Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Fotchygirl

Thanks Lu, one question for now, do you think it would be possible to achieve your curls without using the products you are using?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks Lu, one question for now, do you think it would be possible to achieve your curls without using the products you are using?

Yes I think it's certainly possible. I think you can use whatever products you like when it comes to setting and get awesome results, as long as:

1) You start off with clean hair. I know some people are not big on shampoo but I think a good PH balanced shampoo is great and wont disturb the natural PH of the scalp. Scalp health is really important so I'm not a huge fan of cowashing. My sets always last longer when my scalp is clean (cause it's not itchy from buildup forcing me to want to wash before 2 weeks) and having clean hair sets the tone on the level of penetration for my deep conditioner.

2) Any good moisturizing or protein rich deep conditioner. I get all the moisture I need during this step so I barely have to moisturize after setting. Maybe 2 times a week.

3) Any leave in that gives you a ton of slip. This will aid you on getting the hair to lay flat and smooth on the roller.

4) If you desire: a holding product. I like soft touchable hair, so I prefer no holding product or one that does not leave my hair crunchy. Also because you are setting on wet hair, you will get a small amount of hold any way.

5) It's all on how you preserve the set after setting that determines the longevity of it. Pineapple, bantu knots, pin curls, etc will become your best friend. lol

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Day 8 of my flexi rod set and my curls have ran away from my head! Still bunning tho till wash day. Oh and I purchased some hair candy...can't wait to incorporate them in my hair life.

Last edited:

girlonfire

I have a dilemma, like Nelly and Kelly...yall didn't get that.

Anywho, my dilemma is, I like my magnetic roller sets (specifically the 1.5 inch rollers) but they tangle? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I thought my hair was supposed to stay tangle free when I stretched it like this? That's partially the reason I started setting. maybe my fine tooth comb isn't fine enough? I don't know. I really like roller setting and i really hate straightening my hair after I'm not happy with it. Im starting my first job soon and i don't wan to look crazy. Maybe I need to smooth more or trim more. My ends are always tangling.

I'm about to purchase some seamless hurculese sageman combs http://www.hotcombs.net/

I'm not sure what combs to get. I thought it would be easy but there are sooo may to choose from. they have like 5 detangling combs, 10 fine tooth combs and 50-11 combs in between. I think I'll go with the comb that has a wide side and medium wide side and a finer side for sure. now I just need to figure out of i need an even finer comb. then I need to choose a wide tooth

Should I use this one:http://www.hotcombs.net/hs5580-styler-comb/
this one:http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-star-jumbo-rake/
or this one:http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-mini-super-star-rake-curve/

ladies how fine is your fine tooth comb if you use one? can you post a picture? I don't know if this helps but I am able to fit 12 sheets of printer paper closely (move with ease, up and down the length of the paper)between 2 teeth in my comb. try that experiment and see if you get less!

the fine tooth comb im looking at is this one:http://www.hotcombs.net/hs6740-pin-tail-comb/
and this one:http://www.hotcombs.net/hs6740-pin-tail-comb/

I'm stressing because I have a few things that I may have to pay for (school fees) and these combs are kinda expensive! Plus I hate paying for something then hating it later.

What say ye ladies?
What say ye ladies?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
girlonfire I don't have any experience with the combs you listed, but I use just a regular ole small tooth comb from Sally's for 99 cents. My hair maybe stays tangle free for the first 3 days but I do have to go up in the root area and pull shed hair down the shaft every few days thereafter. It does loosen up the curls a bit but it helps keep tangles at a minimum.

