Shea Butter Anyone?

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I was just wondering If any relaxed ladies use shea butter in your hair? If so what kind? Palmers, unrefined, ect... Do you melt it. How often do you use it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ladylibra_30

hi:

there's a leave-in that i am going to try. it's called sheamoisture shea butter leave-in. it's supposed to be really good.

Cinnabuns

I used to put Jason Shea Butter on my ends (I NEVER put anything on my scalp)and I have to admit that they felt really strong after a few days...hmm I just might go back to it too. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pookeylou

I wash my hair with shea butter.
I twist my hair with shea butter.
I just found a Suauve Body Wash with Shea butter.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE SHEA BUTTER.

It makes my hair supper soft.

I have a pic in my hair album of some shea butter that I got from a local African Market. I got it home and mixed it with Lavendar oil and Rosemary Hairl oil. I whipped it up nice and smooth and then put it in smaller individual tubs. I have to check my album to see...but I think I did this in May, and I just ran out of the FIRST TUB and I use it every day. A little goes a long way. I believe it has UV protective qualities too. I cannot get enough of it.

SUPER SWEET

Congrats Brownstallion /images/graemlins/dance7.gif

I tried shea butter but it was too heavy for my hair.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Pookeylou! What type of shea butter is it? pure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! Not refined. It was a creamy yellow and even had brown flecks in it. I dont mind if it is refined or not. I get the same results...soft hair.

I had a shampoo bar made with shea butter, honey, coconut milk, rosemary oil, lime oil. My hair loves it. I dont even need conditioner afterwards. I am actually learning how to make this myself.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks ladylibra where did you see this product?

[/ QUOTE ]

congrats on your engagement /images/graemlins/clap.gif

B

ballet_bun

I use unrefinded sheabutter on my ends. Sometimes I mix it with jojoba oil or other oils.

renee_n_3000

I get my pure, unrefined shea butter from an African merchant, but have also ordered it online in the past. I've been experimenting with using it on my hair for years, but still haven't found the right way to do that because it always leaves a film on my hair and dulls its natural shine.

It was too heavy when I tried to use it after washing my hair. So I've tried mixed it with different single oils and combinations of oils, such as olive and almond, and heated it as a pre-shampoo treatment. But after washing it out and conditioning, I am left with that dulling film on my hair and a weighed down feeling. I get the same results with just using olive oil, though, so I usually stick to light oils like almond and jojoba. I just don't think my hair can handle heavy substances, even though they are supposed to be wonderful. Every few months, I get the urge to try the shea butter again and get the same disappointing results.

I hope you have better luck than I've had if you try it. If anyone else has any tips to share regarding using unrefined shea butter, I'd love to learn them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif