So Curls and Curl Junkie dont know what vegan means?

scribblescrabble2

I have been transitioning to veganism for ethical reasons and I decided to start with my hair/bath/beauty products. So I emailed a few manufacturers such as Curls and Curl Junkie to find out what vegan products they had available, especially since ingredients such as glycerin may or may not be vegan friendly depending on it's source. Curl Junkie told me that most of their products were vegan and Curls assured me that all of their products were vegan.

So I went to their respective websites and as it turns out quite a few of their products contain ingredients such as silk amino acids, honey and collagen, etc. I decided to send Curls another email clarifying what I meant by vegan and they still insisted that all of their products are vegan. :wallbash: I was going to send another email but I decided that it wasn't worth it. I'm just happy I didn't waste any money on their products.

Thanks for letting me vent. :sad:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I'm also curious what made you decide to become vegan. Mmmm you'll probably have to go to one of the vegan stores to make sure you get products that are 100% vegan. I don't think many hair care lines even consider catering to vegans. :/

Janet'

/\ Oh, right- nothing having to do with animals...so, honey- comes from bees and silk- worms....Interesting...

OP, I would be interested in knowing if there is a major product line that caters to vegans.

caribbeancurly

I'm a vegetarian who enjoys vegan food as well. And sadly, most people don't understand what a vegan is.

I still get the "but you eat fish, right?" question as a vegetarian. Even though a fish is clearly an animal. Their products are animal cruelty free so they probably assumed that that meant vegan.

Zaz

I think Aubrey organics has some vegan products, not all of them (GPB isn't) but some are.
I'm pretty sure Giovanni also has some vegan products

eta
Here's a website you can browse even if you don't buy from the you'll know which products are actually vegan. hth.
http://www.veganessentials.com/

Last edited:

diva24

Most non-vegans are not educated on the details/ ins and outs of veganism. When you make lifestyle changes I think its inherent that you accept the fact that every business or person you encounter may not know what veganism/"insert your lifestyle here" is. Your own research revealed the answers you sought. I do not think they intended any harm.

DivaD04

Vegan. So, if I'm not mistaken, anything that isn't derived from animals/animal byproducts and whatnot?!
I'm not a vegan, but have thought about being a vegetarian. I'm not because my family eats meat, ESPECIALLY dh so it'll be hard to make the transition.

scribblescrabble2

To those who are wondering why I want to go vegan: To quickly summarize I am trying to do my best not to exploit/harm people and animals. I also decided that I really don't need things like honey or silk to survive.

I realize that not every business doesn't understand or cater to vegans, but the thing that really irked me was that after I explained what I considered veganism to be, she still brushed me off. I have other products I can use, (like Jessicurl and some of Darcy's Botanicals for example) I was just being a product junkie.

I do love vegan essentials, as well as pangea and alternative outfitters.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian at the moment, AND I live in the south, so it has been interesting so far. :lachen:

DivaD04: It took me a few tries to stick with it, so if you fail a few times don't get discouraged. I'm from a family of meat eaters who scoff at my eating habits so I feel your pain.

Thanks again to everyone for responding.:yep: