Sew-Ins 101

v2.0

Hi ladies!

Can we discuss sew-in tips, tricks, recommendations, maintenance, and the like?

* How do you choose which brand and type of hair to buy? Does it depend on the style you want?

* How do you choose a style? What is your inspiration?

* What's your regimen? How often do you wash your hair while wearing a sew in? How do you dry it/style it?

* What do you do in terms of daily/nightly maintenance?

Feel free to add on.

Thann

* How do you choose which brand and type of hair to buy?
I read reviews and looked at pictures. I already had in mind the major things I didn't want to deal with. My major things were to find hair that wasn't too shiny, matched my texture without being overly coarse and was quality hair that was reusable. Pictures helped the most as far as having a accurate idea of what to expect, but reviews prepared me for the unexpected.

*Does it depend on the style you want?
For me, no. My styles are doable with the hair I order. I'm thinking of making the move to EP b/c I want hair that acts like my real hair whether wet, drying or dry. I do a lot of swimming and hanging beachside so I like the idea of it frizzing and what not instead of it being stick straight when wet.

I normally go with the same general style and just play with varations. Sometimes I play with length, but mainly with cut and my bangs. I will normally see photos of parts of hairstyles I like and take inspiration from there. Like recently, I say Beyonce's had a full band with a very natural density that fell in this very pretty tapering effect. I'm not gonna go for the entire style, but I will be borrowing those bangs and adding it to what I normally do.

* What's your regimen? How often do you wash your hair while wearing a sew in? How do you dry it/style it?
My reggie is simple. I style it with heat normally and like to have fun with it. I take care of my real hair by deep conditioning every 10- 14 days. I will sometimes airdry or sit under a bonnet until the base of my sewin is mostly dry. I normally blowdry the length of my weave and style from there.

I normally just moisturize and tie up my leave out hair at night. I will also pincurl my bang so I can avoid using heat on my leavout hair. If I'm wearing my weave down, I will sometimes braid up my back leave out hair to protect it.

MaintaintheSexy

I've worn a lot of weaves and one of my favorite brands is Janet and soon I plan on trying the Indian Remy Brand. I like hair that has some amount of yak in it because it is a bit more realistic looking than the silky straight hairs. I've purchased a lot of hair by the pound from Lugos and Erena. They are okay. I blame my beautician for improperly installing the pound hair because she always made it look fake, despite how I would style it. I never could make it look as good as it should just off the strength that she wouldn't leave enough of my hair out for the horseshoe and the sides.
As for styles, I like long lengths with bangs I like curly and wavy textures. I like center parts. I have to be hair textures according to the style. For curly styles, I like Harlem 125 Italian Body Wave. I am going to try Ocean Wave by Indian Remy, so I will update you on how I like it.
For curly styles, I braid or twist my hair at night. For straight styles I wrap it.
I moisturize my scalp with Infusium 23 everyday and every other day I massage with castor oil. You have to wash your scalp and the weave. You have to separate the hair into sections and wash it row by row. Dilute the shampoo and don't use too much. Sit under a hair dryer and afterwards you can manually dry the rest. Don't wet the pack hair. It will tangle.

Eisani

I have a question too; when hair is sold in ounces, how do you know how many ounces to order? Like how do you know if you need 4, 6, or 16 :look: ounces?

doobiequeen88

* How do you choose which brand and type of hair to buy? Does it depend on the style you want? This is my first sew in so I just got whatever hair my stylist asked me to,,,VIP Remy 12''

I love curls and waves so i told her that I wanted something that looked like the kardashian sisters style

* What's your regimen? How often do you wash your hair while wearing a sew in? How do you dry it/style it?Wash and condish with hair one diluted in a spray bottle bi-weekly, moisturize daily w/ nu gro moisturizing spray

to keep the waves i just pin curl it at night w/ a satin cap

Adaoba2012

I have a question too; when hair is sold in ounces, how do you know how many ounces to order? Like how do you know if you need 4, 6, or 16 ounces?

You normally need 8 ounces for a full weave [Two-4 ounce bundles] :yep:

* How do you choose which brand and type of hair to buy? Does it depend on the style you want?
For me it seems like you have to experiment with different types of hair to really know which one is the best for you and the particular style you want. I normally wear remy hair because its very versatile and it lasts for several installs.

