Smooth N Shine Curl Activator Gel

CurlyWavyGal

For the longest time, I have been searching for gel that gave great curl definition for my 3A/3B hair without the crunchiness. I think I've finally found it. I recently purchased Smooth N Shine's Curl Activator Gel for extra dry hair. This stuff is sooo good. I washed and conditioned my hair and then applied it while damp. I immediately saw my curls and waves pop out. I then thought it would probably lose its luster once my hair fully dried but surprisingly the curl definition remained the same. I got better results than I had with the BBD Glass and without the "crunch". Plus it leaves a great shine without a greasy feel. Definite keeper.

Tai

Most Asian BSS carry it. I've only seen it in one Sally's before.

Thanks for the review. I'll add it to my must try list.

sweettrini

CWGal: Do you use any other products to moisturize when using this product?? Also, how much do you use and how do you apply it? Do you just rub it in all over your head or part and apply??

CurlyWavyGal

Sweettrini, What I did was shampoo and condition my hair with Suave's Awapuhi shampoo and conditioner (great products). After throroughly washing my hair, I towel blotted my hair and let it air dry just a little. Then I applied the gel in the front and on the sides just to see how the product would take. I was instantly pleased with the curl definition. After my hair fully dried I parted the hair and applied the rest of the product. Just a little dab will do ya. My hair still has great curl definition and I applied this stuff two days ago. Unlike BBD Glass I didnt need any other product to moisturize my hair. It made my hair soft and shiny.

inthepink

I may just suck it up and order this product. $2.99 is very cheap and there is no way I'll find this around me anymore.

Have you tried applying it to wet hair? I am wondering what your results would be that way? My hair likes product application on wet hair better than dry. If you do try that - please post your results. I am looking for a gel-type product that gives definition and softness and I think a curl activator may be my answer. I like this one b/c it does not have propylene glycol.

CurlyWavyGal

Im planning on washing my hair tonight so I'll apply it to wringing wet hair and see how it comes out. I love the results I got on half-damp, half-dry hair. I'll be back to post results.

CurlyWavyGal

Ok, I followed my usual wash & condition ritual with Sauve. I towel blotted my hair lightly and applied a little of the product over my entire head. My hair curled right up and I had little shrinkage. Its been an hour and a half and my hair is full of curls/coils and a few waves in the front. Very soft and very shiny without the greasy feeling. If I had still been using BBD Glass my hair would be hard as a rock by now.
But I love this product because a little goes a long way.

CurlyWavyGal

[ QUOTE ]
Ar010 said:
I think you suggested this to me for a moisturizer earlier. Are the curls or waves really tight or loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I applied the gel while my hair was still pretty wet, I did experience a little shrinkage but not much. By the end of the night (around 11p.m.) the shrinkage was gone. I guess as my hair dried the curls got looser. Im about to get ready for work and my hair is still curly and shiny. Im going to do a little fingerstyling and hit the road.