Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

ManeStreet

Actually I need to be clearer, the smoothie is WAY better than kccc to me. It took me a few weeks and a lot of wash gos but it become clear. I luv the smoothie, I'm kicking myself for not buying more at bogo

naturalmanenyc

Thanks! I'm going to try shingling with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie product like this: http://youtu.be/g02R7n77kHQ It seems like a ton of product but I guess it lasts for a week or longer per application.

I have Kinky Curly too (had a target gift card), but I have not yet used it on my hair.

I love the smoothie. It defines my curls. I apply it using the shingling method using about 6-8 sections and making sure its applied evenly from root to tip. As I'm working it in doing the shingling method and combing it throught with my fingers or wide tooth comb my curls become super defined and it makes my hair very shiney. Maybe how its applied makes a difference. It makes my curls more defined than kinky curly custard and the smoothie makes my curls my elongated too. I apply both products the same way but the smoothie is better I think.

As for the milk, I really like it. Its very moisturizing but it doesn't offer the hold, curl elongation and curl defining like the smoothie so I use ecostyler over the hair milk and it works out really nice.

growingbrown

Thanks! I'm going to try shingling with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie product like this: http://youtu.be/g02R7n77kHQ It seems like a ton of product but I guess it lasts for a week or longer per application.

I have Kinky Curly too (had a target gift card), but I have not yet used it on my hair.

Let us know how this works out for you. I haven't tried shingling before and would like to try it. Except, I don't have a hooded dryer........

Dang, something else to buy!

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

faithVA

I don't love this product but I don't hate it either. Compared to some of the other styling products I have, I think this has a place. I don't know that I would repurchase it but I think that I can find a use for the 2 I have.

I twisted my hair with a fructis product I had. it seemed fine going on but this morning it was hard and crunchy. And when I took out the twist they didn't feel so great. So I put the smoothie on the hair and retwisted it. You can tell an immediate difference. The hair feels soft again and it got rid of that stiffness.

I have a very tight curl pattern so it does nothing for that. But in the next month or so I will try this with some gels to see if I can get a great hold. KCCC on my twists is fabulous. But I will try Alaffia's gel first.

I will use these two until they run out. In the long run though I think I will look for a product that isn't so limited in its usage.

iamtan

I loveeee this product. I use it for my wash and goes. After I condition my hair I apply the smoothie in sections follow by ecostyler. Im 3c 4a.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

naturalmanenyc

Okay, I shingled in the CES, on damp hair. Wet hair would have been too much shrinkage.

I did not love the CES shingled into my hair (it looked sort of dusty, albeit super soft), so I added some gel and now have it in a puff. It was sort of jheri curl like after adding gel. I'm hoping that stretching out the curls in the puff will stop the jheri curl look.

After the puff dried, I let it loose. Despite all the gel I added, it's still super soft.

Last edited:

fluffyforever

So far I like the CES. I used it on damp hair for twists, and it did a good job at moisturizing. I'm not sure about the curl enhancing part since my coils don't clump together anyway, but the smoothie is a great base for moisturizing my damp hair. It sucks when used on wet dripping hair though, for some odd reason. CES and wet hair made my strand hard and tangled.

I also used it today to try to add shine/smoothness/protection to my blown-out fro turned into a bun. It made my hair feel soft all day. I received lots of compliments on how soft (and not dry) my hair felt today as people invited themselves to pet me and remove my bun. It did add a bit of shine to my dull hair color and my blow-out didn't feel as dry as it was before I added the product.

Overall, I think I like it equally for damp twists and moisturizing blown-out/straightened hair. When I run out (if possible with such a big container) I would buy it again; I think I will keep this in my routine.

I'm eager to try other Shea Moisture products. I already have one of their shampoos as a staple (it is so moisturizing).

Renewed1

Ok, I finally found this product and used it on my twists. I have problems with dry ends. No matter what I do, it seems my ends will be brittle and dry. So I use the product on wet hair and twist my hair. Went to bed.

Normally, my ends will be dry when I wake up. But after using this product my ends was STILL MOISTURIZED no more dry ends. My ends didn't start to feel dry until about 7pm this evening. That's almost 24 hours of moisturized ends.

I'm keeping this product in my rotation. I was amazed how a little bit did all that for my hair. I'm super excited.

I LOVE this product. I hope Walgreens have another BOGO, I would like to try their other products.

ManeStreet

I bought the shea moisture yucca/thickening line, it has the green label. I bought the milk and the anti-breakage masque. And I LOVE them! I conditioned with the masque and a plastic cap, rinsed and followed with the milk. I twisted in prep for a twist out sealed with coconut oil. The twists are so plump, thick and shiney, they look like ropes. The twists look so good I'm going to wear them as is tomorrow and not even unravel them. I am already in love with the coconut hibiscus line (pink label) but decided to try this one too because I needed a deep conditioner. The yellow label doesn't work for my hair. The yellow label argan oil but it doesn't have coconut oil and my hair loves everything coconut and protein.

The only negative thing about the green label yucca/thickening is the scent. It isn't that tropical/coconut dessert smell. Its more of a unisex perfume smell. And the fragrence is strong. It definately caught me off guard. But if you luv the curl enhancing smoothie and know that coconut oil and protein works well for your hair, its definately a good purchase.

Last edited:

faithVA

I tried this with ecostyler gel with olive oil, because eco styler alone was leaving my hair too dry. I washed my hair then applied the leave-in masque instead of DCing, then I mixed the curl smoothie with equal parts of eco styler because my hair needs stronger hold of it.

Has anyone else mixed the Shea Moisture smoothie with a gel to get better hold? Would you share your recipe.

I have two jars to use up and I am definitely going to need more hold. I know I can add the Shea Moisture and then the gel but it would be nice to mix them together since I will probably never use the Smoothie alone.

tia

Jaffa

Wow - it sucks we cant get this over here in the UK:perplexed
Cant even get it on Amazon

Amazhaan

I used this with my overnight baggie. I applied a lot so my hair was sort of white. The next day I fluffed sprayed some of the Shea Moisture spray and my hair was fab and moisturized all day.

aquajoyice

BYTW, here are some pics of me using the product on a twist out.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57

Amoreofcurls

So how do you apply this stuff, on wet, damp, or dry hair????

I used it on damp hair, under Eco Style Argan oil, it left my hair pretty soft, but flaked on me like a motha fugggg....Iono if it was the gel because I think the argan oil has flaked on me before...but it could of been the combo...

Ima try it again as a leave in alone...

nicole625

When I tried this product, it left a waxy feeling in my hair. I tried it on 3 strand twistouts and they came out better than ever!! after reading everyone's experiences, I suspect that I used too much of it on my hair. Im going to keep trying different methods with it and see what happens.

greenandchic

so, when's the next BOGO?

When someone on their Facebook page asked if there will be another BOGO, SM said they were not sure due to the fact that they took a loss on this last BOGO. My vote is never. If anything, it may be a BOGO at 50% off or something like that...

So how do you apply this stuff, on wet, damp, or dry hair????

I used it on damp hair, under Eco Style Argan oil, it left my hair pretty soft, but flaked on me like a motha fugggg....Iono if it was the gel because I think the argan oil has flaked on me before...but it could of been the combo...

Ima try it again as a leave in alone...

I have a hard time using it with gels too, though I had better experience using it with Ecostyler Blue (the lighter hold). Overall, I tend to shy away from using gels with it.

faithVA

This weekend I applied my kimmay tube modified leave-in, applied the Shea Moisure Smoothie to 4 sections. I applied the Eco Styler olive oil gel to only my front twists. My hair still feels soft and moisturized and no flaking.

I am currently experimenting with mixing the Smoothie, eco styler and some AVG. Last night I tried 4 TBSP Smoothie and 1 TSBP eco styler gel on 2 twists. Still soft and a better hold but it needs just a bit more moisture to allow me to separate the twists a bit further. No flaking.

Tonight I will add 2 tsp of eco styler and 1 or 2 tsp of AVG and apply to 2 separate twists. Hopefully it will have more hold and moisture.

NikkiQ

I still haven't tried any of mine. Maybe I'll use it when I ATTEMPT to do flat twists again this weekend.

lilyofthenile

Anyone use it? Yes i do use it, I use it for twists/braids etc or on top of my leave ins.
Do you like it? Hate it? I love it!! It's my staple!!
Does it moisturize well? Yes it does!! Especially if I use water on my hair first.
Define well? It doesn't really define =/
What does it smell of? Hard to describe but it's quite pleasant!

I live in the UK but I got the SM CES through a friend of mine who purchased it for me and mailed it to me. I'm also planning to go to the U.S. this summer and I am definitely thinking of stocking it up because it's part of my staple. That's pretty much the only way you can get it, no one in the UK sells it here but SM are thinking of that.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I has hold, and a little goes a long way.
I will not repurchase because it wasn't moisturizing enough for me (my hair felt dry after a few days) and left filmy residue on my hair (you could feel the residue more than you could see it).

But it is a lot of product for the price - heck if i get broke again, I might purchase it. it lasts a looooooooooooong time.

Same result for me...it just kinda sat on top of my hair...:yep:

Kurlee

When someone on their Facebook page asked if there will be another BOGO, SM said they were not sure due to the fact that they took a loss on this last BOGO. My vote is never. If anything, it may be a BOGO at 50% off or something like that...
:cry: :cry:

ellebelle88

This weekend I applied my kimmay tube modified leave-in, applied the Shea Moisure Smoothie to 4 sections. I applied the Eco Styler olive oil gel to only my front twists. My hair still feels soft and moisturized and no flaking.

I am currently experimenting with mixing the Smoothie, eco styler and some AVG. Last night I tried 4 TBSP Smoothie and 1 TSBP eco styler gel on 2 twists. Still soft and a better hold but it needs just a bit more moisture to allow me to separate the twists a bit further. No flaking.

Tonight I will add 2 tsp of eco styler and 1 or 2 tsp of AVG and apply to 2 separate twists. Hopefully it will have more hold and moisture.

faithVA May I ask what does your modified kimmay-tube leave-in consist of?

faithVA

[USER=8176 said:
ellebelle88[/USER];16202789]@faithVA May I ask what does your modified kimmay-tube leave-in consist of?

Girl I have nooo clue :look: I had to go look to see where you pulled that from :lol: Whatever it was I don't use it anymore. It must not have worked out for me.