Adding protein to lye relaxer Causes hair to REVERT

TaiMatias

I just switched to a lye relaxer from phyto index II and my first try I under processed. I used alter ego linage lye and I was wondering since I heard that protein too soon after a lye relaxer causes hair to revert. Also if you can you put protein in after you rinse out the lye relaxer but before you neutralize and if so what protein is Aphogee 2 step to strong of a protein do I need to use a lighter one. I really liked my results when I was incorporating these two step when I was still using phyto and need help figuring how to approach this with lye. I've read sistaslicks article but they do not mention the different effects the mid relaxer protein step and adding to the relaxer in lye and no-lye

Honey Bee

I'm curious about this too, in light of the success I've had mixing Aphogee 2 step* with my no-lye perm.

ETA:* Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, not the 2 step!

Last edited:

sqzbly1908

I have not heard of adding Aphogee 2 step to the relaxer, however, I do add Keratin and Silk Amino Acids to my relaxers. With regard to after rinsing a relaxer I would not recommend using Aphogee 2 step - the Aphogee 2 minute would be more ideal. The 2 step would be too strong and will possibly sting tha' heck out of your hair. The 2 step should be used around a week after relaxing

CDiddy614

So let me clear this up...I used the Aphogee 2-Step like 4 days before relaxing ...should I use it again a week after relaxing??? Or is that a bit much???... I used the Mizani Butter Blends mild. I do have the 2 min, would that be better to use this first wash after relaxing?

taz007

Adding the Aphogee 2 minute to a relaxer should be fine. However, I would not add the two-step to a relaxer nor use it as a midstep.

I add EVOO and SAA to my Phyto II relaxer. I use Joico K-Pak reconstructor with added ceramides as a midstep to counteract the dryness.

TaiMatias

Adding the Aphogee 2 minute to a relaxer should be fine. However, I would not add the two-step to a relaxer nor use it as a midstep.

I add EVOO and SAA to my Phyto II relaxer. I use Joico K-Pak reconstructor with added ceramides as a midstep to counteract the dryness.

Why add the two minute instead of the two step to the relaxer will it lessen the effects of the sodium hydroxide I thought the two step would be better since it has keratin in it i believe also where do you get you silk amino acids from, what do they do, and how much does it cost? tia:grin:

RedVelvet310

I heard the same thing :yep: ... a long time ago that with Lye Relaxers it's best to wait about a week AFTER relaxing to apply any protein in the hair.. I forget where I heard it, it could've been SistaSlick's old articles.... but i DEF. remember hearing something like that... why not add oil to cut on on the breakdown time?

Honey Bee

Oooooh, yall, I am so sorry for mucking this up with my "2 step" slip up. I meant the 2 min reconstructor. Everybody here is right, the 2 step would be too strong, but, aside from that, I was just reading the bottle, and unless I missed something (entirely possible, lol), it doesn't contain hydrolyzed keratin (which, to me, is the whole point of adding it during a relaxer).

Thank you to the people who corrected me, cuz I would hate for a tragedy to have occurred. :cry3:

Also, I just bought some SAA from lotioncrafters.com too. Not sure what to do with it yet, but it's on the way, lol.