Sew Ins and Moisturizing

Hi everyone, I've started wearing sew ins recently, to give my natural hair a break. I know its good to moisturize your hair under the sew in, what do you use and how do you do it. Thanks

Sheena

I normally just spray braid spray on my hair that is weaved up and moisturise the leaveout as usual. I try not to get product on the weave. HTH.

RegaLady

I normally just spray braid spray on my hair that is weaved up and moisturise the leaveout as usual. I try not to get product on the weave. HTH.

Yes, this is your best bet.

Or make a mix of glycerine and water, and maybe your favorite moisterizer and spray everyday on braids. I do this religiously and by take down a couple of months later, my hair is super moisterized!

glamazon386

I wash and DC once a week. That's good enough for me. I also use some type of butter on my hair before I braid it. That keeps it soft too.

beana

I don't moisturize my hair underneath in between washes. IMO its unnecessary and can lead to tangles/matted hair when you take it down.

*C00KIE*

I don't moisturize my hair underneath in between washes. IMO its unnecessary and can lead to tangles/matted hair when you take it down.

I agree, to an extent. Before getting the install, I wash and deep condition, I moisturize (w/heavy moisturizer or shea butter) my hair VERY good and then get it braided then sewn in. From that time to take down time I spray either water or water mixed with moisturizer/glyercine (only do this after i put my finger all the way down to feel if my hair NEEDS the moisture). When you take your hair down hair will be moist and from there you might want to do a protein treatment OR deep conditioning, depending on your hair status

SuchaLady

*C00KIE* So you dont wash at all while the weave is in? How long do you typically leave it in?

I agree, to an extent. Before getting the install, I wash and deep condition, I moisturize (w/heavy moisturizer or shea butter) my hair VERY good and then get it braided then sewn in. From that time to take down time I spray either water or water mixed with moisturizer/glyercine (only do this after i put my finger all the way down to feel if my hair NEEDS the moisture). When you take your hair down hair will be moist and from there you might want to do a protein treatment OR deep conditioning, depending on your hair status

*C00KIE*

No, I do not wash w/ shampoo. I use human hair, so when I feel my hair is dirty, I run cold water through my scalp and massage, because I use little to no product while in the sew in I dont have much build up.

I did the shampoo thing, before, but felt like that did more harm then good, because i always think i wash it all out, but dont and it turned out to dry my hair and of course some matting was going on

ETA. A sewn on me will last between 1-3 months, depending on the hair and the way MY own hair is braided and most importantly the status of my hair

Last edited: