Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

toaster

After seeing these pictures I've totally abandoned my wash and go plans for the weekend and can't wait to set on Friday morning!! I'm off for a week in two weeks so I'll have about 10 days to experiment with wash and go's.

GettingKinky

I'm starting to get geared up for my rollerset this weekend. Usually I only put Chi Silk infusion and LottaBody on my hair. I'm wording it I should add a leave in like DB daily leave in or DB transitioning cream. On the on hand I like my bounce and shine with my current technique. But maybe adding a leave in will make it even better. Decisions....

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Blairx0 the set looks good! I need to definitely try that preservation method.

ETA: I also want to try using the covers from a smaller set of rollers. The purple ones I find to be too loose to get good enough tension.

Last edited:

brownb83

My sets have been awesome! I have my setting time down to 30 mins and my i have been tucking my semi straight hair into a small bonnet and it stays straight.

toaster

So this is probably obvious to everyone already, but when I finger comb my roller set out, it just looks... kind of crazy. But if I moisturize and seal it afterwards, and put it in two chunky twists pinned up (not flat twists, because I don't know how) I have the cutest loose beach waves in the morning. It doesn't go all the way up to my scalp (obviously) but they're cute.

I bet if I tried I could do a cute bantu knot out or braid out on the roller set hair.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Early this year, I made a list of about 5 things I wanted to accomplish with my hair. One of those things were to attempt a silk roller wrap and another one was to perfect my straightening technique. Little did I know that those two things would go hand in hand. I did a silk wrap and it got my hair straight y'all!!!

I loved this technique so much that it will be what I use from here on out when I want to wear my hair straight! I don't know what took me so long to try it!!!

Pic 1: Products I used, from left to right in the order that I used them. My stylist also use this MoroccanOil line on my hair when I get it pressed at the salon and the products always leave my hair feeling like a piece of heaven. If you are heavy handed, then these products are not for you. They are extremely concentrated so you don't need a lot....plus they are hella expensive so you would literally be wasting your money. I washed and conditioned in the shower, deep conditioned under my steamer then applied it's a 10 leave in before roller setting

Pic 2: Since I knew I would be wrapping my hair, I paid more attention in the direction I was rolling. For example: when I wrap my hair, I comb all hair from the crown of my head forward. So when I rolled the crown areas, I placed the hair on top of the roller and rolled under so the hair would fall forward.

Pic 3: After sitting under dryer for one hour, I applied a dime size amount of the MoroccanOil serum then flat ironed the roots on 340 with my Babyliss Pro. I then applied a tiny amount of Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, finger combed out the curls, wrapped it up and secured with saran wrap. I sat under the dryer for 15-20 minutes then let it cool down before removing the saran wrap.

Pic 4 Results: Straight hair with plenty of body! (They were taken in 2 different rooms so I'm assuming that's why the lighting is different)
No it's not bone straight, but it's good enough for me. The only direct heat I used was when I flat ironed the roots. I didn't have to blowfry, use heat on the length or ends of my hair nor use a curling iron. She won!!!!!

Pic 5: A straight hair's nightmare...a rain forecast!!!!! I've already wrapped my hair back up and I wont be wearing it down till Monday when the rain clears up. I'll just throw on a cute beanie when I go out until then. I'm sure my hair will be even better and straighter when I take it down too!

Last edited:

rririla

Early this year, I made a list of about 5 things I wanted to accomplish with my hair. One of those things were to attempt a silk roller wrap and another one was to perfect my straightening technique. Little did I know that those two things would go hand in hand. I did a silk wrap and it got my hair straight y'all!!! I loved this technique so much that it will be what I use from here on out when I want to wear my hair straight! I don't know what took me so long to try it!!! Pic 1: Products I used, from left to right in the order that I used them. My stylist also use this MoroccanOil line on my hair when I get it pressed at the salon and the products always leave my hair feeling like a piece of heaven. If you are heavy handed, then these products are not for you. They are extremely concentrated so you don't need a lot....plus they are hella expensive so you would literally be wasting your money. I washed and conditioned in the shower, deep conditioned under my steamer then applied it's a 10 leave in before roller setting Pic 2: Since I knew I would be wrapping my hair, I paid more attention in the direction I was rolling. For example: when I wrap my hair, I comb all hair from the crown of my head forward. So when I rolled the crown areas, I placed the hair on top of the roller and rolled under so the hair would fall forward. Pic 3: After sitting under dryer for one hour, I applied a dime size amount of the MoroccanOil serum then flat ironed the roots on 340 with my Babyliss Pro. I then applied a tiny amount of Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, finger combed out the curls, wrapped it up and secured with saran wrap. I sat under the dryer for 15-20 minutes then let it cool down before removing the saran wrap. Pic 4 Results: Straight hair with plenty of body! (They were taken in 2 different rooms so I'm assuming that's why the lighting is different) No it's not bone straight, but it's good enough for me. The only direct heat I used was when I flat ironed the roots. I didn't have to blowfry, use heat on the length or ends of my hair nor use a curling iron. She won!!!!! Pic 5: A straight hair's nightmare...a rain forecast!!!!! I've already wrapped my hair back up and I wont be wearing it down till Monday when the rain clears up. I'll just throw on a cute beanie when I go out until then. I'm sure my hair will be even better and straighter when I take it down too!

lulu97 beautiful hair! The saran wrap method is one thing I can NOT seem to master! It gets my ends straight but my roots sweat out every single time I try it!!!! I wish I could figure it out because they always come out looking gorgeous on the people who dont sweat badly in their scalp, like I do!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^That's one thing I don't miss about back home. My car would have a fight with Atlantic Ave. daily and loose each time. :nono:

rririla

^^^^^^Froreal3 smh! I just got my car fixed Tuesday! Due to a giant sinkhole in Manhattan!!!! I am so over it! Hopefully you are somewhere nice and warm now. Lol!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^^^^^Froreal3 smh! I just got my car fixed Tuesday! Due to a giant sinkhole in Manhattan!!!! I am so over it! Hopefully you are somewhere nice and warm now. Lol!

rririla Girl yes! The roads here in GA are pristine. When I got down here, my poor car looked a hot arse mess due to the trauma it had been through up there. Had a different color mirror replacement on one side, door knocked in on the other side. Jacked up wheels...it only had 50K miles on it when it died after 6 years. smh. Meanwhile cars down here be having 100K plus miles on it and look brand new. I was so mad. But that was three years ago, and my car now is an upgrade. We do drive up twice a year and I reFUSE to drive my car on certain street, most of the BQE, and ****** Nostrand. I be going like 5 mph and of course ppl see my GA license plates looking like :ohwell: I just be like, "That's why your car has no bumper!" :lachen:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Omg Atlantic Ave!!!! Oh hell no! Atlantic ave is the devil as far as cars are concerned!

Froreal3

Man the channel 11 news has to keep DOT updated via twitter because the potholes are so bad. I'm glad I don't drive because I be done turnt up if my alignment or tires took a hit because of a pothole smh.

Oh and Atlantic avenue? You know only the area near Barclays is drivable. Don't get caught driving before or after.

toaster

Good morning ladies! lulu97 you already know your hair is fabulous. I won't allow myself to set my hair today until I go to the gym. Hopefully I get there around 11...

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Froreal3

Man the channel 11 news has to keep DOT updated via twitter because the potholes are so bad. I'm glad I don't drive because I be done turnt up if my alignment or tires took a hit because of a pothole smh.

Oh and Atlantic avenue? You know only the area near Barclays is drivable. Don't get caught driving before or after.

:dighole: So true...and sad...it's specific areas that are the worst...if you know what I'm sayin. That's a whole 'notha thread. :yawn:

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I think I'mma do another rollerset this weekend. Then I will stop being lazy and actually twist my hair up. I need to cut down on manipulation.

I think I need to make the mohawk part wider because my sides are way harder to do. I'm like, "Where'd all this hair come from?" :nono:

toaster

I used my capelli rollers today! Being dry in an hour is awesome. I think I'll use this size (1.46 inch) for a while because I really loved the curls the smaller rollers gave me, but the ease of rolling on these was amazing!!

I used the halo method I linked in an earlier post. Normally I do my hair at night and sleep in Bantu knots, but this time I just pulled it up into a lose bun. I plan on sweating it out tomorrow in an exercise class anyway.

image-457188183.jpg

image-2767689557.jpg

image-2727424134.jpg

image-293902486.jpg

image-2216608254.jpg

image-2381604042.jpg

Blairx0

toaster

Looks great! I think I will try that method you linked. I am glad you loved the rollers. Quicker dry time is great! It makes me want to set more often. Did you use all the same products?