Seventh Day adventist

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
You got that right. I'm one of those people that don't like to quote E.G. White. I've read some of her stuff and I was like "What???" I even read where she had something against taking photos. Her writings are very much a part of the Adventist experience. I don't like to deal with it personally, so I even have to wonder if I am truly Seventh Day Adventist or just a Seventh Day observer. I've been to Seventh Day Baptist and other churches too....

Thank goodness I can have discussions with my uncle over topics that disturb me... this being one of them. I have come to realize though that religion won't get me saved. It's my personal relationship with Christ. That's why I don't stress over it too much. Why did I take this quiz that told you what your religion was based on your beliefs and SDA was maybe #6 of their suggested religions that they thought I was. I should post the quiz here if I can find it. I believe they had me down as Church of the Latter Day Saints as first choice. Very interesting. I must look for the quiz.

You know, the thing about EGW is that folks want to whip you over the head with her writings. Most people quote her out of context and that's unfortunate. She would most certainly turn over in her grave if she knew how much people throw her writings around and even place them above the Bible. She herself said that her writings are a lesser light and that the Bible is where we need to focus. Also, people forget that times were different then when she wrote. Modern conveniences were not around then, so, for example, tkaking a bath on Sabbath is not a big deal now like it was back then. It was a chore to pump water, heat it, fill the tub, dump it. You know? Today all we have to do is turn a knob and that's it. But, there are those who will condem you for taking a shower on Sabbath.

Lemme get off my soapbox. Just want to say that I believe EGW is very important even thogh there are a couple of things I do question. Unfortunately all her writings are highly edited so we don't get to see complete manuscripts. This is why I turn to the Bible first.

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
Hey, I know Joe Howell!!!! He was also friends with my pals Arthur Powell, Erica Powell (can't remember her married name), June Sewer and my Godsister Jackie Williams (can't remember her married name either!)

Joe is my cuz!!! And Jackie and I were running buds as kids. LOL! I remember Arthur and Erica. Nancy is his sister.

MomofThreeBoys

She herself said that you should never ever take her writing over the holy scriptures. I've come to realize some of her writings were meant for people in her time. For instance, movies. Back in the day, movies were akin to bars, smoking and drinking and the like. I still enjoy reading her writings.

Remember, the one thing that makes Adventists different from ALL other religions is NOT the Sabbath. It is the sanctuary message.

When my husband first proposed we considered Seventh Day Baptist. He was Baptist. I was SDA. Sounded like a perfect compromise right?!? I gave him the great controversary to read after I had read it for the FIRST time (AND I WAS BORN ADVENTIST!). Then we both did independent bible studies (me in NY, and he in NC) and he ended up joing "my church"! Boy, was his family pissed off!:lol:

Sounds like you might be still searching. I'll keep you in prayer my Diva sista!:grin:

AJamericanDiva said:
You got that right. I'm one of those people that don't like to quote E.G. White. I've read some of her stuff and I was like "What???" I even read where she had something against taking photos. Her writings are very much a part of the Adventist experience. I don't like to deal with it personally, so I even have to wonder if I am truly Seventh Day Adventist or just a Seventh Day observer. I've been to Seventh Day Baptist and other churches too....

Thank goodness I can have discussions with my uncle over topics that disturb me... this being one of them. I have come to realize though that religion won't get me saved. It's my personal relationship with Christ. That's why I don't stress over it too much. Why did I take this quiz that told you what your religion was based on your beliefs and SDA was maybe #6 of their suggested religions that they thought I was. I should post the quiz here if I can find it. I believe they had me down as Church of the Latter Day Saints as first choice. Very interesting. I must look for the quiz.

MomofThreeBoys

ITA!!!!!!!

good2uuuu said:
You know, the thing about EGW is that folks want to whip you over the head with her writings. Most people quote her out of context and that's unfortunate. She would most certainly turn over in her grave if she knew how much people throw her writings around and even place them above the Bible. She herself said that her writings are a lesser light and that the Bible is where we need to focus. Also, people forget that times were different then when she wrote. Modern conveniences were not around then, so, for example, tkaking a bath on Sabbath is not a big deal now like it was back then. It was a chore to pump water, heat it, fill the tub, dump it. You know? Today all we have to do is turn a knob and that's it. But, there are those who will condem you for taking a shower on Sabbath.

Lemme get off my soapbox. Just want to say that I believe EGW is very important even thogh there are a couple of things I do question. Unfortunately all her writings are highly edited so we don't get to see complete manuscripts. This is why I turn to the Bible first.