I get inspiration from random people. Girls at my school love to wear weaves and sometimes I draw inspiration from them. Also if I see someone on TV with a particular style that I like I try to find pics of it online to bring to my stylist. I love longer hair..[atleast 14 inches] and I normally get a center part with layers...or a side part with a swoop. I haven't had a bang before but I may try it in a completely full install one day.

I will probably wash my hair every 7-10 days while in a weave. I do a prepoo, dilute some shampoo in a spray bottle and spray it between the braids then wash the hair left out normally. Do the same for conditioner. Most of the time I will air dry and sometimes I'll blow dry. Then flat iron.

Most of the time I wrap. I moisturize the hair left out every night and moisturize the braids using an applicator bottle filled with a moisturizer mixture every other day or so.

Here's a link to the weave it up challenge which has links to other weave threads along with some weave tips. Hope this helps! http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=423524&referrerid=146658

Last edited:

Adaoba2012

How many packs of hair do you use? What's a good quality BSS brand? Wet and Wavy brand?

2 packs of hair will get you a full weave. Some good BSS brands that I think are great are IndiRemi and Goddess Remy. My sister used Velvet Remy wet and wavy before and it looked really good...it shed a bit though and she couldn't reuse it. HTH

MaintaintheSexy

I have a question too; when hair is sold in ounces, how do you know how many ounces to order? Like how do you know if you need 4, 6, or 16 :look: ounces?

Usually, one pack of hair is the equivalent to 4 ounces. They say to do a whole, entire head, it takes at least 8 or 9 and if you are going for a "big hair" style, 10 or 11.

what do you do for itching? i wash this mess quite often... but it still itches awfully bad... it itches worse when i put moisturizer on the braids.

glamazon386

Can we discuss sew-in tips, tricks, recommendations, maintenance, and the like?

* How do you choose which brand and type of hair to buy? Does it depend on the style you want? It depends on the style and how long I need it to last.

* How do you choose a style? What is your inspiration? I usually just go to the store and look at the hair or look at the hair online.

* What's your regimen? How often do you wash your hair while wearing a sew in? How do you dry it/style it? I usually wash and air dry once a week. Then I style the hair - depending on the hair that could be washing and going or flat ironing.

* What do you do in terms of daily/nightly maintenance? Just tie it up at night. And freshen up my hairline in the morning.

glamazon386

How many packs of hair do you use? What's a good quality BSS brand? Wet and Wavy brand?

Sensationnel Goddess Remi, Outre Velvet Remi, Saga Remi, etc. I like the Goddess the best.

I usually buy two which is 8 oz. I usually have a little bit left over. I never use the full 2 packs.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Most people don't need more than 8 ounces unless they want really big hair like Chaka Kan or Diana Ross.

People with smaller heads-4-6 ounces
People with medium heads 5-6 ounces
People with big heads- 6-8 ounces

This provides the most natural looking weaves.

Neala21

Typically a full sewin will need 8 oz seeing that your weave hair is 16" or less. If longer than 16" you will need 10 - 12 oz to complete a full head. Plus it depends on personal preference!s and style choices and texture of hair (curly, wavy, straight, etc.)

v2.0

So I've been weaved up for about a week now. Haven't been moisturizing and am fearing wash day. Hellllllllllllp meeeeeeeeeeee.

v2.0

Sensationnel Goddess Remi, Outre Velvet Remi, Saga Remi, etc. I like the Goddess the best.

I usually buy two which is 8 oz. I usually have a little bit left over. I never use the full 2 packs.

I have the Saga Remy Yaki in my hair and I love it. I'm curious to see what happens after my first wash. All of my hair is braided up and none of it is out.

Glam how long does it take your hair to air dry?

v2.0

So I washed my hair and it wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. I roller set it and am happy with the end result. My closure came out. It's currently wrapped around two rollers and drying on my nightstand, lol. I plan on sewing it back on (it was originally glued).

More questions:

How big are your cornrows? How many do you typically have? How big is your head? :lol:

glamazon386

I have the Saga Remy Yaki in my hair and I love it. I'm curious to see what happens after my first wash. All of my hair is braided up and none of it is out.

Glam how long does it take your hair to air dry?

I'd say a few hours. When it's cold outside I usually like to wash it when I know I'm going to be home for a while. Like first thing Saturday morning. By the time I've cooked breakfast, cleaned, etc. it's usually dry. In warmer months it doesn't really matter though I'll go out with wet hair.