Is bra-strap length hair possible?

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
i've never had long hair but I never knew how to take care of my hair either so it always grew to a certain point and then I would cut it off because of it being dry or damaged. now since joining LHCF i've learned so much about caring for hair that I know it will happen with time

dannie

I think some people don't have to try as hard to grow their hair than others. It just takes time and patience, but it can be done.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
BlackButterflyz said:

And like DSD says, concentrate on keeping it healthy since it grows anyway (DSD you are my role model, your hair journey is most realistic to me

[/ QUOTE ]
AWWWW! Thank you!

Tene

When I was a child my hair was a little past shoulder length. I'm trying to grow my hair to bra strap length.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I had hair that was doen my back when I was a child.

I ended up cutting it shorter...not a bob or anything, but just shorter than what it was and it has never grown back.

I have been relaced since about age four I think. I just decided to scrap the relaxer to see if I see any improvement in hair growth.

My hair would gro to about shoulder length and stop......we'll see I guess

kitchen_tician

As a child-teens, I had hair about 1-2 inches past shoulders and that was my maximum length. Back in the day, I cut my hair in a slanted “Chinese bob” with a short bang, up to my nape and it grew back to my regular length in about 3 years. It always stayed 1-2 inches past shoulders due to frequent trims and me not wanting it to grow further. I always cut about 2 inches every summer.

Then about 3-4 years ago I moved and couldn’t find a salon so I stopped going to stylists and getting trims and my hair’s length was surprising. It grew 3 inches past bra-strap evenly all around. Now it’s back at bra strap length due to me cutting it for my transition phase and breakage during the phase. So no, I wasn’t successful with my transition.

Anyway, bra strap and more is possible for 4A/B’s. I tend to get more growth when I stay away from the salons and the scissor happy trimmers.

TigerLily

I think it's possible. In my teens, I was 2-3 inch. from bra strap. I started going to anybody and everybody to do my hair and it started to thin and break. Now, it's growing and if it almost reached bra strap once, I'm confident that it'll do it again!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Has anyone that has 4a/b hair and wears a relaxer has hair that is bra-strap length now, but has never had hair that long before?
How did you achieve this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not have bra-strap length now, but I am quite confident that I will reach my goal definitely by this time next year. As a child, I was what Jamaicans would call a "dry head pickney."
We're not talking about those kids born baldheaded that ended up with a head full of "good" hair either. My hair was (and still is, obviously) 4a/4b. I just put two baby pics in my haircare album. They are not clear, but I just wanted to give you an idea what I was working with back then. My hair never got past barely grazing my shoulder, even though we were counting on the Dax hair oil to work a miracle. When I got to junior high school, jherri curls were the "in" thing. Oh, how I longed to have "swinging" hair like some of the girls (and guys)that sported them. I saved up my money to get my first chemical hair process... a jherri curl. Much to my disappointment, it didn't "swing" right away.
Eventually it did get past shoulder length though. Let me wrap up this "novel". My current length is the longest my hair has ever been (thanks to all the wonderful advice, love and support of LHCF and BHCAB
) and I know it will get to bra-strap length as long as I remember the three Ps. Patience (nothing happens overnight), Perserverance (stick with it and follow through with this thing until I reach my goal) and Preservation (maintain the stuff that I am able to accumulate). (I know the 3Ps thing sounds genious, but it was someting I got from a member of a now defunct hairboard. It stuck with me ever since I took my hairgrowth journey seriously
) Hope this helps!

Isis

You've made great progress AJamericanDiva and your hair is so pretty! You'll be at brastrap in no time!

Wolftrap

Oh diva you give me so much hope. You are the first person that I can honestly say that I have seen that has never had long hair and you are almost at your goal. So now I believe it is possible. So I'm not going to give up hope and I'm going to keep on trying. Thanks so much for posting this. It is inspiring me to keep trying.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Miosy said:
I think it is possible. You get new growth every month so the hair is growing. I think the problem might be the breakage at the ends that prevents many of us from retaining length. I always had short hair as long as I can remember but I was always coloring, cutting, braiding, weaving, doing some crazy stuff with my hair. Whenever I stop messing around with it and left it alone, it grew. I'm right at bra strap and the only way I am reaching that goal is by taking care of my hair myself and being very gentle. Check out this album. She's from a yahoo forum but I love looking at her progress pictures. I hope she doesn't get upset
Her growth is amazing.

Foxy's my girl!
She's also a member here and posts at both boards. I'm sure she doesn't mind the album link. Here's another girlfriend who used to post at both boards. I haven't heard from her since she moved back to Jamaica

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/foxybronx/lst?.view=t&.dir=/Hair+pics

[/ QUOTE ]
Another good set of advice... try and surround yourself (or get internet support) with people who share your goal or can at least show you some love, support and encouragement. That's why I love my hair boards... I get this type of love here when people in my "real world" may not understand.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
You've made great progress AJamericanDiva and your hair is so pretty! You'll be at brastrap in no time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Isis!!! This is the type of love and encouragement I'm talking about. It makes you want to keep on keeping on!!!!!!!!!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
Oh diva you give me so much hope. You are the first person that I can honestly say that I have seen that has never had long hair and you are almost at your goal. So now I believe it is possible. So I'm not going to give up hope and I'm going to keep on trying. Thanks so much for posting this. It is inspiring me to keep trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Wolftrap... I'm such a mushball!
We are all here for you.
I'm glad I could offer you hope just as it has been given to me by countless others.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
Miosy said:
I think it is possible. You get new growth every month so the hair is growing. I think the problem might be the breakage at the ends that prevents many of us from retaining length. I always had short hair as long as I can remember but I was always coloring, cutting, braiding, weaving, doing some crazy stuff with my hair. Whenever I stop messing around with it and left it alone, it grew. I'm right at bra strap and the only way I am reaching that goal is by taking care of my hair myself and being very gentle. Check out this album. She's from a yahoo forum but I love looking at her progress pictures. I hope she doesn't get upset
Her growth is amazing.

Foxy's my girl!
She's also a member here and posts at both boards. I'm sure she doesn't mind the album link. Here's another girlfriend who used to post at both boards. I haven't heard from her since she moved back to Jamaica

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/foxybronx/lst?.view=t&.dir=/Hair+pics

[/ QUOTE ]
Another good set of advice... try and surround yourself (or get internet support) with people who share your goal or can at least show you some love, support and encouragement. That's why I love my hair boards... I get this type of love here when people in my "real world" may not understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I don't know how I goofed and got part of my reply in Miosy's box, starting with "Foxy's my girl..." Humph!

Vanessa22

YEAH AJAMERICANDIVA, your hair looks great! I can't wait to see further results of your progress. You are definitely an inspiration to many of us.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Vanessa22 said:
YEAH AJAMERICANDIVA, your hair looks great! I can't wait to see further results of your progress. You are definitely an inspiration to many of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are our biggest supporters!!! "GROW, Girls, GROW!!!"

queenofmean68

I'm hoping I can reach bra-strap. That's all I want. *whinning* But you all are right about retaining the length, sometimes I get horrible breakage on my ends. However I try not to apply to much product on my ends since I have fine hair and most products are too heavy or greasy which makes my hair look flat & nasty.

Anyone want to be my hair nurse?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
it's probably possible if u never trim and if your terminal hair length isn't above bra-strap length.

Scasey

[ QUOTE ]
RabiaElaine said:
What can extend the life of a strand of hair???

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard that shen min could. Do an internet search to find the claims that it prolongs the growth cycle.

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
It seems that most folks that have really long hair had that length as children and due to relaxers, color, heat, appliances, etc.....lost that length. And have no problems getting that length back once they stopped doing the thing that was damaging their hair.
My hair has for the most part always been past the shoulders, but never to the mid-back. And I'm hoping I can get to bra-strap by the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound just like you have the same hair I do!

MsKibibi

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Has anyone that has 4a/b hair and wears a relaxer has hair that is bra-strap length now, but has never had hair that long before?
How did you achieve this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not have bra-strap length now, but I am quite confident that I will reach my goal definitely by this time next year. As a child, I was what Jamaicans would call a "dry head pickney."
We're not talking about those kids born baldheaded that ended up with a head full of "good" hair either. My hair was (and still is, obviously) 4a/4b. I just put two baby pics in my haircare album. They are not clear, but I just wanted to give you an idea what I was working with back then. My hair never got past barely grazing my shoulder, even though we were counting on the Dax hair oil to work a miracle. When I got to junior high school, jherri curls were the "in" thing. Oh, how I longed to have "swinging" hair like some of the girls (and guys)that sported them. I saved up my money to get my first chemical hair process... a jherri curl. Much to my disappointment, it didn't "swing" right away.
Eventually it did get past shoulder length though. Let me wrap up this "novel". My current length is the longest my hair has ever been (thanks to all the wonderful advice, love and support of LHCF and BHCAB
) and I know it will get to bra-strap length as long as I remember the three Ps. Patience (nothing happens overnight), Perserverance (stick with it and follow through with this thing until I reach my goal) and Preservation (maintain the stuff that I am able to accumulate). (I know the 3Ps thing sounds genious, but it was someting I got from a member of a now defunct hairboard. It stuck with me ever since I took my hairgrowth journey seriously
) Hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister has the same 'dry head' problem. Her hair is 4a/4b and was bra strap length when relaxed. Three years ago my mom sent her to swimming classes, that were 3 days a week. This killed her hair so she decided to grow out the perm and go natural. her hair is still natural but if she decided to perm it again it was almost be bra strap again. It's all in how you care for it. I have 3c/4a hair (I have more of our moms hair, and she has more of our dads) and when my mom used to do it for me (before I transfered to a different college) it was very thick, long and healthy to my bra strap. I had to cut it b/c of the stress of school to chin length last year, and now its about 2" past my shoulder but its thinner than it used to be. I'm getting back to doing what my mom used to do.
Try not to be negative about your hair, positivity will help so much more in attaining length.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
anikalia said:
I never had bra strap hair until now and I'm 4a. I came close in 1999, but it started to break off. It seemed to take about a year to grow 3-4 inches with one trim. I think my sucess is due to wearing it up most of the time, which prevents knots and excessive manipulation. I also follow Adrienne's recommendation of only brushing the top half of hair into a ponytail/bun/twist. There's no need to comb through to the ends since it's being pulled up anyway. Deep conditioning and moisture is also very important.
Great Tip! :)

hotshot

why is childhood seen as the time of ultimate length? what if your hair wasnt properly cared for in childhood and that's why it wasnt long?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
hotshot said:
why is childhood seen as the time of ultimate length? what if your hair wasnt properly cared for in childhood and that's why it wasnt long?
I had short hair as a child until I got the curl at age 11. The reason why was the unintentional, abusive care my hair received. I was so happy to get that curl so my poor head would be left alone...sad...

Last edited: