Seventh Day adventist

AJamericanDiva said:
See, that's why after counselling and seeing how spiritual minded my hubby was my uncle was able to marry us. When we took the compatability test, he was too shocked that we were so compatable.... opposites.. me extrovert, outgoing, him laid back... but the common thread is that we both loved the Lord. I've dated Adventists and non-Adventists, so I've seen both of the spectrums. When I first told my hubby that they may not wed us as we're "unequally yoked" he was like, "WHAT? We both believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour". That ended that. Furthermore, he goes to church with me. He used to eat unclean foods, but no longer does. We don't have any problems. I couldn't have married a better man. That's just my situation. ... but I do know about the single SDA scene. It can be a tad depressing.

I've felt for a long time that that scripture is never completed. Doesn't scripture say unequally yolked with "unbelievers"? Not just unequally yolked. You were definitely blessed.

RabiaElaine said:
Maybe you should start up your own Adventure's club with some other parents. That's how they get started, because there is a need for them. I'm sure you are not the only one. You should really think about it. I think the Adventurer/Pathfinder Club is excellent. I learned a lot of life skills there that translated to school, then college, then the workforce. I encourage all parents to put their kids into Pathfinders. It's not perfect but trust me it's still well worth it in the end for your kids.

Actually, there was one, but the parents dropped it. Same thing with the childrens choir. No one wants to do these things. We only have 17 more months here, then we'll be gone. I hope there will be more interest where we go. If the Lord wills it that we go back to NAshville, than there will be no problem because my old church has all these things.

kisz4tj said:
I've felt for a long time that that scripture is never completed. Doesn't scripture say unequally yolked with "unbelievers"? Not just unequally yolked. You were definitely blessed.

The scripture says unequally yoked with unbelievers. Different people interpret that different ways. I personally believe that you can be unequally yoked with a Seventh Day Adventist that has no real connection with the Lord and only calls themselves SDA. I haven't made up my mind about whether I could marry someone who believe in the Lord and has a relationship with him, but isn't an SDA, right now I'm seeing someone like that.

mohair said:
I know Nancy!! I love her. Thanks to her, we now work together as well.

Small world! Though I confess to not keeping in touch as I should, she's my girl. Her, Lilli and Joe are the closest relatives to my age that I have. That's the main reason I want to live in Atl. I just want to be close to famliy.

RabiaElaine said:
The scripture says unequally yoked with unbelievers. Different people interpret that different ways. I personally believe that you can be unequally yoked with a Seventh Day Adventist that has no real connection with the Lord and only calls themselves SDA. I haven't made up my mind about whether I could marry someone who believe in the Lord and has a relationship with him, but isn't an SDA, right now I'm seeing someone like that.

Exactly. There are so many claiming to be SDA but not remotely connected to what it means. Thern there are those who are not SDA, but are so connected spiritually. The only resolustion is to earnestly pray for guidance in these situations.

No. This is not stupid. You just have to be prayed up! The safest place to be is in God's will. I know I could not be married to a man who didn't keep the Sabbath. With children, it would make things too difficult. But that's me.

You have to decide if YOU could live with that and if that is what God wants for you. I know you know this but its worth repeating, don't go into a relationship thinking that he will change later.

He's non-Denominational now. That's were he is. You sound grounded in SDA. I believe families should worship together. Esp. when there are children involved. Are you willing to go to church on Sunday? These are decisions you must face.

My husband was not Adventist when we started dating or when we got engaged. We did a bible study and came to the same beliefs before we were married BUT I had made up my mind that I would not go through with the marriage unless he accepted the Sabbath. Lucky for him, he did.:lol: I told him this after we were married. He was upset after I told him, but he got over it.

ETA: BTW,I was not "practicing" Adventism when my hubby and I got engaged

I don't believe in wasting time while you are dating. If you see a future with him, pursue the relationship. If not, move on! Time is too precious. JMHO.

RabiaElaine said:
Tad depressing is right. I went and visited the non-denominational church that the guy I'm seeing attends, the young men are are so 'Out there for the Lord'. That's the only way I can put it. It was strange for me to see a guy who wasn't singing, or who wasn't preaching just praising God and thanking him for all that he's done in his life, and it was real. I'm glad that your husband is deciding to change his lifestyle for himself...he will be healthier that way. If he does baptize Adventist at some point, it's very good that it won't be because you pressured him too. I know some women who have done that, it has backfired on them big time. I'm glad that you found that right man for you AJD. You go girl ;) .

