SL 2015

a really good color shampoo is the aveda line. they have for black, brown, red and blonde.
Now I just use henna. I agree with the point Dark Joy mentioned about the temple hairs, they can be resistant but if the hair and skin are completely free of product, the hairs there uptake the color better. Also, inbetween color, try using rosemary tea. Freshly dried seems to work the best. Rosemary is known for darkening hair.

Really? It does the same thing? Where did you get the color shampoo? I will definitely try it.

I found the trick with this color shampoo. I have to wash twice with it. Definitely will try the Aveda after I use this up. Even though it took better this time, I probably get 95% coverage versus 100%. But I'm happy with that.

My hair looked great yesterday. I slept on a satin pillow case without a bonnet. It was too hot. And then I went cycling for about 13 miles with a helmet. Then it started raining and I didn't have an umbrella. So my curls were a little crazy :lol: I did not feel like putting in perm rods so I just put in flat twists. I will wash again tomorrow or Tuesday. My head looks raggedy but whatever. I'm don't feel like being bothered.

Really? It does the same thing? Where did you get the color shampoo? I will definitely try it.

I found the trick with this color shampoo. I have to wash twice with it. Definitely will try the Aveda after I use this up. Even though it took better this time, I probably get 95% coverage versus 100%. But I'm happy with that.

Yes, I've used the shampoo and the condish
The brownish one
http://www.aveda.com/products/search/esearch.tmpl?search=clover
And the reddish one
http://www.aveda.com/products/search/esearch.tmpl?search=madder+root

And it lasts awhile too if you only use it 1x/wk

Yes, I've used the shampoo and the condish
The brownish one
http://www.aveda.com/products/search/esearch.tmpl?search=clover
And the reddish one
http://www.aveda.com/products/search/esearch.tmpl?search=madder+root

And it lasts awhile too if you only use it 1x/wk

Thanks. I'm reading the reviews and the ladies are saying it doesn't cover grays. Are you saying that you were able to cover grays with this? As it reads this product is to highlight a current hair color but not to deposit color.

I'm trying to locate all of the challenges I signed up for.
My hyperlinks in my siggy seem to no longer work on my phone after the upgrade.

Anywho~
Friday night I did the Shea moisture black dye job.

Absolutely love it!
This is my first time doing permanent colour, and so far soo good.

After color and blowdry I trimmed.
4/10/15 marked 6 months post BigChop#3

Below is a pic from the day of my Bc# 3 and yesterday * sorry for the large pic*

PhotoGrid_1429470615624_zps133qgcoo.jpg

Last edited:

Anywho~

Absolutely love it!

Below is a pic from the day of my Bc# 3 and yesterday * sorry for the large pic*

PhotoGrid_1429470615624_zps133qgcoo.jpg
Looks like you've had amazing growth and retention for 6 months. :congrats:

Anywho~

Absolutely love it!

Wow thats amazing growth. I'm thinking about texlaxing but the damage I currently have is making it a risky options meaning I may have to BC or cut really short after... Do you protective style with wigs/extensions? If I could get that growth in 6/7 months I'd be so happy.

@xxlalaxx
This big chop I've sworn off wigs (so far) and I can't do braid extensions or sew ins because my scalp can't take it.

I've been wearing my hair in pinned up stretched styles. I also do faux buns (fave).

Washing once every 1 wk- 10 days, scalp massages, inversion sessions monthly and taking my vitamins.

Today in my usual faux bun protective style. Ends are pinned & tucked away. Bobraz hair used to form the bun.

Sorry these pics are soo HUGE* I do not know how to load pictures like before the forum update as an attachment.****

Today's faux bun protective style:

Last edited:
@xxlalaxx
This big chop I've sworn off wigs (so far) and I can't do braid extensions or sew ins because my scalp can't take it.

I've been wearing my hair in pinned up stretched styles. I also do faux buns (fave).

Washing once every 1 wk- 10 days, scalp massages, inversion sessions monthly and taking my vitamins.

Today in my usual faux bun protective style. Ends are pinned & tucked away. Bobraz hair used to form the bun.

Yes, you have had some excellent growth. I'm so jealous. :burnup:

Thanks ladies :cupidarrow:

@pelohello at Big chop I had 1.5 inches of hair.
Now I'm at 5 inches most sections a little over 5 in some.

I had to trim more than I would have liked within these 6 months.. but I was trying to experiment with no heat styles and my ends disagreed.

I've accepted that I have to tension blowdry with every wash or my ends suffer.

Thanks ladies :cupidarrow:

@pelohello at Big chop I had 1.5 inches of hair.
Now I'm at 5 inches most sections a little over 5 in some.

I had to trim more than I would have liked within these 6 months.. but I was trying to experiment with no heat styles and my ends disagreed.

I've accepted that I have to tension blowdry with every wash or my ends suffer.

Ok so is that puff in the first picture not all yours? Cuz that is more than 5" of hair.

Please tell me how it worked for you! I would like to try a brown one.

@xxlalaxx

Sorry these pics are soo HUGE* I do not know how to load pictures like before the forum update as an attachment.****

Today's faux bun protective style:
Ok this is cute! Do you take it down at night? Do you leave it like this for a week? Is this hair expensive? Is this braiding hair? I'm transitioning and looking for some ideas that don't require too much manipulation and time.

Please tell me how it worked for you! I would like to try a brown one.

I'm not sure I'm going to try it. I need to hear back from WenBev. Based on the reviews on the site, they say it doesn't cover grays. They are saying it just gives more vibrance to their current color. I'm going to need to get a sample first. When I get a chance I will check out Ulta to see if they have any samples.

Operation length check failed. Just couldn't finish flat ironing my hair, and my roots were reverting. I am pre pooing right now with some oil. I fingered detangle and braided my hair in sections. I hope this helps with washing and conditioning.

I'm not sure I'm going to try it. I need to hear back from WenBev. Based on the reviews on the site, they say it doesn't cover grays. They are saying it just gives more vibrance to their current color. I'm going to need to get a sample first. When I get a chance I will check out Ulta to see if they have any samples.
I know I am going to come off very vain, but I have two grey hairs. The second one popped up the day after my birthday out of nowhere! I kid you not! It's right dead smack in the front. Also I haven't touched color since last year. But my hair is looking dull. I don't like my natural hair color. I wonder do you DC before or after color shampoos? I used one when I was blonde years ago and I used the matching conditioner.

Thanks @shortdub78!
I had it from an install from years ago (that I took out after 2 weeks.. sew ins and I do not work well lol). I don't know how much that hair runs anymore. It was pricey back in 2010.. but now with all the options out here, who knows.

It matches my blowdried hair really well though.

I just cut the hair off the track, dyed it to match my hair, added an elastic band to it (to wrap around my hair and then pinned it down.

My hair is pineappled or in big flat-twists every night for bed.

Last edited:
I know I am going to come off very vain, but I have two grey hairs. The second one popped up the day after my birthday out of nowhere! I kid you not! It's right dead smack in the front. Also I haven't touched color since last year. But my hair is looking dull. I don't like my natural hair color. I wonder do you DC before or after color shampoos? I used one when I was blonde years ago and I used the matching conditioner.

Well since you don't have any grays, this product sounds like it will work for you. The purpose is to brighten the hair which may give you what you want without the color. If you just have a few gray hairs I would use a color stick or just put color on the 2 hairs. I wouldn't color my entire head.

I don't like my natural hair color either. It is a mousy, sandy brown.

I DC after the color shampoo because it is still harsh like a shampoo.

Thanks. I'm reading the reviews and the ladies are saying it doesn't cover grays. Are you saying that you were able to cover grays with this? As it reads this product is to highlight a current hair color but not to deposit color.

@faithVA Yes, I was able to cover my grey hair new growth with it. I also used tea to stain my hair under the conditioner. My grey hairs are very porous and uptakes color very well as long as my hair is free from buildup. I also didnt use oils in that patch of hair. Its about a half dollar patch in the very front of my hair. I'd definitely check to see if there are samples.

but in the end, I found that henna brewed with rosemary or dark teas is cheaper and the coverage is longer lasting. And natural. I also used sage, walnut shells and amla. Did not like the amla; I think it was the cause of the crazy shedding.

I bought directly from an Aveda store

@faithVA Yes, I was able to cover my grey hair new growth with it. I also used tea to stain my hair under the conditioner. My grey hairs are very porous and uptakes color very well as long as my hair is free from buildup. I also didnt use oils in that patch of hair. Its about a half dollar patch in the very front of my hair. I'd definitely check to see if there are samples.

Thanks. hmm, My hair is definitely not porous at all which I think may be part of my problem. I will check for samples. I have a feeling this won't work for me :sad:

With this great weather I'm going to keep my hair days simple. I've actually been simplifying for a while now, since MHM only has 2 or 3 steps. Tonight I decided to really keep it simple. I washed twice with the Mud Puddle wash. Then I used the Natural Oasis balm as my conditioner and baggied for a few minutes. I twisted with Camille Rose Aloe whip and put flat twist in the back and a few 2 strand twists in the front. My scalp feels so much better.

I'm wishing for a growth spurt :pray: But at least I notice some growth and retention while twisting my hair and the thin spots at my edges are filling in nicely.

I checked on the Shea Moisture color and I found that I can buy it directly from their site. It also says that Sally's now carries it. So I'm going to check that out. Maybe Sally's will have a coupon in the next week or two. They used to mail coupons regularly but they seem to have cut that back. I think they may start putting themselves out of business.

I like that the color shampoo helps me between colors but I think the shampoo is way too drying for my scalp. Last week was the first time in a year that I have had dry itchy scalp. I may have to look into semi permanent colors to fill in between the permanent color.

Back