Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I like the smoothness.

At least with rollersetting, you would flatiron with super high heat.

Thanks! My roots are still puffy, but such is the natural hair lfe. I had my flat iron at like 300 and was doing small sections. I then gave up and cranked it up to 400 degree but did on pass on HUGE sections ( I did the entire right side of my head in three sections. I am too lazy to flat iron

Thanks! My roots are still puffy, but such is the natural hair lfe. I had my flat iron at like 300 and was doing small sections. I then gave up and cranked it up to 400 degree but did on pass on HUGE sections ( I did the entire right side of my head in three sections. I am too lazy to flat iron

I meant to say wouldn't :lol:

Debating on if I want to do a flexi rod set or a traditional set this weekend. It will be 4th of July weekend...parades, bbq's, carnival & fireworks. Nevermind...flexi's win....they will keep my hair off my shoulders so I can enjoy the festivities without my hair all in the way.

I surely thought this CD macadamia foam had alcohol & protein in it, but it has neither. I was mistaking it for her serum on the website. This foam has some good stuff in it...even honey, no wonder it leaves my hair so nice. Gonna keep using it until I can get off my bum and look for the Nairobi.

I finally tried out the Sally's all purpose metal clips that slide on all the way. They are amazing! It cut down my set time because the ends of the clips weren't getting in my way.

image-2588996562.jpg

Changed my mind about the flexi's when I saw that bantu wrap tutorial posted in a thread somewhere on the board around here. I wanna try it and I need my roots straight to do it, so I did a ponytail roller set today.

After I got from under the dryer; I didn't want to take down the ponytails and risk that area not being dry, so I left the ponytails in and pin curled the curls. I'll take it all down tomorrow.

Side note: I didn't realize that I have so much natural hair! Looks like most of the relaxer is in the front from the bob cut I had when I first decided to grow out my relaxer. Still not cutting it though! lol

Last edited:
alove15 I have some of these mixed in with my regular duckbill clips. The sally's ones are so mich better!

lulu97 nice roller placement! It is I good idea to use the pre defined ponytails to pin curl. I am sure it sill come out lovely

Hi girls, I know I haven't been on here in a while. I've been really busy lately, but I have continued setting and thought I'd check in today :) I've been doing naptural85's flexirod technique a lot on my old Curlformer sets. Haven't done a perm rod set in forever because they take too long to air dry and I cannot sit under the dryer in this heat. Here's my flexirod set yesterday-
image.jpg

Not much has changed in my routine really. I started stretching out my washes a couple more weeks, since my schedule has been hectic lately but I think I may go back to weekly washes and DCs. So nothing groundbreaking or new, no new products, that's why I haven't updated as much. I can't wait til October tho so I can get my CWK plates and share my results. Til then, it's Curlformers & flexirods. Wash & repeat.

Hey Rolla-Gals! I've been on a bit of a setting break since I got my wash n' go thing together and started doing Mega-Tek followed by co-washes everyday. Edges filled in, NG coming in smooth and all that -- all the stuff you read in the other threads re MT. I keep seeing post by people with W n' G regime who use a MT mix everyday. Here's what I want to know: if you are roller setting and using MT, how are you incorporating it into your regime? Using as a DC only and washing out before setting? If you are applying a mix everyday to, e.g. your scalp only, what's in your mix? All replies are appreciated; I'm particularly interested in the mix used by those who aren't bone-straight. My concerns as tex-lax who is probably moving towards totally natural: root reversion because of the water in MT and/or yucky texture because of too much oil, white residue, etc. And of course, you know I wanna know your results. (I keep hearing people say that they don't get dramatic growth results when they use MT as a DC versus a daily mix.)

Happy Fourth Everyone -- hope you're out there with your hair swinging!!!!

lulu97 -- hi there, perhaps I missed it because I haven't been on here in a while but where did you get those large-size pink snap-ons?

Changed my mind about the flexi's when I saw that bantu wrap tutorial posted in a thread somewhere on the board around here. I wanna try it and I need my roots straight to do it, so I did a ponytail roller set today.

After I got from under the dryer; I didn't want to take down the ponytails and risk that area not being dry, so I left the ponytails in and pin curled the curls. I'll take it all down tomorrow.

Side note: I didn't realize that I have so much natural hair! Looks like most of the relaxer is in the front from the bob cut I had when I first decided to grow out my relaxer. Still not cutting it though! lol

Hey Rolla-Gals! I've been on a bit of a setting break since I got my wash n' go thing together and started doing Mega-Tek followed by co-washes everyday. Edges filled in, NG coming in smooth and all that -- all the stuff you read in the other threads re MT. I keep seeing post by people with W n' G regime who use a MT mix everyday. Here's what I want to know: if you are roller setting and using MT, how are you incorporating it into your regime? Using as a DC only and washing out before setting? If you are applying a mix everyday to, e.g. your scalp only, what's in your mix? All replies are appreciated; I'm particularly interested in the mix used by those who aren't bone-straight. My concerns as tex-lax who is probably moving towards totally natural: root reversion because of the water in MT and/or yucky texture because of too much oil, white residue, etc. And of course, you know I wanna know your results. (I keep hearing people say that they don't get dramatic growth results when they use MT as a DC versus a daily mix.) Happy Fourth Everyone -- hope you're out there with your hair swinging!!!!

When I used to use it on my scalp, I was just sure to use it closer to wash days and only once or twice within that time. I didn't have any issues with it. But my MT wasn't watery though I did add water to dilute it. I got ok results. Never used it as a DC though.

I didnt get a chance to take hair pics today. Hubby and the kids were rushing me to try and get to the parade/carnival on time this morning. By the time we got home, any curl I had was ka-put and vanished, and my hair is hella dry from being out in the sun all day. I've moisturized and put it in 3 bantu knots for a few days. Bout to enjoy this food off the grill and sit in my front yard and watch the fireworks. Happy 4th my roller setting e-sisters!

I wanted to set on magnetic rollers today, but my dc session was a disaster. Im just going to sleep in flexirods instead :(

I mixed nexxus emergencee with nexxus humectress and it got all clumpy (like cholesterol). This is why I don't mix things :lol: I need to buy more Keracare Humecto for dcing. It was great all by itself :yep:

I set today. Need to clarify because I saw broken hairs. Not many but enough to let me know. I used magnetic rollers and it was a breeze. I put it in a high bun because I just didn't feel like it. For real, but it's been a while since I had a nice set like today.

Yesterday I decided to set with my magnetic rollers instead of my mesh rollers for a sleeker set. This set came out great. My ends looked so sleek. I lightly flat ironed afterwards and I plan on trimming tomorrow once I find my scissors. My hair came out extremely moisturized and I believe that is due to steaming my hair twice yesterday.

Mannnnnn being out in the sun all day on the 4th did a number on my hair. It is coco crispy dry...Sahara desert dry...Captain crunch dry...I mean parched!!!!! Never have I ever had my hair feel like this! So I had to give my hair some deep conditioning love today..moisturizing was not enough. My style was fly but no style is worth the health of my hair. I'm not a fan of co-washing but I'll def be cowashing/deep conditioning every 3-4 days to get my moisture level back up until my next real shampoo wash day in 2 weeks. I'll set at that time but until then, I'll be in braids and curly buns.

Last edited:
Yesterday I decided to set with my magnetic rollers instead of my mesh rollers for a sleeker set. This set came out great. My ends looked so sleek. I lightly flat ironed afterwards and I plan on trimming tomorrow once I find my scissors. My hair came out extremely moisturized and I believe that is due to steaming my hair twice yesterday.

I will be steaming twice today too! I need some of that extremely moisturized feeling hair like you Girl!

I need to get back to setting in the worse way. Sigh. Let me go oil my scalp and make this bun last til the weekend

On Wednesday I deep conditioned with ORS Hair Mayo & Olive Oil. I added a tsp of salt to the conditioner, which by the way made my hair extremely soft. Then I decided to set my hair with magnetic rollers because I wanted sleek ends. I have a patch of hair in the back of my head that has rough ends so I figured that the magnetic rollers could get it sleek and smooth. As well as I decided to try to go without using setting lotion. BIG MISTAKE for my hair. My end results of the set consisted of limp, sleek, stiff and greasy hair. I washed my hair the next day and setted with my curlformers. I used Nairobi Wrap Lotion. My hair came out soft and bouncy.

I believe the reason why the first set did not go so well was because I did not use setting lotion and I did not rinse my deep conditioner out properly.

I plan on trying magnetic rollers again because it got my ends super smooth but I definitely need to rinse out my deep conditioner and add setting lotion.

On Wednesday I deep conditioned with ORS Hair Mayo & Olive Oil. I added a tsp of salt to the conditioner, which by the way made my hair extremely soft. Then I decided to set my hair with magnetic rollers because I wanted sleek ends. I have a patch of hair in the back of my head that has rough ends so I figured that the magnetic rollers could get it sleek and smooth. As well as I decided to try to go without using setting lotion. BIG MISTAKE for my hair. My end results of the set consisted of limp, sleek, stiff and greasy hair. I washed my hair the next day and setted with my curlformers. I used Nairobi Wrap Lotion. My hair came out soft and bouncy.

I believe the reason why the first set did not go so well was because I did not use setting lotion and I did not rinse my deep conditioner out properly.

I plan on trying magnetic rollers again because it got my ends super smooth but I definitely need to rinse out my deep conditioner and add setting lotion.

What exactly does the salt do to the conditioner?

I went to 2 beauty supply stores yesterday looking for that Nairobi foam and came out empty handed. The last one I went to called it's sister store across town (mind you 30 minutes away...yes my city is huge) and they had one bottle. I was not about to waste anymore gas so I ordered some from Amazon...a 8 oz bottle and a 32 oz bottle to refill the 8 oz bottle with. I was hoping to find some on the ground for my flexi rod set today but oh well...it will be here in 3 days so I'll use it for my next set. I better like this stuff!!!!

I cut my hair into an a line bob yesterday! The front layers are shoulder length and the back is neck length. I'm still figuring out the roller placement/size in the back so the ends flip the right way. Y'all are making me want to try out the Nairobi wrap foam lol. Does anyone know how it compares to Jane Carter Wrap and Roll?

I went to 2 beauty supply stores yesterday looking for that Nairobi foam and came out empty handed. The last one I went to called it's sister store across town (mind you 30 minutes away...yes my city is huge) and they had one bottle. I was not about to waste anymore gas so I ordered some from Amazon...a 8 oz bottle and a 32 oz bottle to refill the 8 oz bottle with. I was hoping to find some on the ground for my flexi rod set today but oh well...it will be here in 3 days so I'll use it for my next set. I better like this stuff!!!!

Stop!!!!!!! I'm trying not to buy it.

I cut my hair into an a line bob yesterday! The front layers are shoulder length and the back is neck length. I'm still figuring out the roller placement/size in the back so the ends flip the right way. Y'all are making me want to try out the Nairobi wrap foam lol. Does anyone know how it compares to Jane Carter Wrap and Roll?

I have both wrap lotions and I prefer Nairobi to Jane Carter. I find that the curls last longer. Non of them flake or are drying. It's just that Nairobi holds styles longer

Back