Skip the protein step for virgin relaxer?

Aubergold

I will be putting a relaxer on my virgin hair pretty soon. It is true that for a virgin relaxer, you should skip the mid protein reconstructer step.
I was going to saturate my hair with motions silk proteins conditioner, relax, aphogee two minute keratin, neutralize, shampoo, put in a semipermanent rinse then ors replenishing pack.

Should I skip the aphogee and condition with a more moisturizing conditioner afterwards as my natural hair might not need the reconstructing?

thanks guys, I wanna make sure I do this right!

LocksOfLuV

Not a virgin relaxer or nothing, but it sounds like you got a lot of protein going, which is good, but you don't want to overload. I mean, you got the protein pre-relaxing base, a mild protein, and ORS which has a smudge of protein. I personally think you would be cool leaving that protein-neutr. step out.

From what I understand (someone please chime in and correct me if i am wrong) it is only to help bring the PH down, it won't make your hair any stronger or anything. I think you can simply do that by rinsing like hell, and neutralizing like hell.

Plus my hair didn't like that step...:look: :lol:

If anyone got anything that can contradict what I said, PLEASE chime in. I want RIG's relaxer to go perfect.

ayoung

i just want to say that i got a virgin relaxer last spring and i beleive that ur hair will need MOISTURE! mine did.

i don't know about all those steps in a relaxer b/c i get mine done at the salon--but i would do a mega moisturizing deep condition after ur done w/ all the relaxing stuff----and then be on ur hair game and make sure u keep it VERY moisturized and DC at least once a week w/ a moist. conditoner--that has been my experience.

Radianthealth

I think the protein helps me to texlax. I think it weakens the relaxer to make sure that it doesn't process fully or overprocess.

In any event good luck and I can't wait to see photos.

How long were you natural?

Your hair looks really full and thick.

Aubergold

ayoung1981 said:
i just want to say that i got a virgin relaxer last spring and i beleive that ur hair will need MOISTURE! mine did.

i don't know about all those steps in a relaxer b/c i get mine done at the salon--but i would do a mega moisturizing deep condition after ur done w/ all the relaxing stuff----and then be on ur hair game and make sure u keep it VERY moisturized and DC at least once a week w/ a moist. conditoner--that has been my experience.

thanks sweetie! I am def taking this to heart. I know this girl that relaxed after a few years natural and at first her hair was nice and slowly as the months went by, her hair got shorter and shorter, seeming to disenegrate. Now she is ear-length when she started from shoulder length. I am scared to death of this.

MuslimahTresses

I just relaxed a friends virgin hair today. I meant to come here first and get tips but I was in a rush. So I used Mizani for fine/color treated hair. I got her pretty straight but not bone straight. She rinsed the relaxer out really well, then I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstructor for 5 minutes, next she rinsed and nutralized. She let it sit for a few minutes undistrubed, then rinsed and did it again 2 mor times to be sure because Motions does'nt have a color alert in their neutralizing shampoo. So after that I used Mane & Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner and rinsed it out. To me it felt a little stiff. Like just a little stiff to the touch. I am so not use to relaxing or even handling other peoples hair so I don't kow how every bodys hair supose to fell especially some hair that was just natural. So I asked her how does she think her hair feels and she said it feels really soft and it usually doesnt feel like that after a relaxer. So I thought OK. She knows her hair better than I do. I sprayed some Optimum Leave In on her hair and wraped it. I told her later that if her hair feels too hard or crunchy or stiff something like that, that she may have too much protien in it. I didn't know how much protien her hair could take but I know Aphogee 2 min is not that strong so that's why I chose that one. I use myself 1x a week. So anyway I told her to use CON with the purple label if she needed to because I know that is really moisturizing.

So after saying all that. I must say I am really really nervos about the relaxer results. I asked her before we did it if she was sure and I made sure I did her hair like I do mines but I'm scared I may have messed up with the moisturizing conditioner i chosse I think I should have just went for the CON instead of the Mane & Tail.

Please share your suggestions and thoughts. Thanks in advance.