's a fabulous heat conductor.

I think that the difference between now and then was just usage. Firstly, I almost never got my hair pressed. Only on my birthday, school picture day, and other rare special occasions. I feel like people straighten their hair more often now, so they're more prone to heat damage.

And when my mom straightened my hair, she was very careful with how hot she let it get and how long she left it in my hair because it didn't come with any built in safeguards. It was a hunk of metal with a handle. As long as she left it on the stove, it'd get hotter and hotter, so she was very vigilant about watching it. Now, I think that most people aren't so concerned with precautions, because of all the extra bells and whistles on heat styling appliances. All the ionized heat, infrared lights, ceramic/tourmaline plates, heat dials, blah blah blah lulls people into a false sense of security, and I feel like they don't watch what they're doing as carefully. Regular folks and stylists alike have gotten real comfortable using ridiculously excessive amounts of heat because as long as they use their $500 machine (or a $20 machine with "ceramic" plates) to do it, nothing is going to happen. :rolleyes:

And as one of the ladies said already, getting hair straight enough to put into stiff ringlets and ponytails takes far less heat than getting hair silky, swangy, Pocahantas straight. Ergo, less potential for heat damage.

But all that aside, looking back on my childhood, I feel like there were lots of little girls running around with heat-trained hair. Nobody identified it as damaged, because damage implies that something is wrong with the hair, and to folks, heat training the hair was a good thing. Hell, people purposefully trained their children's hair. I had classmates who would brag about their trained hair and how "easy" it was. But a difference in perception doesn't change the fact that folks have been losing their texture to heat appliances for a while now. It's not so new.

I completely agree. I don't think people recognized heat damage back then the way we do now, and then there's still a huge majority of black women that don't frequent the hair boards that aren't that concerned with it. I wouldn't say it's a new thing, I'd just say that now we recognize it as heat damage.

I was pressed every two weeks for years and never had any problem with "training". However, when I was trying to flat iron my hair as a natural for the first time I had sagging curls afterwards. I think because with the flat iron we use heat to relax the curl patter and with a comb you detangle and then smooth with the back of the comb. I really think it is the different technique. I have also noticed if I blowdry first I don't have sagging curls either. I have learned that my hair needs to be detangled and semi-straight before messing with a flat iron.

I don't believe back in that day that people abused heat like they do today. My mother got her hair hot combed once a month. She never used heat any other time.

People think that these new tools are safer than the old school iron on the stove. Eh, who knows, but people are more willing to take chances with the new tools. Also, some feel they can't live without these new tools. Back in the day, folks could take or leave the hot comb.

Plus hairstyles of yester year were concerned about maintaining a good reputation for doing hair and they took their time to do your hair. Now a lot of hairstylist work like a microwave, in and out.

Yup, you might be right. :yep:

Now that I think about it I only got my hair pressed 1-1.5months. Everytime I washed which was 1-1.5months!

To be honest, the first time i went natural and i bought a hot comb. I didn't know what i was doing by any means neccesary, but i did use grease and that hot comb to straighten my hair. it came out awful but it reverted and back then i had no knowledge at all about heat damage... ~kayne shrug~

OP, ITA with your mom. My mom and her sisters wore press 'n curls for years - no damage. Her sisters wore fros and their curl pattern was still there. They were both 3B's (they are natural) and my mom is a 3C/4A mix with fine hair.

Only one thing, though -although the irons are "steaming" when they come off the stove, the person pressing the hair lets them cool off before applying the comb to the hair, so I don't think they are necessarily as hot as a 400-450 degree flat iron, pressing your hair flat between two plates. The high, high heat of the flat iron, along with the hair being pressed down flat is probably the culprit behind heat damage. I honestly don't know how people put 400-450 degrees of heat on their hair. I keep my flat iron between 230-280 degrees - even deep into a stretch, my NG gets silky straight on low heat. (I'm relaxed, but my mother pressed my hair for many, many years)

My hair will laugh at 200 degrees....I think the pressing comb was hotter than a flat iron because of the paper towel test. When I put papertowel between my flatiron, it doesn't color the paper towel but the pressing comb always went from brown to yellow, and when it turned yellow is when my mom would use it. I think my stylist used it even hotter than that and I never had problems with reversion. I used to actually PRAY for my hair to train but it NEVER DID! I got my hair pressed about once a month btw

Also, my mom NEVER used grease before pressing because it would burn her hand if she touched my hair. Only thing that went in my hair before pressing was those kiddie detanglers and then she would apply oil sheen or pressing cream AFTER she pressed it.

My hair will laugh at 200 degrees....I think the pressing comb was hotter than a flat iron because of the paper towel test. When I put papertowel between my flatiron, it doesn't color the paper towel but the pressing comb always went from brown to yellow, and when it turned yellow is when my mom would use it. I think my stylist used it even hotter than that and I never had problems with reversion. I used to actually PRAY for my hair to train but it NEVER DID! I got my hair pressed about once a month btw

Also, my mom NEVER used grease before pressing because it would burn her hand if she touched my hair. Only thing that went in my hair before pressing was those kiddie detanglers and then she would apply oil sheen or pressing cream AFTER she pressed it.

Your hair looks very pretty and healthy in your siggy.

Yes...everyone's hair is different as far as temperature.

Thanks ladies:yep:
I understand that maybe people didn't know how to identify heat damage back then but you can tell if some of your hair is bone straight and wont revert back. Ive never had used a pressing comb but seems like if they had hair patches that wouldn't revert back they could tell right?

I pressed my hair once a week for years and never had any damage. My hair was thick and shiny and long. I never had any problems aside from the one time my grandmother mistakenly let the comb get to hot. Other than that, my hair was fine.

I'm 4b. But not the Oprah/Rudy thick 4b. Its average in thickness.
They would use two tons of grease and pressing oil on my hair to press with the hot comb every two weeks. and then go around the edges to "touch it up" at the one week mark in between. I still remember that burning dirty hair smell. :nono: My hair always reverted, so i don't know if it was damaging or not. My hair never did get past my shoulders tho. and still has not to this day.

I'm transitioning and I flat iron weekly. I think the flat irons out now are good tools if u don't abuse them. For me, I get my hair straight with the blow dryer. That is the big step, the blow dry. And the blow dry is not about high heat. Its about technique, getting good tension on the hair to get it straight. Also, its about moisture, I deep conditioner my hair under the steamer before every flat iron. By the time I have conditioned and blow dried my hair, flat ironing is a breeze. And I only do ONE PASS with iron. and its a relatively quick pass. i don't sit there going slowly over each peice several times. And i never flat iron dirty hair.

IA @ the bolded. My mom sent me to the shop for a press every couple of weeks. As hot as the comb was and as much grease that was used, I think that was far less damaging than when I used to flat iron every day on 400 degrees. Plus I think there's something to be said about that young, strong virgin hair we all had as kids.

IA @ the bolded. My mom sent me to the shop for a press every couple of weeks. As hot as the comb was and as much grease that was used, I think that was far less damaging than when I used to flat iron every day on 400 degrees. Plus I think there's something to be said about that young, strong virgin hair we all had as kids.

This is so true, the things that were done to my hair back then, I don't know if it could take it now. I'm transitioning and hoping to get my hair at close to the thickness and strength it had back then.

Back