Last edited:

girlonfire

I've been doing some ingredient searching on the it's a 10 ingredients and I've found that the Cream of Nature Perfect 7 leave is VERY similar ingredients wise to the it's a 10 leave in

It's a 10 ingredients:
Water (Purified) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Propylene Glycol , Panthenol , Cyclomethicone , Silk Amino Acid , Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract Sunflower , Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extrac , Quaternium 80 , Fragrance , Eugenol 3 , Coumarin 3 , Cinnamal 3 , Linalool , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

Perfect 7 ingredients:
Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , fragrance , CyclopentaSiloxane , panthenol , Isopropyl Alcohol , Quaternium-80 , propylene glycol , Disodium EDTA , Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil , Silk Amino Acids , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , PHenoxyethanol , methylisothiazolinone

blue=same ingredients
pink=different
red=similar

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

I've been doing some ingredient searching on the it's a 10 ingredients and I've found that the Cream of Nature Perfect 7 leave is VERY similar ingredients wise to the it's a 10 leave in

It's a 10 ingredients:
Water (Purified) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Propylene Glycol , Panthenol , Cyclomethicone , Silk Amino Acid , Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed ExtractSunflower , Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract , Quaternium 80 , Fragrance , Eugenol 3 , Coumarin 3 , Cinnamal 3 , Linalool , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

Perfect 7 ingredients:
Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , fragrance , CyclopentaSiloxane , panthenol , Isopropyl Alcohol , Quaternium-80 , propylene glycol , Disodium EDTA , Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil , Silk Amino Acids , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , PHenoxyethanol , methylisothiazolinone

Never heard of the perfect 7, might try it out

girlonfire

Dang. I'm really about to pay $47+ for some combs. The frugalista in me says I'm out my gott damn mind...but the Pocahontas in me says that this breakage is not my destiny...so torn!

Welp I did it. I hope they get here by Saturday...I'd rather not look a mess at church.

If I decide I don't need one of the combs (or all) will someone take them off my hands for $40?

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

Dang. I'm really about to pay $47+ for some combs. The frugalista in me says I'm out my gott damn mind...but the Pocahontas in me says that this breakage is not my destiny...so torn!

What's special about the combs. Because I thought $16 for a comb was crazy but it's seamless and indestructible

girlonfire

What's special about the combs. Because I thought $16 for a comb was crazy but it's seamless and indestructible

Made by hand from 100% Vulcanized Natural Hard Rubber
Tried and tested design with perfect ergonomics
Twist-resistant and yet flexible
The teeth are hand-sawn, hand-cut, and hand-polished to perfection!
Non-porous (will not support the growth of mold or mildew); guaranteeing hygiene
Chemical and heat resistant
Antistatic (prevents fly-away hair)
Very smooth and gentle to the hair and scalp due to rounded tips and sides
Very good gliding ability when combing through the hair

copied from the site. I ended up buying the very wide toothed comb, the comb that looks like the chaz dean wen comb (medium teeth on one side, fine teeth on the other), and then an even finer toothed comb which is primarily the comb I'm wondering if i really need because it was hard to tell online.

One thing I'm praying to God about is that these combs come undamaged and together. I will raise hell if something happens because I don't have the time, energy, or money to be dealing with foolishness. I've read about some order mishaps that had me on edge about purchasing but after almost a month of mulling it over i decided to take the plunge because to reach my hair goal, this breakage needs to stop like yesterday.

Luscious850

Hello ladies! Roller addict here, I'd like to join:

Current hair length: APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed/Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices:
Magnetic roller wrap

Current Setting products:
Silicon mix leave in, aphogee leave in/keratin green tea, chi silk infusion or biosilk

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
Being able to stay consistent. Achieve minimal breakage.

How long do you plan to set?: until my hair tells me otherwise. Lol.

Post a beginning picture

image-2888393065.jpg

girlonfire

Hello ladies! Roller addict here, I'd like to join:

Current hair length: APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed/Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices:
Magnetic roller wrap

Current Setting products:
Silicon mix leave in, aphogee leave in/keratin green tea, chi silk infusion or biosilk

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
Being able to stay consistent. Achieve minimal breakage.

How long do you plan to set?: until my hair tells me otherwise. Lol.

Post a beginning picture

View attachment 271117

Your hair looks really healthy! I adore the color!! Did you get it done at a salon? Oh and :welcome:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97 was it you who said that you sometimes mix it's a 10 with a little water to stretch it or am I mistaken?

Yes, I spray it in my hands first...apply to my hair and I always follow it up with my spray bottle of water to aid in creating more slip. It's awesome sauce :) I can get a 4 oz bottle to last a long time. I purchased my last bottle around Nov last year and I still have over half the bottle left. I started off setting once a week then moved to every 2 weeks and I've always used it. That stuff wont die! I'm sure I'll still be using that bottle well into next year.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hello ladies! Roller addict here, I'd like to join: Current hair length: APL Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed/Relaxed Current Setting method and styling choices: Magnetic roller wrap Current Setting products: Silicon mix leave in, aphogee leave in/keratin green tea, chi silk infusion or biosilk Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Being able to stay consistent. Achieve minimal breakage. How long do you plan to set?: until my hair tells me otherwise. Lol. Post a beginning picture

Luscious850 Welcome Lady. Yes that color is FIRE hunty!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Man I can't believe it's already August. I swear this year just keeps flying by!

Any setting or hair goals in general this month? Mine consist of the following:

Setting:
Continue setting every 2 weeks. Gonna stick with flexi rods since they seem to be better for me during these hot summer months.

General hair goals:
1) Do an Aphogee 2 step protein treatment. I only have enough left for one treatment and this will be my last treatment. I haven't done a treatment since April as I've been incorporating protein rich conditioners in my pre-poo and it has eliminated the need for this. I just want to give the colored areas one last good shot before I let it go as I know they will benefit from it.

2) Continue to listen to my hair. I try to stretch my roller sets for 2 weeks but sometimes the curls just die or my hair starts to get really dry (usually range between day 9 to 11) so I've been doing what I call a moisture fuse treatment. DC on dry hair overnight, co-wash hair (not scalp), apply oil and leave in then do 2 goddess braids. Leave hair like this until it's time to rollerset again at the original 2 week mark. I have a recurring reminder set on my phone, so I always know when it's time. lol I used to do this a lot a few months ago and I don't know why I stopped.

Last edited:

girlonfire

Goals this month:

Setting wise
-shave my time down to 2 hours to set
-stay under the dryer for the full 2 hours
-get better at applying even tension in my rollers
-defined parting with no stray hairs

Generally
-stop straightening my hair. It's not like I'm addicted its just when my hair doesn't turn out the way i want i don't know what else to do. I don't like doing it especially with the humidity
-continue to trim. Right now i don't have a short term length goal. I just hate what lack of trimming in 1-2 years has done to my hair. I have about 6 inches in the front that needs to be trimmed but that's kinda drastic to cut it all off. i just cut 2-3 inches off 1 minute ago and my ends feel and look great! Still got 6 more inches but now we're getting somewhere!! Hoping these combs will help will breakage I'm experiencing.
-work on extended styles. I like dutch braids a lot but not with a straight part. I'll try a zig zag part. I already look 14 so maybe it won't look too odd lol. They are an arm.work out, those dutch braids
-continue my fenugreek pre poo. I have definitely seen an improvement in my hair since i started using it
-consistent deep conditioning. I'm using the Aphogee textute treatment which requires you only to keep it in for 1 minute which is awesome, so I'm more inclined to use it.

I will continue to experiment with products such as it's a 10 and perfect 7

I may introduce the inversion method just to see how it works and to see if i could use it to trim more hair at a faster pace

Last edited:

Luscious850

girlonfire lulu97

Thanks ladies!
I colored it myself. Got it from Walgreens: Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color - Auburn.

August Goals:
- Complete my weekly roller wraps

- Work on minimizing my breakage: I had a set back not too long ago... I'm really trying to whip my hair back into shape

- Finally get to using my 2 step protein treatment (I'm 2wks post relaxer)

Side note: I just incorporated grapeseed oil into my regimen and my hair is in LOOOOVE! <3

girlonfire

Hey ladies! I probably won't be doing a set till Monday or Tuesday. I've never really been a fan of straight hair. Whenever I get my hair straightened I always end up putting some kind of curl or wave in it. I tried cocoon curls 2 days ago, never took them down BC I had nowhere to go lol. But this is the result. I hope to try this on only roller set hair and if I get similar results I think it'll be a keeper!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140803_135821.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140803_135821.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20140803_140350.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140803_140350.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20140803_140445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140803_140445.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 67

Luscious850

Hey ladies! I probably won't be doing a set till Monday or Tuesday. I've never really been a fan of straight hair. Whenever I get my hair straightened I always end up putting some kind of curl or wave in it. I tried cocoon curls 2 days ago, never took them down BC I had nowhere to go lol. But this is the result. I hope to try this on only roller set hair and if I get similar results I think it'll be a keeper!

I am LOVING these curls! Absolutely beautiful. I am obsessed with loose curls, lol.

Luscious850

Did a roller wrap today, I may not set again for another 2 weeks. Going to give my hair and myself a little break. Hopefully I can make it through the week rocking my curls then transition it over to a braidout style for week 2.

girlonfire

I am LOVING these curls! Absolutely beautiful. I am obsessed with loose curls, lol.

Thanks! I adore loose curls as well ! Cocoon curls are so easy but pretty. I'll continue to experiment with curling techniques weekly or biweekly when my set has run its course.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Well got one if my August goals out the way! Under the dryer with an Aphogee 2 step protein in waiting for it to get hard. Thank the Lord I have older kids that can watch the baby while I play in my hair. lol

Oh and tell me why I have 2 huge unopened bottles of this darn Aphogee 2 step treatment? I forgot I purchased them when Sally's was having that BOGO free sale. Oh well...guess that's the universe's way of telling me to keep using it until all my relaxed ends are trimmed away. I don't use a lot of this treatment when I do it so these bottles will last me probably 3 or 4 years. lol

I'll be putting my hair back in 2 goddess braids after finishing everything and setting later in the week.

Jace032000

I've been MIA for almost two months---but I'm back! I think I'm going to roller set my hair on flexirods tonight (or tomorrow if I get lazy tonight). I bought some Carol's Daughter foaming wrap that I've been desperate to use--I'll let you know how that turns out.

girlonfire

I'm a very happy camper y'all! My combs finally came along with my new laptop!

The tail comb may be going back because I think it might be a little too fine. The double sided comb may be fine enough. The wide comb may be a little small. I only opened the double sided comb so I will see if I can detangle with just that and see if I really need the finer tooth comb.I inserted a pic of my regular detangling comb next to the 2 sided comb and the teeth spacing is very similar. Even though they're pretty nice combs my heart still aches to have put out nearly 50$ for them. Hotcombs has a no return policy. I guess I could sell used combs.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140804_170128.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140804_170128.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 31
  • ForumRunner_20140804_170230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140804_170230.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 32
  • ForumRunner_20140804_170251.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140804_170251.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 29
  • ForumRunner_20140804_171639.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140804_171639.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 34

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Two weeks post partum so I hope by next week I have the energy to set. I just bought the Nairobi foam for cheaper than the BSS by my house. I wanted the two pack for $16 but that would take time and I want it by the weekend.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Well got one if my August goals out the way! Under the dryer with an Aphogee 2 step protein in waiting for it to get hard. Thank the Lord I have older kids that can watch the baby while I play in my hair. lol Oh and tell me why I have 2 huge unopened bottles of this darn Aphogee 2 step treatment? I forgot I purchased them when Sally's was having that BOGO free sale. Oh well...guess that's the universe's way of telling me to keep using it until all my relaxed ends are trimmed away. I don't use a lot of this treatment when I do it so these bottles will last me probably 3 or 4 years. lol I'll be putting my hair back in 2 goddess braids after finishing everything and setting later in the week.

I lied! Didn't do goddess braids, went ahead and did a ponytail set while I had the energy since I also want to trim 1/2 inch. I figured the ponytail set would get my hair straight enough for it. It's been exactly 6 months since my last trim. Under the dryer now with my wine. *cheers*

Last edited: