Naturals (Especially 4a) That Use Shea Butter

Blacktresses

Which shea butter do you prefer?
Refined shea butter
Unrefined shea butter

Does anyone one know the difference in which each product makes your hair feel ?

How do you apply it ?

Do you apply it to wet or dry hair?

Do you mix it with other products with mostly shea butter ?

Last edited:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I use unrefined. I haven't noticed much difference, I just prefer the unrefined kind. I usually apply it when my hair is dry after I've spritzed it a bit. I also mix it with other products to make hair butters. But I know a lot of ppl use it differently.

jainygirl

Hey :wave:. I'm 4b but i just thought i'd go ahead and reply anyway. I use unrefined shea butter. It and SSF are the only two products i use anymore. Shea butter softens my hair immediately. I apply it to my hair when it's damp-- not wet and i apply it to dry hair. Both give good results but i like it more on hair that's already dry. I havent mixed it with anything else but i do plan to try out the Shealoe recipe someone posted on NP. It's equal parts unrefined shea butter and aloe. It's supposed to be really good so i'm gonna try that soon. HTH -- jainygirl

Last edited:

jainygirl

nurseN98 said:
OFF TOPIC:
Jainygirl, your cornrows are cute!

Thank you :)!! I finally got enough hair to attempt cornrows :lol:. I'm having fun just trying new stuff. I just saw your new puff pic, BEAUTIFUL!!! -- jainygirl

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
What does everyone's shea butter smell like?? I have unrefined and I was just wondering if they all smell different.

jainygirl

My shea butter is brown and has a nutty smell.

RushGirl said:
What does everyone's shea butter smell like?? I have unrefined and I was just wondering if they all smell different.

hungry4info

I use the Lekair Cholesterol Natural Shea Butter cholesterol creme. I enjoy it! I've never used any other shea butter because this works for me. I use the LeKair cholesterol for deep conditioning. I used to use it when I had a perm and it worked wonders. BTW, I'm new to "this" site! Why didn't anyone of my napptural sisters fill me in?! :cool: Just kidding, I haven't had much time to surf the net or do much of anything on the computer. But it appears that time is on my side now.

ChocoKitty

nurseN98 said:
OFF TOPIC:
Jainygirl, your cornrows are cute!
ITA! :grin:

I used unrefined. It melts in your hand and you don't have to use much. It's has a "natural" smell. I don't how else to describe it...:look:

Refined is usually extracted using chemicals which depletes shea of some it's good properties. That why some shea butters sold in stores are mixed things like wax, cocoa butter,frangrances and etc to make up for the properties the were lost.

MeccaMedinah

hungry4info said:
I use the Lekair Cholesterol Natural Shea Butter cholesterol creme. I enjoy it! I've never used any other shea butter because this works for me. I use the LeKair cholesterol for deep conditioning. I used to use it when I had a perm and it worked wonders. BTW, I'm new to "this" site! Why didn't anyone of my napptural sisters fill me in?! :cool: Just kidding, I haven't had much time to surf the net or do much of anything on the computer. But it appears that time is on my side now.

Welcome!! And to answer your question, most of them consider this a "permie site". But, I'll tell you LHCF was the first hair site I've ever seen & the reason that I decided to natural!!

To answer the OP question, I used refined last year and wasn't crazy about it. I'll be buying some unrefined very soon.

hungry4info

MeccaMedinah said:
Welcome!! And to answer your question, most of them consider this a "permie site". But, I'll tell you LHCF was the first hair site I've ever seen & the reason that I decided to natural!!

To answer the OP question, I used refined last year and wasn't crazy about it. I'll be buying some unrefined very soon.

Thanks MeccaMedinah! :p Like you, I want to be natural, but I can
still have an open mind, and learn from everyone. Besides, being natural doesn't mean there's something wrong with having a perm...I had one for the longest. My daughter has gorgeous hair, and it's permed, and the ladies on this site have some beautiful hair! :bouncy: Natural is a personal decision for me.

I have already picked up some very helpful and valuable information here! I'm all excited! :lol:

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
jainygirl said:
My shea butter is brown and has a nutty smell.

Mine isn't brown..it's like cream colored.. but I guess it has a 'natural' kinda smell..i just don't like it.. I think it smells gross.. but that's my opinion..:lol: I just need to start making concoctions so that I can add other stuff to it..

Thanks!

Blacktresses

LADIES.....:)

Keep the responses comming....

Also, where do youfine unrefine shea butter ? I live in Chicago so...I know some health food stores BUT...I haven't been able to find it. I purchase fnwl, but, I have the feeling that the site only has refined shea butter.

HELP !!!

Are there any online stores that sells unrefined shea butter :ohwell:

balisi

I bought my shea butter at a hair show, but I plan to purchase my next supply online from www.agbangakarite.com. This is a great site, if only to learn all you ever wanted to know about shea butter. They provide pure, unrefined shea butter (recommended).

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I get mines from www.afrikanrepublic.com But I've been on the agbangakarite.com site too and they look like they have good product as well. The one I use (from Togo) has a kind of greenish tinge to it and it smells sweet and nutty (it's hard to describe exactly) I like the smell but I know I've run across unrefined shea butter that smells awful.

Divastate

I bought mine from www.natureswildchild.com and I tried 2 types- one has a nice smell that fades quickly the other stinks and I won't be using it again.

Refined shea butter did nothing for me but the unrefined works great on my damp hair. I mix it with a little virgin coconut oil for soft moisturized hair.

hungry4info: welcome :wave: I remember you from napp as well- you and your hair are so pretty :)

hungry4info

Divastate said:
I bought mine from www.natureswildchild.com and I tried 2 types- one has a nice smell that fades quickly the other stinks and I won't be using it again.

Refined shea butter did nothing for me but the unrefined works great on my damp hair. I mix it with a little virgin coconut oil for soft moisturized hair.

hungry4info: welcome :wave: I remember you from napp as well- you and your hair are so pretty :)

Thanks Divastate! :p I remember you too :thumbsup:
-you and your hair are gorgeous! You are truly one of my inspirations! :bouncy:

MeccaMedinah

Just wanted to add that I used some shea butter last night and my hair is very happy today. I used the NOW brand- it says unrefined RAW- It has lavender & lemon EO's and vanilla. My hair was very easily finger styled this morning and has a nice scent to it from the shea. I'm impressed & will be purchasing some regular shea butter now.

ChocoKitty

Blacktresses said:
LADIES.....:)

Keep the responses comming....

Also, where do youfine unrefine shea butter ? I live in Chicago so...I know some health food stores BUT...I haven't been able to find it. I purchase fnwl, but, I have the feeling that the site only has refined shea butter.

HELP !!!

Are there any online stores that sells unrefined shea butter :ohwell:

I get mine from www.nasabb.com