Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Blairx0

Plan to set Monday or Tuesday...debating between curlformers and a warm flat iron or traditional rollers followed by flexi rods. hmmm

Luscious850

Update: I haven't set this week just been doing Bantu knots. My hair has been shedding like CRAAAAAAZY... I'm surprised I still have hair on my head.

girlonfire

I'm washing and setting today later in the afternoon. I'm not sure if I should try again with the curlformers of just do a ponytail set...leaning towards the ponytail set, with all 1.5 in rollers. never done all the same size before.

I'm really concerned about the breakage I've been experiencing lately. I haven't shampooed in maybe...oh lord. I think the last time i pooed was june!? but then again i think i was having breakage issues before then. hmm.It can only be 2 things causing it: 1.) i'm too rough (but how did I get to waistlength with only casual protective styling if that's the case?) or 2)deficiency somewhere. Trouble shooting hair problems can be tricky :/ My hair isn't even fine really. maybe 25% of it is. Lately I've been wondering if the rest is medium of coarse. Excessive breakage is not a traditional trait of either of the fore mentioned. I'm so confused.

My hair broke a lot during the curlformer installation process, more than with magnetic rollers. I think I'll do the ponytail set. I'll post pics later the evening.

Blairx0

I'm washing and setting today later in the afternoon. I'm not sure if I should try again with the curlformers of just do a ponytail set...leaning towards the ponytail set, with all 1.5 in rollers. never done all the same size before.

I'm really concerned about the breakage I've been experiencing lately. I haven't shampooed in maybe...oh lord. I think the last time i pooed was june!? but then again i think i was having breakage issues before then. hmm.It can only be 2 things causing it: 1.) i'm too rough (but how did I get to waistlength with only casual protective styling if that's the case?) or 2)deficiency somewhere. Trouble shooting hair problems can be tricky :/ My hair isn't even fine really. maybe 25% of it is. Lately I've been wondering if the rest is medium of coarse. Excessive breakage is not a traditional trait of either of the fore mentioned. I'm so confused.

My hair broke a lot during the curlformer installation process, more than with magnetic rollers. I think I'll do the ponytail set. I'll post pics later the evening.

That hook can be deadly if you don't use extreme care. Are you sure it is breakage and not shedding? My hair sheds a lot, but only suffers breakage when I am either rough or it is unbalanced.

sexypebbly

Do you do any protein treatments?

girlonfire

That hook can be deadly if you don't use extreme care. Are you sure it is breakage and not shedding? My hair sheds a lot, but only suffers breakage when I am either rough or it is unbalanced.

True dat! I'm sure it's breakage because it's very short hairs from my ends with no bulb

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Another vote for protein. I would clarify first then do a protein treatment. If the breakage is not horrible maybe try the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor or whatever protein rich conditioner you have.

girlonfire

Do you do any protein treatments?

I have never tried one, but I've heard of them. I've been quite scared to try one actually because I've read that medium and coarse hair don't need as much protein as fine, but my hair is usually soft but it's breaking a lot so protein is all that's left to do.

I hear that aphogee has a good one. What say ye?

Blairx0

I plan to start my wash process this evening. I want to do both a mositure and protein DC.
girlonfire I have fine hair so protein is a must for me, but i have never used Aphogee as my protein DC

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I have never tried one, but I've heard of them. I've been quite scared to try one actually because I've read that medium and coarse hair don't need as much protein as fine, but my hair is usually soft but it's breaking a lot so protein is all that's left to do. I hear that aphogee has a good one. What say ye?

I have medium to thick strands. You don't need protein as much but you do need it.

Aphogee is good. I would try the 2 minute and if there is still breakage then try something harder.

girlonfire

Thanks everyone! I changed my mind about roller setting today. I'll pick up the Aphogee 2 min. tomorrow afternoon, then roller set and post pics. I think I'll go with a magnetic set for sure.

sexypebbly

I have medium to thick strands. You don't need protein as much but you do need it.

Aphogee is good. I would try the 2 minute and if there is still breakage then try something harder.

I agree with Saludable. You don't need much but you do need it. And it sounds like you need some protein. Aphogee is a protein to start with.

girlonfire

So i'm doing some light research on the aphogee and I find a fork in the road. There are supposedly 2 protein based products that they make. One is keratin 2 minute and the other one is protein 2 step. should I get the one that says protein?

sexypebbly

So i'm doing some light research on the aphogee and I find a fork in the road. There are supposedly 2 protein based products that they make. One is keratin 2 minute and the other one is protein 2 step. should I get the one that says protein?

Get the keratin 2 minute

Blairx0

You know when you have so much energy you think to yourself " i should just set my hair now!"

Well that is how you end up under the dryer at midnight . Sigh. When will I learn?

Blairx0

My set was a bust. Too much of my prepoo oil remained and thus my hair wouldn't dry. I have it on some flexi robs right now and will deal with it come morning.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Used the Nairobi. The jury is still out on it. I think because I did a protein treatment, it came out stiff. Next time i set, I'm hoping for different results.

girlonfire

What do you ladies think of her roller setting pattern?
Frizz-Free Straightening with Carol's Daughter Mo…: http://youtu.be/Aj7R0qigX2k

I think she did that so that the model would have a style right out of the gate rather than having to create one. Does what I said make sense?

Also I think parting at an angle may yield better results for people have hair that isn't all one length. I don't know that to be a fact, I'm just reasoning.

I may try that one of these days.