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
I know City Tab is on the conservative side, hence I haven't visited. I don't know if it's changed since Jules' arrival, but somehow I doubt it. That's an old school church so I don't think they'll go for it... like Ephesus.

I love Jules and I t hink he might have loosened the up a millimeter...lol. But yes, it is a conservative shurch. It's the last church my dad pastored before becoming conf. Prez. Even though a lot of the churches are quite conservative, I do miss the organization and order. I like to have a spirited worship also. I don't need to be jumping over pews, but give me som life in my service.....lol. Maybe my folks are getting a little looser in their old age becaue the sometimes go to MAdison Mission in Hunstville. This surprised me, but then they live right down the street from there. Don't think they'll ever embrace the lively services completely though. I peronally like to see a good balance in the service of different types of music, etc. so that everyones tastes are acknowleged.

kisz4tj

Oh your folks moved to Huntsville. I remember your Dad being very conservative and soft spoken.

good2uuuu said:
Maybe my folks are getting a little looser in their old age becaue the sometimes go to MAdison Mission in Hunstville. This surprised me, but then they live right down the street from there. Don't think they'll ever embrace the lively services completely though.

AJamericanDiva

natalied said:
She herself said that you should never ever take her writing over the holy scriptures. I've come to realize some of her writings were meant for people in her time. For instance, movies. Back in the day, movies were akin to bars, smoking and drinking and the like. I still enjoy reading her writings.

Remember, the one thing that makes Adventists different from ALL other religions is NOT the Sabbath. It is the sanctuary message.

When my husband first proposed we considered Seventh Day Baptist. He was Baptist. I was SDA. Sounded like a perfect compromise right?!? I gave him the great controversary to read after I had read it for the FIRST time (AND I WAS BORN ADVENTIST!). Then we both did independent bible studies (me in NY, and he in NC) and he ended up joing "my church"! Boy, was his family pissed off!:lol:

Sounds like you might be still searching. I'll keep you in prayer my Diva sista!:grin:

Girl, you keep me in your prayers. I too was born Adventist... baptized twice. I already told Grandma (whose an ordained church elder) I ain't dippin' no more!!!

AJamericanDiva

good2uuuu said:

That sums it up for me... Bible first and foremost. :)

AJamericanDiva

good2uuuu said:
Joe is my cuz!!! And Jackie and I were running buds as kids. LOL! I remember Arthur and Erica. Nancy is his sister.

I was in SDA from 1-8 grade. I take it you were at Westchester Area SDA school with Jackie? I was at Bronx Manhattan SDA for 1-5, then RT Hudson for 6, then moved to Dallas where I met Erica and Arthur while going to City Temple SDA and attending the school of the same name. After that, I went to a Health Professions HS. I went to Arthur's wedding.

AJamericanDiva

OK... how bout when I retook that quiz they said I was 100% SDA. Hmmm... was I having amnesia when I took it first? :scratchch

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
I was in SDA from 1-8 grade. I take it you were at Westchester Area SDA school with Jackie? I was at Bronx Manhattan SDA for 1-5, then RT Hudson for 6, then moved to Dallas where I met Erica and Arthur while going to City Temple SDA and attending the school of the same name. After that, I went to a Health Professions HS. I went to Arthur's wedding.

Actually, when I say Jackie and I were running buds as kids, I meant before school and at the campground....lol! I actually went to Linden for school till 3rd grade, than homeschooled then went to Bethesda 7th and 8th grade then off to PFA. I got family in Dallas also. My cousins wife is a dentist out there. They are Marvin and Diane Earle. Don't know how long you were in Dallas or if you even met them. Now Erica I met at OC.

MomofThreeBoys

AJamericanDiva said:
Girl, you keep me in your prayers. I too was born Adventist... baptized twice. I already told Grandma (whose an ordained church elder) I ain't dippin' no more!!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

When my hubby got baptized, I thought about going for it a second time. But I never did! Lookin' at how I was living I probably should have. I definietely was not a :littleang When I left my parents house (ya know the type: conservative carribean parentsO and went to college, I WAS OFF THE CHAIN!

MomofThreeBoys

My best friend and her sister went to Pine Forge. What years were you there?

good2uuuu said:
Actually, when I say Jackie and I were running buds as kids, I meant before school and at the campground....lol! I actually went to Linden for school till 3rd grade, than homeschooled then went to Bethesda 7th and 8th grade then off to PFA. I got family in Dallas also. My cousins wife is a dentist out there. They are Marvin and Diane Earle. Don't know how long you were in Dallas or if you even met them. Now Erica I met at OC.

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
OK... how bout when I retook that quiz they said I was 100% SDA. Hmmm... was I having amnesia when I took it first? :scratchch

:eek: And you wear jewry, too! LOL. Just messin' with ya. Ya know, as far as that can of worms issue is concerned, I can honestly say at this point in my journey I have no religious reasons for not wearing it. I just don't think that for me it's necessary or pratical, even though there is some gorgeous jewelry out there. I am however debating in my mind about a wedding band(don't like getting hit on). I even looked up to see what EGW has to say and the conclusion is that it's just not really necessary. No 'thou shalt not' or anything. Just that it's not necessary especially if its beyond your means, and a simple small band is not beyond my means.

AJamericanDiva

good2uuuu said:

When I became a flight attendant, I sent my daughter to City Temple for 1st and 2nd grade. I had Diane work on her teeth. I know the Earles. This world is tooooooooo small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been to a campmeeting in ages!

MomofThreeBoys

good2uuuu said:
:eek: And you wear jewry, too! LOL. Just messin' with ya. Ya know, as far as that can of worms issue is concerned, I can honestly say at this point in my journey I have no religious reasons for not wearing it. I just don't think that for me it's necessary or pratical, even though there is some gorgeous jewelry out there. I am however debating in my mind about a wedding band(don't like getting hit on). I even looked up to see what EGW has to say and the conclusion is that it's just not really necessary. No 'thou shalt not' or anything. Just that it's not necessary especially if its beyond your means, and a simple small band is not beyond my means.

I'm at that place too. My husband, who is a new believer compared to me, is against it. So I stopped wearing my wedding band about 2 or 3 years ago. He says that the jewlery issue is best understood in the context of the sanctuary. So we wil be doing a Bible study onit together. Sometimes its sad b/c I grew up SDA and he has to explain to me, the religion I grew up with. But I'm not complaining, that is his job as the "priest" of our home. I'm really fortunate in how he has embraced "the message". :)

Last edited:

AJamericanDiva

good2uuuu said:

Gurl, I feel as long as it isn't gaudy. My ears are pierced, but I did not pierce my daughter's. She sometimes says she wants hers pierced, but I discourage her. I wear a wedding band and engagement ring.

My hubby isn't a baptized SDA. My uncle married us here in my resident lounge... I had a small wedding. I incorporated the exchange of rings in our ceremony. Of course my uncle wouldn't marry us without counselling. My husband is a Christian and we both worship on the Sabbath. He told me that although he already's been baptized, he'd like to be baptized into the SDA church. While I don't discourage him, don't you think baptism symbolizes the death of the old sinful man and putting on a Christ-like character? Would it be necessary to do it again? I don't say anything to him, but I wonder to myself.

AJamericanDiva

natalied said:
I'm at that place too. My husband, who is a new believer compared to me, is against it. So I stopped wearing my wedding band about 2 or 3 years ago. He says that the jewlery issue is best understood in the context of the sanctuary. So we wil be doing a Bible study onit together. Sometimes its sad b/c I grew up SDA and he has to explain to me, the religion I grew up with. But I'm not complaining, that is his job as the "priest" of our home. I'm really fortunate in how he has embraced "the message". :)

Very good!

good2uuuu

natalied said:
Did you know a Sam Bagley or the Holmes sisters?

Yes I know SAm and Kimmie and Nicci! Nicci's son is my godson!!!!!

Is that why you look familiar? You actually do look like you could be related to Kimmie and Nicci.

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
Gurl, I feel as long as it isn't gaudy. My ears are pierced, but I did not pierce my daughter's. She sometimes says she wants hers pierced, but I discourage her. I wear a wedding band and engagement ring.

My hubby isn't a baptized SDA. My uncle married us here in my resident lounge... I had a small wedding. I incorporated the exchange of rings in our ceremony. Of course my uncle wouldn't marry us without counselling. My husband is a Christian and we both worship on the Sabbath. He told me that although he already's been baptized, he'd like to be baptized into the SDA church. While I don't discourage him, don't you think baptism symbolizes the death of the old sinful man and putting on a Christ-like character? Would it be necessary to do it again? I don't say anything to him, but I wonder to myself.

Now I always thought that if you have already been baptized then you could join the SDA church on profession of faith. I could be wrong though. I never asked dad about that one. If he wants to be baptized, than that wouldn't hurt anything.