Semi permanent color or rinse

Dolapo

Hi, i want to spice up my hair so i want to dye it. probably purple. I need a semi permanent color or rinse that wont dry out my hair. i have dark brown hair and i dont want to bleach it so the color can take. Ive heard of l'oreal color mousse or sth. i think sebastian's colorshine might be too expensive. i also saw a few ones in the BSS. can y'all please give me your suggestions please? :confused:

candibaby

I suggest Adore in Plum. It is 100% Ammonia, Peroxide, and Alcohol free. You have to be very careful about that in semi-permanent colors.. make sure whatever you go with is free of all 3, because those can lead to damage..

RainbowCurls

I've been trying to get purple. I even resorted to a permanent, which didn't work!
I tried 'Colour Pulse' in 'Pepsy Purple' which is a temporary mousse, and it wasn't very good, so don't try that.
I've worked out purple is hard to get on black hair. As you have dark brown it might be easier though.
I've also worked out that 'big company' (L'oreal etc) dyes in unnatural colours suck. You're best off going for brands that make ranges of 'crazier' colours. (Directions, Crazy Colour, Special Effects, Manic Panic etc)
I've had best results with Directions' Plum. Nice purpley shine in sunlight. Special Effects' Deep Purple might be similar.
Oh, a word of warning if you haven't used this kind of dye before, they will turn your bathroom purple (or whatever colour you choose).

This was my hair in the sunlight after a few washes of Directions Plum

Last edited:

RainbowCurls

It's a UK brand, so might be a bit hard for you to find, they have Directions colours at http://www.haircrazy.com/ , and they post worldwide, but they don't have 'Plum' in stock.
As far as I know, Manic Panic and Special Effects are US brands so you might be able to get hold of them more easily.

SUPER SWEET

Dont do a semi permanent if you plan to dye within the next year because it stains the strands just like a permanent color.
I say go with a rinse.

Dolapo

mysweetevie said:
Dont do a semi permanent if you plan to dye within the next year because it stains the strands just like a permanent color.
I say go with a rinse.
so what type of rinses do you suggest?

metalkitty

Purple!? Thats my color, at least my favorite one. I think using Adore would be one of the best choices, I've never seen plum, but I like to mix Purple Rage ( dark cool eggplant purple) and Rich Fuschia (a darker bright fuschia) to get a nice dark warm purple shade. Adore has never dried my hair out, its like a protein treatment though. Steer clear from Manic Panic, they go on faint and last like three washes. Since your hair is dark its okay to go bright since your natural color will dilute the brightness. When my hair was natural and pressed I also got a beautiful purple tint when my hair dresser used Colourshines in Red Wine.

candibaby

metalkitty said:
Purple!? Thats my color, at least my favorite one. I think using Adore would be one of the best choices, I've never seen plum, but I like to mix Purple Rage ( dark cool eggplant purple) and Rich Fuschia (a darker bright fuschia) to get a nice dark warm purple shade. Adore has never dried my hair out, its like a protein treatment though. Steer clear from Manic Panic, they go on faint and last like three washes. Since your hair is dark its okay to go bright since your natural color will dilute the brightness. When my hair was natural and pressed I also got a beautiful purple tint when my hair dresser used Colourshines in Red Wine.

yeah.. I think Purple Rage is the name of the color, I dont know where I got plum from :confused:

Dolapo

thanks a lot for your suggestions. i think i might try adore. ill get the two colors metalkitty suggested and mix together :)

metalkitty

Cool, you might want to do a bit more fuschia than Purple Rage, since the Rage is so dark. It'll still be dark, just more dimensional if that makes sense. Be sure to show us your results.

RainbowCurls

metalkitty said:

I'm interested in this Adore now...
Can you get it online anywhere that posts worldwide?
How dark is your hair? I ask this because mine is v.dark brown/black and ALL dyes are less likely to work on my hair.
Do you have a pic from when you dyed it with Adore?

metalkitty

The front of my hair is bleached to a medium bronzy color so its easy to get a dark purple color. But I did achieve a nice shiny, purple tint when my hair was natural by using a Colourshine in Red Wine. My hair was naturally very dark brown/ off black and I got a nice tint in some lights. I'd reccomend going brighter than you think you need with it, not to much Purple Rage, so the colors not bland or blackened out. I know you can buy Adore online at Texas BSS, maybe Havanna BSS too. It might be tricky to find but its worth it:) .

RainbowCurls

metalkitty said:
The front of my hair is bleached to a medium bronzy color so its easy to get a dark purple color. But I did achieve a nice shiny, purple tint when my hair was natural by using a Colourshine in Red Wine. My hair was naturally very dark brown/ off black and I got a nice tint in some lights. I'd reccomend going brighter than you think you need with it, not to much Purple Rage, so the colors not bland or blackened out. I know you can buy Adore online at Texas BSS, maybe Havanna BSS too. It might be tricky to find but its worth it:) .

Thanks for the info. Don't think I'll bother trying to get hold of it yet, had a quick look and looks far too hard to find. I was planning on bleaching this weekend. I've been planning it for a few weeks now so hope I don't chicken out!

Dolapo, let us know how your hair turns out!

candibaby

PerfectDoak said:
I'm interested in this Adore now...
Can you get it online anywhere that posts worldwide?
How dark is your hair? I ask this because mine is v.dark brown/black and ALL dyes are less likely to work on my hair.
Do you have a pic from when you dyed it with Adore?

You can get it from texasbeautysupply.com but the catch is that you have to order $30 worth of products for them to ship internationally. :ohwell:

Since I believe the Purple Rage is a dark purple, I think it will show up on your hair. I use the Adore in Mahogany and it makes my hair burgundy and my hair is dark brown (think #3 in terms of weave colors). I don't have a picture from the last time I did it though, sorry.

RainbowCurls

candibaby said:
You can get it from texasbeautysupply.com but the catch is that you have to order $30 worth of products for them to ship internationally. :ohwell:

Thanks. I've bookmarked it for a possible future purchase.

Dolapo

k. i got the adore in the 2 colors you suggested. how im i supposed to mix it? as in what measurements?

Dolapo

well, i just did the coloring.
4 capfuls of the rich fushia
2 1/2 capfuls of purple rage
i didnt know what exact measurements to use. my hair is still wet and i dont see any color :(. i also rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. im not sure if i was meant to do that. i just didnt want the thing bleeding all over my clothes when ti rains or sth. ill take pics later today