Slick Ponytails

chellee

How do you create your snatch-back ponytails? My attemps always seem to lack shine. I don't want the ordinary ponytail/bun look, I am going out of town this weekend and want it to look "polished". I want that wet (but not really wet) shiny thing going on.

Please help.

CORBINS

Smooth N' Shine conditioning gel, any light protein gel and a silk scarf. I leave it wrapped for about 10 minutes. It leaves my hair looking slick and shiny.

PatTodd

Snatch-back professional here :lol: . Co-signing on the above tips. Not sure if this will work for you, but when I make my ponytail, I wet at least the front part of my hair (from hairline to ponytail holder - also my kitchen depending on how high I want the pony to be) , apply oil/product, smooth into place with a fine tooth comb, hold and fasten my ponytail holder, then smooth my front and back edges with more water and/or a little more product or gel. I might use a baby brush to smooth down the edges if my hands aren't doing the job.

Babygurl

I agree 100% with the coconut oil. My secret mixture of S-curl, activator gel and coconut oil always leave me with super shine.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I like JAM conditioning gel. I gets keeps my new growth down as well and has nice shine.

baglady215

I spritz my hair with water too. Then I apply a leave in, WGO or another oil, and sometimes Elasta QP Glaze. I also use a fine tooth comb and a boar bristle brush if needed.

Irresistible

Elasta QP Mango Butter works for me everytime!!!!

I love/hate that stuff lol

ETA: I too am the queen of that look lol

Healthb4Length

Irresistible said:
Elasta QP Mango Butter works for me everytime!!!!

I love/hate that stuff lol

ETA: I too am the queen of that look lol

co-signing! I love this stuff but it's so expensive sometimes!

Yas

I apply gel then I apply water (kinda go back and forth until I get the look I want). The water sofens the gel. *I do not apply gel through out my hair. Only on the top layer. I use a small tooth comb to smooth. Then tie it down with a scarf for at least 20 mins, preferably overnight. In the morning I lightly apply jojoba oil. My hair is now slicked back with shine. This method works wonders when I have a lot of new growth. Except you will see more waves and the waves are shiny.

ETA: Before I start the process above I've already put my hair in a pony tail with a wide tooth comb. Also, I do this on recently washed hair.

Last edited:

caligirl

Yas said:
I apply gel then I apply water (kinda go back and forth until I get the look I want). The water sofens the gel. *I do not apply gel through out my hair. Only on the top layer. I use a small tooth comb to smooth. Then tie it down with a scarf for at least 20 mins, preferably overnight. In the morning I lightly apply jojoba oil. My hair is now slicked back with shine. This method works wonders when I have a lot of new growth. Except you will see more waves and the waves are shiny.

Well that sounds good, but I know I can definitely not get a fine tooth comb thru this bush, ha ha.

Trinity1

Grease your scalp with coconut oil! I did this when I was 8 weeks post relaxer and it gave me a nice slick ponytail/bun. Dont put any on the hair just grease the scalp and it will make your hair lay down something nice :)

Also on top of that when creating my ponytail I use pantene daily oil cream on top of that to get it extra slick.

TeeTee2

ccd

ITA with above advice...only to add L'oreal's Absolute Wet Gel really works, my edges look fantastic, wet looking with no greasy or tacky feeling.....highly rec this one...I am about 15 weeks post now so this is workin'

PaperDoll

~the original~
Get yourself a jar of this pronto.
I love it.
It lays the hair down like a perm would lol
Gives great shine and smell s decent too

ccd

PaperDoll said:
Get yourself a jar of this pronto.
I love it.
It lays the hair down like a perm would lol
Gives great shine and smell s decent too

how much of that do you use....I have it and it is great but it (meaning using it to lay down the edges.....)doesnt last that long for me....it very nice though... has a soft hold IMHO

Last edited:

Yas

caligirl said:
Well that sounds good, but I know I can definitely not get a fine tooth comb thru this bush, ha ha.

Oh no let me explain the fine tooth comb. I comb my hair in a pony tail with a very wide tooth comb. Once it's in the pony tail, I slick/comb the top layer with the fine comb. I hope that helps.

PaperDoll

~the original~
ccd said:
how much of that do you use....I have it and it is great but it (meaning using it to lay down the edges.....)doesnt last that long for me....it very nice though... has a soft hold IMHO

Eh, it's hard to say, Not too little but not a lot either. Um anywhere from maybe like a 1/2 to a full tablespoon? I found out the hard way if you use too much it 'melts' on you and you end up kind of greasy.

Just enough to lay my edges down straight, then whatever's left I rub on my palms evenly and smooth the entire length of my hair, gather it into a ponytail and put a scarf on for a little while. It holds a little better if you dampen the edges first, for me anyway.

SilkyandSmooth

I use a combo of products and a silk scarf. Elasta QP Mango Butter goes on first and then it's Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel. I'll then put on a silk scarf and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Great shine and definition.

ccd

PaperDoll said:
Eh, it's hard to say, Not too little but not a lot either. Um anywhere from maybe like a 1/2 to a full tablespoon? I found out the hard way if you use too much it 'melts' on you and you end up kind of greasy.

Just enough to lay my edges down straight, then whatever's left I rub on my palms evenly and smooth the entire length of my hair, gather it into a ponytail and put a scarf on for a little while. It holds a little better if you dampen the edges first, for me anyway.

Thanks...yeah when I try to use alot it gets all over my hands, very sticky

Last edited: