Unequally yoked: Sunday and Saturday worshippers together?

envybeauty

I am wondering if anyone on here is a Sunday sabbath observer (Baptist, Catholic, etc.) AND is in a relationship with a Saturday observer (Seven Day Adventist, JW, etc.)?

Do you think the two can become one and not be unequally yoked?

Are you married? Do you have kids together? When do you go to church? Do you both attend together?
:look:

Ms.Honey

Dh and I both attend the same church so we don't fit the criteria but attending on a different day would not make a couple unequally yoked because God doesn't say we have to attend on a particular day. The belief systems of the two differing church's is what COULD make them unequally yoked.

Now attending a different church would make a wife out from under authority, her husband and his church and places her under another authority the church she's chosen.

cheetarah1980

I don't necessarily see it as being unequally yoked. However, it can cause a lot of division within a household. I could understand if a couple attended services both days. There is but one Sabbath, but we are to praise and worship EVERYDAY.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I know of quite a few Catholic/Jewish unions and several Catholic/protestant unions. They live as multi-faith families for the mostpart with an understanding in lots of cases that the children will attend both services and/or celebrate the holidays equally but that the children will be baptised and confirmed catholic. It can work. I don't quite understand "unequally" yoked because lots of people are successful. They have to develop much understanding from knowledge and counseling before the marriage takes place.

Ms.Honey

I know of quite a few Catholic/Jewish unions and several Catholic/protestant unions. They live as multi-faith families for the mostpart with an understanding in lots of cases that the children will attend both services and/or celebrate the holidays equally but that the children will be baptised and confirmed catholic. It can work. I don't quite understand "unequally" yoked because lots of people are successful. They have to develop much understanding from knowledge and counseling before the marriage takes place.

Christians are forbidden from marrying someone who is not a Christian. If they do that they are in disobedience to the Word of God. In order for it to be "successful" they are either compromising in their walk with Jesus or they are constantly arguing because their mate is living contrary to what they believe or they are a nominal Christian and it's not that big of a deal in the first place to practice another religion and have there children do so.

If they were already married to someone of a religion when they converted to Christianity then that's fine but for a born again Christian to marry someone who doesn't believe that Jesus is Lord and God is a whole bunch of mess just waiting to happen.

divya

I personally believe in marrying someone who is Seventh-Day Adventist or at least believes in Christian Sabbath observance (7th day-Sabbath). The Sabbath is very important including its observance in the home, especially when people intend to bring children into the world. To me, it does almost equate to be unequally yoked in God's eyes. Sabbath observance is far more than church attendance - the issue being keeping the Sabbath holy.

It would be very difficult and likely wrong for me to marry someone who does not believe in Sabbath observance, and expect him to prepare and observe Sabbath according to my faith. The entire day - Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset - is dedicated to God. Work, worldly programming, shopping and all the cares of this world are set aside in love and commitment to God. For someone who is a Sunday worshipper, often Sabbath observance is a real change that may be challenging to adopt due to marriage. It should be the genuine decision between that individual and God that leads them to observe the Sabbath.

Last edited:

cheetarah1980

I personally believe in marrying someone who is Seventh-Day Adventist or at least believes in Christian Sabbath observance (7th day-Sabbath). The Sabbath is very important including its observance in the home, especially when people intend to bring children into the world. To me, it does almost equate to be unequally yoked in God's eyes. Sabbath observance is far more than church attendance - the issue being keeping the Sabbath holy.

It would be very difficult and likely wrong for me to marry someone who does not believe in Sabbath observance, and expect him to prepare and observe Sabbath according to my faith. The entire day - Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset - is dedicated to God. Work, worldly programming, shopping and all the cares of this world are set aside in love and commitment to God. For someone who is a Sunday worshipper, often Sabbath observance is a real change that may be challenging to adopt due to marriage. It should be the genuine decision between that individual and God that leads them to observe the Sabbath.

Now this I agree with. Sabbath observance is initially difficult if you haven't been raised to observe. It's been a couple of years for me and I'm still learning about what it means to observe Sabbath. It's a balancing act between the Sabbath not being a burden and keeping it set apart from any other day.
If a woman is to follow the lead of her husband it would be very difficult for her to maintain Sabbath observance if he is not. If he wasn't already Sabbath observant then it's something he should be growing in by the time of the marriage. JMO.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Christians are forbidden from marrying someone who is not a Christian. If they do that they are in disobedience to the Word of God. In order for it to be "successful" they are either compromising in their walk with Jesus or they are constantly arguing because their mate is living contrary to what they believe or they are a nominal Christian and it's not that big of a deal in the first place to practice another religion and have there children do so.

If they were already married to someone of a religion when they converted to Christianity then that's fine but for a born again Christian to marry someone who doesn't believe that Jesus is Lord and God is a whole bunch of mess just waiting to happen.

That's not the interpretation of all churches - that it is a sin. For catholics, they have to get a dispensation involving the non-catholic party to agree to allow the catholic party to practice the faith and allow any children to be raised catholic. This includes marriage to protestants. It's not considered a sin whether the person is a non-catholic christian or non-christian. And actually, in ultra orthodox Judaism, it is forbidden for one to marry non-Jewish and there has to be a conversion of the non-Jewish partner first. Obviously, there are problems that can arise and such a marriage has to be carefully considered regarding religious and cultural practices of the partners. But being unequally yoked does not necessarily denote union with an immoral, "godless" or a sinner.

Ms.Honey

That's not the interpretation of all churches - that it is a sin. For catholics, they have to get a dispensation involving the non-catholic party to agree to allow the catholic party to practice the faith and allow any children to be raised catholic. This includes marriage to protestants. It's not considered a sin whether the person is a non-catholic christian or non-christian. And actually, in ultra orthodox Judaism, it is forbidden for one to marry non-Jewish and there has to be a conversion of the non-Jewish partner first. Obviously, there are problems that can arise and such a marriage has to be carefully considered regarding religious and cultural practices of the partners. But being unequally yoked does not necessarily denote union with an immoral, "godless" or a sinner.

Did I say that? You can be unequally yoked with a person who knows the Lord. He said be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers not be ye not unequally yoked with the unsaved only. You can be a Christian and an unbeliever.

What the bible says and what people do are two totally different things. In the OT the Lord forbids the Jews from marrying" strange women" people who are not Jewish. Do Jews still do it? Yes. Does that make it right with God? Nope, He is God and He does not change. There is even an instance in the OT where the Lord demanded the divorce of many couples (with children also) for disobeying Him and marrying non Jews. He means what He says.

In the NT, Paul says that Christians can marry whomever they wanted as long as in the Lord (another Christian to whom they are equally yoked). Do Christians continue to do it? Yep. Does it make it right with God? Nope.

He says what He says to protect us and save us from misery and to keep us from ruining our lives, and our childrens and their childrens lives.

We have a very high rate of divorce among Christians in this country. Why? Because we refuse to obey God and choose to marry folks who we are unequally yoked with in direct disobedience to His Word and protection. He knows that it's too much to bear everyday if we're trying to grow in our Christian walk to be bound to someone who isn't striving and believing the same thing but nope, we are wiser than God and we can be the exception:yep:. Yet we want to blame God when our marriages began to fail after we done prayed to the Lawd for help and He or she STILL won't do right:rolleyes: It doesn't make the spouse a bad person, it just means that they don't believe the same that you do, the way that you believe it.