I don't know what will happen with this guy I'm seeing. We actually had a very deep discussion about where we are going with this yesterday. We've decided that we are building a foundation for a relationship at this point (we've been seeing each other on and off for about 8 months now, we've been steadily on for about 5 months now). We don't want to just attach a label to our relationship just yet just because we've been seeing each other for some time now, at first I wanted to but now I don't that's pointless if there is no foundation. We both have stuff to still learn about each other before we enter into a serious relationship. We also are seeking the Lord regarding this so that we make the best decision. My parents are going to freak at some point if we do enter a serious relationship because he's not SDA, and I need to decide if I can handle that. We both stated that while we are not attaching a label to the relationship, that there is no one else in the picture on either side. Is this stupid, help me out?

Last edited:
good2uuuu said:
Exactly. There are so many claiming to be SDA but not remotely connected to what it means. Thern there are those who are not SDA, but are so connected spiritually. The only resolustion is to earnestly pray for guidance in these situations.

This is exactly what I've been struggling with, and praying to the Lord about. I have never really dated or met (that was available anyway) a man who is SDA and grounded. What's a girl to do? I will catch hell's fire, if I marry a man who is spiritually grounded but not SDA from my parents. I doubt they would attend my wedding:perplexed . Does anyone here believe that we should not marry anyone if they are not SDA...even if the man is spiritually grounded in the Lord??

natalied said:
No. This is not stupid. You just have to be prayed up! The safest place to be is in God's will. I know I could not be married to a man who didn't keep the Sabbath. With children, it would make things too difficult. But that's me.

You have to decide if YOU could live with that and if that is what God wants for you. I know you know this but its worth repeating, don't go into a relationship thinking that he will change later.

He's non-Denominational now. That's were he is. You sound grounded in SDA. I believe families should worship together. Esp. when there are children involved. Are you willing to go to church on Sunday? These are decisions you must face.

My husband was not Adventist when we started dating or when we got engaged. We did a bible study and came to the same beliefs before we were married BUT I had made up my mind that I would not go through with the marriage unless he accepted the Sabbath. Lucky for him, he did.:lol: I told him this after we were married. He was upset after I told him, but he got over it.

ETA: BTW,I was not "practicing" Adventism when my hubby and I got engaged

I don't believe in wasting time while you are dating. If you see a future with him, pursue the relationship. If not, move on! Time is too precious. JMHO.

Girl u just answered my question. I do see your point and believe you are right about thinking I'm going to change a man. That is definitely not my intent. I also don't want to have to fight with this man on Sabbath mornings about going to church. I don't mind attending other services for a certain program, like I've attended his church for certain concerts and things, but I don't plan on attending a non-denominational church on a regular basis. Yes I do need to examine this and pray about this some more. Don't you wish the Lord would just come down to you so that you know it's him talking to you, sometimes I'm not always sure what the Lord's will is in my life, maybe that's just me. I'd love to get an email from the Lord every once in while telling me what he wants me to do in all areas of my life.

We all know that not SDA's are not the only ones that will be caught up in the air...so having said that I can't imagine being burnt to a crisp for marrying someone who loves the Lord and serves him with an open heart.

RabiaElaine said:
Don't you wish the Lord would just come down to you so that you know it's him talking to you, sometimes I'm not always sure what the Lord's will is in my life, maybe that's just me. I'd love to get an email from the Lord every once in while telling me what he wants me to do in all areas of my life.
You and me both!!

I have no doubt that God will answer your prayers. Ask Him for a sign and then wait until he tells you to move. Pray and fast. Fast and pray. If this relationship is important to you, make this a priority in your prayer life as well.

RabiaElaine said:
Girl u just answered my question. I do see your point and believe you are right about thinking I'm going to change a man. That is definitely not my intent. I also don't want to have to fight with this man on Sabbath mornings about going to church. I don't mind attending other services for a certain program, like I've attended his church for certain concerts and things, but I don't plan on attending a non-denominational church on a regular basis. Yes I do need to examine this and pray about this some more. Don't you wish the Lord would just come down to you so that you know it's him talking to you, sometimes I'm not always sure what the Lord's will is in my life, maybe that's just me. I'd love to get an email from the Lord every once in while telling me what he wants me to do in all areas of my life.

I agree, there are many sheep not of this fold. I just wouldn't want to deal with issues or be put in a place where I would have to compromise my beliefs for my husband or argue him down b/c he wants to do something on the Sabbath that I didn''t. Marriage is hard enough.

I know people who choose to go down that path. Their husbands don't respect the Sabbath and they are constantly in a state of turmoil. I will agree that there are some exceptions.

I also feel its important for a family to worship together. If he's willing to accept the Sabbath and respect my beliefs within Adventism, then cool. If not, for me that spells big trouble down the road.

kisz4tj said:
We all know that not SDA's are not the only ones that will be caught up in the air...so having said that I can't imagine being burnt to a crisp for marrying someone who loves the Lord and serves him with an open heart.

kisz4tj said:

You are absolutely right about SDA's not being the only one in heaven...we all know about the email joke about Room #8, don't we :). I'm still struggling with the second part since right now anyway I don't know any SDA men that are like that, which is why maybe I should open myself up to meeting more people. But right now I'm not sure that the Lord wants us to put ourselves in that situation with someone who serves the Lord but doesn't accept his Sabbath even though the truth has been revealed to him. I'm praying on this one.

Tis true.......
natalied said:
I agree, there are many sheep not of this fold. I just wouldn't want to deal with issues or be put in a place where I would have to compromise my beliefs for my husband or argue him down b/c he wants to do something on the Sabbath that I didn''t. Marriage is hard enough.

I know people who choose to go down that path. Their husbands don't respect the Sabbath and they are constantly in a state of turmoil. I will agree that there are some exceptions.

I also feel its important for a family to worship together. If he's willing to accept the Sabbath and respect my beliefs within Adventism, then cool. If not, for me that spells big trouble down the road.

Dating non-Adventist men and marrying them are TWO SEPERATE ISSUES. If you meet a non-SDA who is interested or open to the Sabbath and to Adventism, why not date? Now, if they are like "Heck No" to the Sabbath issue, I say RUN. Run Forest. RUN!!!

RabiaElaine said:
You are absolutely right about SDA's not being the only one in heaven...we all know about the email joke about Room #8, don't we :). I'm still struggling with the second part since right now anyway I don't know any SDA men that are like that, which is why maybe I should open myself up to meeting more people. But right now I'm not sure that the Lord wants us to put ourselves in that situation with someone who serves the Lord but doesn't accept his Sabbath even though the truth has been revealed to him. I'm praying on this one.

RabiaElaine said:
This is exactly what I've been struggling with, and praying to the Lord about. I have never really dated or met (that was available anyway) a man who is SDA and grounded. What's a girl to do? I will catch hell's fire, if I marry a man who is spiritually grounded but not SDA from my parents. I doubt they would attend my wedding:perplexed . Does anyone here believe that we should not marry anyone if they are not SDA...even if the man is spiritually grounded in the Lord??

I'm married to a non-Adventist, so I don't think I should even answer. :rofl:
...and yes, my parents, ordained church elder Grandma and the entire lot were at the wedding.

natalied said:
Dating non-Adventist men and marrying them are TWO SEPERATE ISSUES. If you meet a non-SDA who is interested or open to the Sabbath and to Adventism, why not date? Now, if they are like "Heck No" to the Sabbath issue, I say RUN. Run Forest. RUN!!!
:lol: :lol:...

Yeah, but your husband practically is!!!!:lol:
AJamericanDiva said:
I'm married to a non-Adventist, so I don't think I should even answer. :rofl:
...and yes, my parents, ordained church elder Grandma and the entire lot were at the wedding.

natalied said:
Yeah, but your husband practically is!!!!:lol:

Ok... um, :look: this is true... However, I will state for the record that I couldn't bother dating a man who felt like we should have pork in the house or the kids could eat it, when I don't... or one that didn't believe the 7th day to be Sabbath... that's for sure. It would create too much grief! :whyme:

Tell me if this describes your husband:

When I met my husband:
1) He hated liquor.
2) Didn't care for clubs and "partying" (though we met at his fraternity's party!;))
3) Couldn't stand smoke.
4) Though swine was vile.

Outside of the Sabbath, he was Adventist and didn't even know it!

