Shoulder-length to bra-strap..how long did it take you?

Nanyanika

I'm currently at shoulder-length hoping to get to bra-strap FAST...my regimen consists of the bun with baggie method, low manipulation i wash hair every 10-14 days, combing hair in shower only, performing henna treatments and taking vitamins. Please tell me..what regimens and/or techniques helped you achieve bra-strap length hair? how long did it take? please state your height..i'm 4,9 waistlength is 27-28inches. thanks in advance

remnant

den1 said:
I'm currently at shoulder-length hoping to get to bra-strap FAST...my regimen consists of the bun with baggie method, low manipulation i wash hair every 10-14 days, combing hair in shower only, performing henna treatments and taking vitamins. Please tell me..what regimens and/or techniques helped you achieve bra-strap length hair? how long did it take? please state your height..i'm 4,9 waistlength is 27-28inches. thanks in advance

Den1 YOU help me with your regimen to reach almost brastrap with your crown and glory interpretation from september 2005 til now (see my siggy) I have of course made some little changes but you are my inspiration!
height: 1m 65

LizLeila

I wore braids (pencil sized), used a combination of Surge (2x daily) and WGHO (at night) every day. I also was on top of taking my vitamins. I would say it took me about 6-8 months. Some months I got an inch of new growth, some months I did not. I was not really paying attention to my diet then, so I am not sure if that factored.

InnerSoul

yes, I want to know this myself.. the back of my hair is shoulder length and the sides are under my chin. So I want to see how long it took everyone to go from shoulder to brastrap!!

Nanyanika

soun said:
Den1 YOU help me with your regimen to reach almost brastrap with your crown and glory interpretation from september 2005 til now (see my siggy) I have of course made some little changes but you are my inspiration!
height: 1m 65
Hello soun, I'm very pleased that youe were able to achive so much with c and g, i followed this method when natural and texturized and accomplished a lot of length, however i had to cut away so much damage over the years due to stylists and Affirm relaxer. Since being relaed i haven't tried braids in six months and i'm also on a budget. Thank-you for seeing me as an inspiration.

Nanyanika

LizLeila said:
I wore braids (pencil sized), used a combination of Surge (2x daily) and WGHO (at night) every day. I also was on top of taking my vitamins. I would say it took me about 6-8 months. Some months I got an inch of new growth, some months I did not. I was not really paying attention to my diet then, so I am not sure if that factored.
Wow that's really encouraging how you managed to reach bra-strap in so little time, I belive that protective stylying and especially your diet at the time may be contributed to all this growth you had. I've revised my vitamin regimen and trying to work out a good diet to work with for health too. what was your diet like at the time you achived the length?

Nanyanika

InnerSoul said:
yes, I want to know this myself.. the back of my hair is shoulder length and the sides are under my chin. So I want to see how long it took everyone to go from shoulder to brastrap!!
ME TOO!!!!!I'm excited i can't wait to read all the responses, as it will help me and others perfect a regimen for consistent healthy growth. I've reached waistlength twice before after cutting so i know i can do it again.

InnerSoul

den1 said:
ME TOO!!!!!I'm excited i can't wait to read all the responses, as it will help me and others perfect a regimen for consistent healthy growth. I've reached waistlength twice before after cutting so i know i can do it again.

see.. if u did it twice.. u can do it again!! If I can atleast get past the shoulder length then I will feel successful!! I have already learned how to get my hair in good condition.. now the length needs to come!!:look:

Nanyanika

InnerSoul said:
see.. if u did it twice.. u can do it again!! If I can atleast get past the shoulder length then I will feel successful!! I have already learned how to get my hair in good condition.. now the length needs to come!!:look:
Your right...sometimes i worry because i don't want anymore setbacks, my hair is giving me a good time since i cut it and i want to keep it that way.

LizLeila

den1 said:
Wow that's really encouraging how you managed to reach bra-strap in so little time, I belive that protective stylying and especially your diet at the time may be contributed to all this growth you had. I've revised my vitamin regimen and trying to work out a good diet to work with for health too. what was your diet like at the time you achived the length?

It felt like a long time then because I wanted my hair to be a certain length by the time I graduated. Starting, my hair was longer than the top of my shoulders but had not yet reached my armpits. The braids were really for convenience at the time and helped me to not manipulate my hair. I was working on a degree at the time, so my funds were very low. I didnt have any money for junkfood or eating out so I didnt really eat it. I remember eating a lot of salads (lettuce is cheap) with things like tuna or chicken. I would buy can goods (salmon, sardines, tuna, red beans) and big bags of rice. I wasnt advanced enough at the time to be eating for my hair, but was just trying to find the cheapest thing at the time. When I took my braids out for graduation, I was at the top of bra strap. I really think my being consistent on vitamins really helped me too. I was on a vitamin system called Head start which was really good.

Nanyanika

LizLeila said:
It felt like a long time then because I wanted my hair to be a certain length by the time I graduated. Starting, my hair was longer than the top of my shoulders but had not yet reached my armpits. The braids were really for convenience at the time and helped me to not manipulate my hair. I was working on a degree at the time, so my funds were very low. I didnt have any money for junkfood or eating out so I didnt really eat it. I remember eating a lot of salads (lettuce is cheap) with things like tuna or chicken. I would buy can goods (salmon, sardines, tuna, red beans) and big bags of rice. I wasnt advanced enough at the time to be eating for my hair, but was just trying to find the cheapest thing at the time. When I took my braids out for graduation, I was at the top of bra strap. I really think my being consistent on vitamins really helped me too. I was on a vitamin system called Head start which was really good.
thanks for responding, your diet consisted of vegetables and lots of protein includues fatty acids and minerals from fish, and vitamin b from beans plus many others. Your dietary plan sounds similar to the one i was on when i achived a lot of length. I read about headstart vits, they contain amino acids and lots other vits, this is similar to what i used to take. I just restarted on protein shake, EPO, multi-minerals, bamboo silica, and vit e, i will be adding others shortly. i can't wait to achive my goals

LizLeila

den1 said:
thanks for responding, your diet consisted of vegetables and lots of protein includues fatty acids and minerals from fish, and vitamin b from beans plus many others. Your dietary plan sounds similar to the one i was on when i achived a lot of length. I read about headstart vits, they contain amino acids and lots other vits, this is similar to what i used to take. I just restarted on protein shake, EPO, multi-minerals, bamboo silica, and vit e, i will be adding others shortly. i can't wait to achive my goals

If anyone can do it, I know you can! You have been an inspiration to many, probably beyond what you know. Your hair is beautiful and so shiny whether it is shoulder length or bra strap. I look forward to seeing you accomplish your goals!

LocksOfLuV

From Nov 2005-September 2006. I would say a little less than a year. But I didn't start protective styling until April of 06. I honeslty think if I would have gotten on the ball in Nov of 05, I could have made it by Jun/July!:cool:

The Girl

LizLeila said:

girl that was a lot of grains and proteins...not to mention fiber to flush out any bad stuff. I think we are having red beans and rice for dinner tonight..:grin:

poetist

Den your hair is beautiful (as always), but I am kinda sad that you've had to cut it. I know that you said that it is because of affirm relaxer and your stylist, but do you think that it is primarily because you have a relaxer? do you think that your hair was healthier when you were natural.

Nanyanika

poetist said:
Den your hair is beautiful (as always), but I am kinda sad that you've had to cut it. I know that you said that it is because of affirm relaxer and your stylist, but do you think that it is primarily because you have a relaxer? do you think that your hair was healthier when you were natural.
I don't believe the cut resulted directly from relaxing my hair straight it was from texturizing and underprocessing by different stylists. I only started wearing straight hair since april 2005 and i still had texturizer left on my ends about 6 inches. unfortunately my ends began giving me trouble and were dry, frizzy and breaking and tangly. Before the cut i was near bra-strap, my aim was top be foinally rid of the texturizer. All the hair i have on my head is new relaxed healthy hair. Since I cut off all of my texturizer, my hair is in the best condition. My natural was very strong, but also very dry and coarse i suffered breakage on my ends, i rarely get breakage now because my hair holds moisture.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

LizLeila said:
If anyone can do it, I know you can! You have been an inspiration to many, probably beyond what you know. Your hair is beautiful and so shiny whether it is shoulder length or bra strap. I look forward to seeing you accomplish your goals!
Thank-you very much for all the encouragement