Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Day 8 of my flexi set. It's getting a little frizzy, so up in a bun she goes until wash day next week. Here's how I've been wearing it the last few days. That's actually a poor excuse of a french braid going up into the bun. Heyyyyyy I tried. lol

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Getting ready to do a magnetic roller set. Currently under my dryer with a combo of tresemme flawless curls and nunaats brazilian green keratin deep condish. I learned a lot this wash, excitement!! I'll be using purple magnetics about 1.5in. I could use the Greg 2 in but those don't have covers and I forgot to buy clips, *sigh* wish me luck, first magnetic set this year!

Good luck Lady!!!! Let us know how it turns out.

girlonfire

So it took me about 5 hours to roller set my hair...I don't know if this is going to fit into my schedule because I don't always have 5 plus ours to play with, especially now that I'm looking for work. How do you ladies manage? Can anyone in here with WL hair get the process done and get under the dryer in 3 hours? If I could get it down to 3 hours that would be fantastic!

Under the dryer right now, been under here for 40 or so minutes, my hair always takes 2 hours to dry under the dryer. I've got church in the morning @ 9. I'll probably be done by 1:30 am est. I hope this set is cute be I have to look fabulous @ church.

I used the Shea moisture curl and style milk, not because I wanted to but it is all I have for a moisturizer ATM BC I joined this challenge on a whim. It has a lot of oils not sure if that's good or bad in this case.

Anyone use kanechom?

Blairx0

girlonfire

Does that 5 hours include dry time? What kind of rollers are you using?

I am natural with dense, nearly mbl hair and while it takes my hair on magnetics 2 hours to dry it only takes me 45 mins to roll if my DC did its job. Maybe it is a mixture of product and technique slowing you down?

Blairx0

lulu97

I like the braided up bun. Have also wanted to try that style, bit without color my hair doesn't look as crisp in the French braid, but I will have to work on getting tighter since I don't have color to add that extra dimension. It looks great on you!

girlonfire

girlonfire

Does that 5 hours include dry time? What kind of rollers are you using?

I am natural with dense, nearly mbl hair and while it takes my hair on magnetics 2 hours to dry it only takes me 45 mins to roll if my DC did its job. Maybe it is a mixture of product and technique slowing you down?

No all 5 hours were dedicated to rolling. I used magnetic rollers today. It could be my DC wasn't up to par, I never cared for it all that much. I used Shea moisture curl milk as a leave in. Idk if that's good or bad.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
girlonfire What do you think was slowing you down? Maybe detangling? Your technique?

I'm also waist length and I think it takes me around 45 mins to an hour for magnetic rollers. And that includes detangling 80% natural hair with super tangly relaxed ends that like to stick together like glue.

It may be you need another leave in with better slip or you may just get faster the more you practice :)

girlonfire

Ok I'll use the deal my hair actually ended up drying in about an hour and a half which was nice. I actually forgot to take pictures so I started to take the rollers out good thing I only took out about six before I realized what I was doing. In the attached photos I put them back in to show you all how I put them in my patterns

ForumRunner_20140720_005812.jpg

ForumRunner_20140720_005826.jpg

And here are the results. I have to say they are much more impressive than the last roller set for did my freshman year of highschool lol

ForumRunner_20140720_011326.jpg

ForumRunner_20140720_011353.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140720_005837.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140720_005837.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 42
  • ForumRunner_20140720_011341.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140720_011341.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20140720_011409.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140720_011409.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 54

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Ok I'll use the deal my hair actually ended up drying in about an hour and a half which was nice. I actually forgot to take pictures so I started to take the rollers out good thing I only took out about six before I realized what I was doing. In the attached photos I put them back in to show you all how I put them in my patterns And here are the results. I have to say they are much more impressive than the last roller set for did my freshman year of highschool lol

It's really pretty!!!! You did good Lady! I love it :)

girlonfire

girlonfire What do you think was slowing you down? Maybe detangling? Your technique?

I'm also waist length and I think it takes me around 45 mins to an hour for magnetic rollers. And that includes detangling 80% natural hair with super tangly relaxed ends that like to stick together like glue.

It may be you need another leave in with better slip or you may just get faster the more you practice :)

I made sure to do a thorough detangling in the shower (probably the most thorough to date really) I think it was possible my parting sucked. I need practice getting the hair to stay in the middle BC I ran into this problem several times where I had to re roll BC when I put the cover over the hair, the hair would slide off to the edge, so frustrating! I read somewhere that you must keep your un rolled hair wet at all times and I did that as best I could but when you spent 15 mins trying to get certain rollers straight the time gets away. So in a sense detangling was a problem because when the hair dried up I had to re wet it and comb through again.

What's your choice of leave in?

girlonfire

It's really pretty!!!! You did good Lady! I love it :)

Thanks! That means so much coming from you! Ive admired your sets since I before I joined this challenge, when I was lurking back in January lol. I learned something in not using the 2 in rollers. The 2 in do not come with covers and the covers on the rollers do not only secure the hair but it gets the roots straight! I'm not sure I could get the save results if I use clips to secure instead. Do you use clips?

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I made sure to do a thorough detangling in the shower (probably the most thorough to date really) I think it was possible my parting sucked. I need practice getting the hair to stay in the middle BC I ran into this problem several times where I had to re roll BC when I put the cover over the hair, the hair would slide off to the edge, so frustrating! I read somewhere that you must keep your un rolled hair wet at all times and I did that as best I could but when you spent 15 mins trying to get certain rollers straight the time gets away. So in a sense detangling was a problem because when the hair dried up I had to re wet it and comb through again.

What's your choice of leave in?

Do you section your hair off before you start? That might help. If using magnetics, I do a center section and two vertical sections on each side to keep my parts in line. Then, I can part with my fingers because the individual roller parts aren't as important.

Now that I use Curlformers, I do one on each side and two in the back because I set my hair different with curlformers

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I made sure to do a thorough detangling in the shower (probably the most thorough to date really) I think it was possible my parting sucked. I need practice getting the hair to stay in the middle BC I ran into this problem several times where I had to re roll BC when I put the cover over the hair, the hair would slide off to the edge, so frustrating! I read somewhere that you must keep your un rolled hair wet at all times and I did that as best I could but when you spent 15 mins trying to get certain rollers straight the time gets away. So in a sense detangling was a problem because when the hair dried up I had to re wet it and comb through again. What's your choice of leave in?

I love It's a 10 leave in. I've used it for years and each time I think of stopping, I use it again and fall back in love all over. It's really good for magnetic rollers because the slip is banana's, it's light yet moisturizing and allows the hair to dry faster if you use it alone.

I've recently started using a tiny amount if Giovanni Direct leave in, in addition to the it's a 10 and Giiiiiirrrrrrlllll I be in slip city just living it up. It does make drying time a tad longer but the moisture and slip these two give together is well worth it. Water in a spray bottle activates the slippage (I just made that word up I think) so keep one close.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks! That means so much coming from you! Ive admired your sets since I before I joined this challenge, when I was lurking back in January lol. I learned something in not using the 2 in rollers. The 2 in do not come with covers and the covers on the rollers do not only secure the hair but it gets the roots straight! I'm not sure I could get the save results if I use clips to secure instead. Do you use clips?

Awww thank you! Your hair is lovely and I'm looking forward to us giving each other tips along the road.

If I use the pink (1 3/4 inch) rollers, I use the snap on cap they come with in addition to metal clips.

If I use the grey (2 inch) rollers, I just use the metal clips.

For the most part, if I'm doing a magnetic set: I use grey rollers for the back and sides and pink for the crown/bang layered area and I place the rollers in the mohawk style.

If I do a pony tail set, I use all pink and just throw those bad boys in any which way they will fit.

girlonfire

I love It's a 10 leave in. I've used it for years and each time I think of stopping, I use it again and fall back in love all over. It's really good for magnetic rollers because the slip is banana's, it's light yet moisturizing and allows the hair to dry faster if you use it alone.