AJamericanDiva said:
Ok... um, :look: this is true... However, I will state for the record that I couldn't bother dating a man who felt like we should have pork in the house or the kids could eat it, when I don't... or one that didn't believe the 7th day to be Sabbath... that's for sure. It would create too much grief! :whyme:

natalied said:
Tell me if this describes your husband:

When I met my husband:
1) He hated liquor. He was an alcoholic!
2) Didn't care for clubs and "partying" (though we met at his fraternity's party!;)) Didn't mind... would play music LOUD when drunk!
3) Couldn't stand smoke. Was a smoker!!!
4) Though swine was vile. Ate pork and could cook some mean seafood dishes... curried shrimp, lobster....so I'm told as I didn't partake of these, but my worldly friends sure did love it! I'm messing up your theory ain't I???

Outside of the Sabbath, he was Adventist and didn't even know it!

Funny thing is that we first started dating when I was in college. He drank and smoked. YUCK! I left him because of his serious drinking problem, despite the fact that we were together 3 years as there was no way I'd marry anyone in this condition, muchless have kids. We managed to stay in touch over the years. I was close to his mom. He kept begging me to give him a chance. I got pregnant with the next relationship, then he had a child as well (there are 7 months between the kids). He told me how he accepted the Lord as his Savior and he no longer drank nor smoked. He told me he'd go to church with me and the whole nine. After much pleading, I gave him a chance. I told him that going to church with me would be something he'd have to do on his own. Not because he was trying to win me over. Well, we got married in 2002 and God couldn't have given me anyone better. We just had our first child together April of last year. Since he gave up those addictions, he cannot stand them. The funny thing is that he couldn't stand it when he was younger. Once he joined the US Army, he came back a drinking and smoking fool. God has delivered him. He knows that his body is a temple.

Wow! You two have a beautiful testimony! Have you ever shared it publicly? Outside of LHCF of course:look:

AJamericanDiva said:
Funny thing is that we first started dating when I was in college. He drank and smoked. YUCK! I left him because of his serious drinking problem, despite the fact that we were together 3 years as there was no way I'd marry anyone in this condition, muchless have kids. We managed to stay in touch over the years. I was close to his mom. He kept begging me to give him a chance. I got pregnant with the next relationship, then he had a child as well (there are 7 months between the kids). He told me how he accepted the Lord as his Savior and he no longer drank nor smoked. He told me he'd go to church with me and the whole nine. After much pleading, I gave him a chance. I told him that going to church with me would be something he'd have to do on his own. Not because he was trying to win me over. Well, we got married in 2002 and God couldn't have given me anyone better. We just had our first child together April of last year. Since he gave up those addictions, he cannot stand them. The funny thing is that he couldn't stand it when he was younger. Once he joined the US Army, he came back a drinking and smoking fool. God has delivered him. He knows that his body is a temple.

AJamericanDiva said:

So your husband believed in the Sabbath before you married?

AJamericanDiva said:

Awwww what a nice love story :) with a happy ending. And I've Diva's child in church he sure is cute and her daughter is beautiful just like her mommy;) !!!

I would just like to take a commercial break to say.... I love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ladies are giving me a chance to get some things off my chest with some fellow church sisters!!! And since we are so real on LHCF it really helps that everyone is going to give you their real opinion. Honestly I needed this release today. Thanks girls :kiss: ...let's keep this thread going.

RabiaElaine said:
I would just like to take a commercial break to say.... I love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ladies are giving me a chance to get some things off my chest with some fellow church sisters!!! And since we are so real on LHCF it really helps that everyone is going to give you their real opinion. Honestly I needed this release today. Thanks girls :kiss: ...let's keep this thread going.

Me too!!! I truly believe LHCF was a Godsend to me AND my hair!

RabiaElaine said:

yeah, let's!!! I'm sure the thread starter will be shocked when she comes back to pages and pages of thread! :eek:

AJamericanDiva said:
yeah, let's!!! I'm sure the thread starter will be shocked when she comes back to pages and pages of thread! :eek:

I know it's growing mighty fast. I've been on this thread most of the day and not the hair care ones surprisingly:p . But it's good to have some fellowship online.

RabiaElaine said:
So your husband believed in the Sabbath before you married?

He started attending church w/me when we hooked up. There were days when I didn't feel like going to church and he'd be like "Let's go! Gotta get charged up for the week." Made me feel ashamed of myself, so I'd go.

RabiaElaine said:
Awwww what a nice love story :) with a happy ending. And I've Diva's child in church he sure is cute and her daughter is beautiful just like her mommy;) !!!

4_18_4.gif
Awwww... shucks!!!

Back