I've recently started using a tiny amount if Giovanni Direct leave in, in addition to the it's a 10 and Giiiiiirrrrrrlllll I be in slip city just living it up. It does make drying time a tad longer but the moisture and slip these two give together is well worth it. Water in a spray bottle activates the slippage (I just made that word up I think) so keep one close.

I think I'll try my setting lotion with a sample of the mixed chicks leave in before I decide to sell my Shea moisture. Give it one last go. The cream of nature lotion gives a nice hold when you use enough of it alone, which is like 2 pump per roller, but then it flakes! I was playing with my hair last night and had gold dandruff looking stuff all over my black shirt. I'm really anxious to see your results with your new lotion, will you be diluting it?

Ive been eyeing its a 10 for the longest now. There was a sale on amazon a few months ago and I let it slip through my fingers. Have you tried and other its a 10 products? Their silk line intrigues me. I tried Giovanni years ago and I remember liking it but I used the entire bottle in 2 weeks, can you say heavy handed lol. I think I'll try it again. Were those 2 the only products you would use in your hair when setting?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I think I'll try my setting lotion with a sample of the mixed chicks leave in before I decide to sell my Shea moisture. Give it one last go. The cream of nature lotion gives a nice hold when you use enough of it alone, which is like 2 pump per roller, but then it flakes! I was playing with my hair last night and had gold dandruff looking stuff all over my black shirt. I'm really anxious to see your results with your new lotion, will you be diluting it? Ive been eyeing its a 10 for the longest now. There was a sale on amazon a few months ago and I let it slip through my fingers. Have you tried and other its a 10 products? Their silk line intrigues me. I tried Giovanni years ago and I remember liking it but I used the entire bottle in 2 weeks, can you say heavy handed lol. I think I'll try it again. Were those 2 the only products you would use in your hair when setting?

Yes Girl, I'm anxious to see how that Nairobi is going to turn out too!!! I will probably wash Wends or Thurs so I'll be sure to post my results when I do. I wont be diluting it, just going to start off maybe using a small amount per flexi rod and taking the next few months to experiment and evaluate. I have been using the Carol's Daughter Macadamia foam and I was using a full pump per flexi rod and I think that was too much because the back rollers would have a small amount of flaking so I plan to be a little less heavy handed with the Nairobi. I feel like the Carol's Daughter was my learning foam since I've never been one to use a "holding product" so it has been good practice.

I haven't tried any of the It's a 10 products other than the leave in. I used to get the little sample packs of the deep conditioner wrapped around the necks of the the leave in but I used to just throw them away. One of our setting sisters toaster has used almost the entire line and she loves it. If the other products are anything like the leave in, I'm sure they are great! I usually purchase mine from Target when they have their BOGO free on salon products. I plan on getting the leave in with keratin next time around.

During my early years of setting, I used to use It's a 10 and Carol's Daughter serum to set. I ditched the CD after 2 bottles cause of the alcohol in it and was only using the it's a 10 for a few months. Now I've kinda graduated to the following:

For flexi sets or when I want a soft hold:

I section and use it's a 10 and while that's marinating and soaking away tangles, I'll go back through each section and add a small amount of Giovanni Direct and then finally a foam (then roller) until each section is complete.
So It's a 10, Giovanni then foam

For magnetic sets:
I follow the same except for the foam.
It's a 10, Giovanni then Moroccan Oil serum.
I may experiment with using the foam in the fall but my magnetic sets don't stand a chance for hold now. I live in Cali and we are constantly at the beach, pool, lake etc so hold is laughable. My flexi sets can withhold all that now since the curls are a lot tighter. I usually bantu knot (traditional sets) or pin curl (ponytail sets) and that will give me a temporary hold after the magnetic rollers have been removed.

Sorry for the book reply but you'll soon see that I'm a tad long winded. I really just like to make sure I answer as detailed as possible. I hate when I ask people questions and they give an answer and I'm like WHET....you didn't answer what I wanted but ooookkkkk then. lol

Last edited:

girlonfire

Do you section your hair off before you start? That might help. If using magnetics, I do a center section and two vertical sections on each side to keep my parts in line. Then, I can part with my fingers because the individual roller parts aren't as important.

Now that I use Curlformers, I do one on each side and two in the back because I set my hair different with curlformers

Yeah I made sure of that BC even with natural styles I have ducky parting and my scalp can't take it I'll go crazy. I even section before washing and then further define the part before I roll. I roll the traditional way with the Mohawk and the her vertical sides . I part according to the length of the roller. I will try making more narrow parts.
Curlformers make me sad lol I have the same problem where my parts are too big and even when I think I get it small enough it won't go through sometimes and that takes just as long as the rollers

girlonfire

Awww thank you! Your hair is lovely and I'm looking forward to us giving each other tips along the road.

If I use the pink (1 3/4 inch) rollers, I use the snap on cap they come with in addition to metal clips.

If I use the grey (2 inch) rollers, I just use the metal clips.

For the most part, if I'm doing a magnetic set: I use grey rollers for the back and sides and pink for the crown/bang layered area and I place the rollers in the mohawk style.

If I do a pony tail set, I use all pink and just throw those bad boys in any which way they will fit.

Preciate the love! Okay that might help me with my sliding problem! So it turns out that the rollers I thought were 1.5in are actually 1 3/4. I'm going to try putting the 1 3/4in cover on the 2 in. AND the clips to see if I get straight roots that way.

girlonfire

Yes Girl, I'm anxious to see how that Nairobi is going to turn out too!!! I will probably wash Wends or Thurs so I'll be sure to post my results when I do. I wont be diluting it, just going to start off maybe using a small amount per flexi rod and taking the next few months to experiment and evaluate. I have been using the Carol's Daughter Macadamia foam and I was using a full pump per flexi rod and I think that was too much because the back rollers would have a small amount of flaking so I plan to be a little less heavy handed with the Nairobi. I feel like the Carol's Daughter was my learning foam since I've never been one to use a "holding product" so it has been good practice.

I haven't tried any of the It's a 10 products other than the leave in. I used to get the little sample packs of the deep conditioner wrapped around the necks of the the leave in but I used to just throw them away. One of our setting sisters toaster has used almost the entire line and she loves it. If the other products are anything like the leave in, I'm sure they are great! I usually purchase mine from Target when they have their BOGO free on salon products. I plan on getting the leave in with keratin next time around.

During my early years of setting, I used to use It's a 10 and Carol's Daughter serum to set. I ditched the CD after 2 bottles cause of the alcohol in it and was only using the it's a 10 for a few months. Now I've kinda graduated to the following:

For flexi sets or when I want a soft hold:

I section and use it's a 10 and while that's marinating and soaking away tangles, I'll go back through each section and add a small amount of Giovanni Direct and then finally a foam (then roller) until each section is complete.
So It's a 10, Giovanni then foam

For magnetic sets:
I follow the same except for the foam.
It's a 10, Giovanni then Moroccan Oil serum.
I may experiment with using the foam in the fall but my magnetic sets don't stand a chance for hold now. I live in Cali and we are constantly at the beach, pool, lake etc so hold is laughable. My flexi sets can withhold all that now since the curls are a lot tighter. I usually bantu knot (traditional sets) or pin curl (ponytail sets) and that will give me a temporary hold after the magnetic rollers have been removed.

Sorry for the book reply but you'll soon see that I'm a tad long winded. I really just like to make sure I answer as detailed as possible. I hate when I ask people questions and they give an answer and I'm like WHET....you didn't answer what I wanted but ooookkkkk then. lol

No need to apologize! I love long winded and detailed answers. I was going to ask you how to combat humidity but I got my answer lol my set looked nice for about an hour last night then it all went to the garbage. The humidity in GA is real. I guess I'll have to use another roller BC I highly doubt my magnetic sets will last in this weather.

I wanna try flexy rods but I'm looking to try larger sizes. Do you wrap your hair flat on the rod or do you twirl the hair then wrap?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I swear I have struggled with finding a store bought moisturizer that I like. Either they are too heavy, too light or leave my strands stuck together. I had even went so far as to using regular conditioner straight up out the bottle as a moisturizer but I find that over time, it starts to make my hair smell a tad sour from continuously applying without washing it out. Well I just said *** it and I've been on a quest this entire year to make my own.

I have tested this mix out on roller set hair, flexi rod set hair, straight hair and my curly hair in it's natural state and it works universally well for all. One spritz in the hand...rub together then apply. My naturally curly hair is thirsty so 4-5 spritz's in the hand works best. Maybe this mix will work for you guys as well! It's light enough to not weigh down your roller set hair but moisturizing enough to get the job done. I will NEVER search for a different moisturizer! Oh yeah, I keep it in the fridge because of the AVJ.

Moisture mix consists of
*Roughly 50% Heritage rosewater & glycerin spritz
*Roughly 20% Aloe vera juice
* Roughly 20% conditioner (preferably one labeled as a moisturizing deep conditioner or one for color treated hair as I find they are the most moisturizing I've come across)
*Roughly 10% oil (alternate between Argan, macadamia, avocado or jojoba oil....whichever one I have on hand is what I use...shoot if I have all, I'll use equal amounts of all. However, I've tested them all out alone and they all work well. Although I love coconut oil, I prefer not to use it in this mix as it seems to make the mix too cloudy/thick and I have a hard time getting it out the spray bottle. No matter how little I use, it wont mesh well with everything else)

P.S. I've also used this as a pre-poo/detangler and LAWD it's good as the AVJ gives it the ultimate slip. I've used it as a leave in and it's the bomb for when you are NOT using heat. I believe the AVJ & glycerin does not mesh well with sitting under the dryer with rollers and it did make my hair a tad hard upon take down. It's bomb for other non-heat styles when you plan on air drying (which I do not do often). Wet buns, braid outs, twistouts etc.*

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
No need to apologize! I love long winded and detailed answers. I was going to ask you how to combat humidity but I got my answer lol my set looked nice for about an hour last night then it all went to the garbage. The humidity in GA is real. I guess I'll have to use another roller BC I highly doubt my magnetic sets will last in this weather.

I wanna try flexy rods but I'm looking to try larger sizes. Do you wrap your hair flat on the rod or do you twirl the hair then wrap?

I know what you mean! I'm from GA and if I happen to visit in the summer, my sets stay up in a bun! lol

Oh and I wrap my hair flat on the flexi rod. I start from the ends and work my way up to the roots. I've seen a few tutorials of people starting from the top and working their way down the flexi rod so I also want to try that technique as well.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Apparently I cant count cause the moisture mix recipe equates to 110% when I was trying to give 100! lol But overall you want more liquid than anything else...just eyeball it.

Fixed the original post to equal out to 100

Last edited:

Blairx0

My excuse for not setting was I was out of flax seed gel. So two days ago I put The seeds in the bowl with the water to let them soak overnight.

Fast forward to today and they are still sitting there. They have nearly made gel by themselves. Sigh. I need to get it together. I am set to have brunch with the man's family and my hair must be done.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm doing flexi rods weekly and loving them! I usually post my wash day hair on Wednesday's on my blog. Here's a preview of tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 72

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Can you say best.flexi.set.yet?!!!!

Man that Nairobi is everything people say it is plus more. I have a butt load of shine, a soft hold and only used about 1/3 pump per flexi rod. I'm not sure I can blame all the shine on the Nairobi as I've incorporated aloe vera juice in my reggie but I'll def keep using both. My natural hair even seems darker and my colored areas lighter. My search for a foam wrap is over! Even my roots are straighter than usual...well that could be my technique is improving. I guess 4 tries is a charm. I slept in a pineapple as usual.

Last edited:

girlonfire

Can you say best.flexi.set.yet?!!!!

Man that Nairobi is everything people say it is plus more. I have a butt load of shine, a soft hold and only used about 1/3 pump per flexi rod. I'm not sure I can blame all the shine on the Nairobi as I've incorporated aloe vera juice in my reggie but I'll def keep using both. My natural hair even seems darker and my colored areas lighter. My search for a foam wrap is over! Even my roots are straighter than usual...well that could be my technique is improving. I guess 4 tries is a charm. I slept in a pineapple as usual.

Fabulous !! This set gives me so much life!!