Can I use a SEMI-PERMANENT Rinse Every Week?

Evalina1

Simple Question - Can I use a SEMI-PERMANENT RINSE Weekly?
I co-wash every other day and by the end of the week my black hair turns dirty dull brown (I hate it).
I would love to use a semi-permanent rinse Weekly.
(No Ammonia or Alcohol)

Last edited:

JustKiya

I would suggest clarifying, first - sounds like maybe your conditioner is leaving behind some build-up?

mezzogirl

I have used a semi-permanent color every week or every other week with no ill effects. I use it on my edges mostly ( I have a little gray). Every now and then I will recover my entire head after 3 weeks or so.

Evalina1

I would suggest clarifying, first - sounds like maybe your conditioner is leaving behind some build-up?
Thank You....I really want to know will the semil-permanent color damage my hair if I decide to use it weekly.
My natural hair color is "Dull Dirty Brown":sad:

Evalina1

I have used a semi-permanent color every week or every other week with no ill effects. I use it on my edges mostly ( I have a little gray). Every now and then I will recover my entire head after 3 weeks or so.
Thanks for your response!:grin: What is the name of the product you use?

PeggyFair

Simple Question - Can I use a SEMI-PERMANENT RINSE Weekly?
I co-wash every other day and by the end of the week my black hair turns dirty dull brown (I hate it).
I would love to use a semi-permanent rinse Weekly.
(No Ammonia or Alcohol)

Bumping. I want to know too. I would love to sport Jet black hair 24/7. After this long 20+ week stretch, I am going to rinse my hair after my touch up. I am interested in the brands that people are using as well.

Aggie

I was thinking about doing this too but just not weekly. I was thinking about doing it every 3 weeks or so concentrating mostly on my roots though. I probably will do this anyway as soon as I run out of my indigo. I really like Dudleys Regal Blue. I believe you should apply it after 6 washes but I'm not sure.... or is it 6 weeks? Hmmm, I have to check into this further.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Every week sounds like a lot to me. If you are rinsing your hair every day or every other day you will be rinisng the color out. Remember rinses coat the hair shaft but don't penetrate so rinse + daily co washing = money down the drain. I would say monthly should be fine. When I want my color rinses to last longer I follow it with a clear rinse on the next wash.

HTH

fluffylocks

I think you would be able to do it if you wanted if the ingredients are all good....

Also maybe you can try this rinse in shampoo out hair color by Roux, they also have a leave-in type mouse for color http://www.sallybeauty.com/Fanci-Full Temporary Color Rinse/ROUX1,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-03

I was searching for a conditoner by Pantene called midnight expressions that was for black hair to keep the color in, guess its discountinued, but i think their was a different version by sabillo/cabillo (?) where the wording was mainly spanish and then the sub-title/directions were in English if anyone knows what im talking about?

Aggie

Okay, I just came off the phone with one of my friends who is the Dudley's distributor here in the Bahamas and she told me that as long as a semi permanent rinse does not have any harsh chemicals namely peroxides, that it is fine to apply the rinse monthly, weekly, and even daily.

The reason is because this type of rinse does not really penetrate the hair strand like dyes, it simply coats it, hence the reason why it fades after a few washes. She also says that the semi permanent rinse makes the hair strand look thicker.

Dudley's is out of the regal blue and darker colors right now because their machine that manufactures the darker colors is broken and they haven't been able to repair it for several months now.

So this means for me that I will be able to put a semi permanent on my hair every 2 weeks now instead of 3 weeks. I really like my hair black so I can't wait for the Dudley's regal blue is in again - I will be purchasing like 5 or 6 bottles at one time:yep:.

In the mean time, I think I will have to go hunting for a color that has similar ingredients as the Dudleys. Problem is, I have no idea what the ingredients are in the Dudley's color. I will have to avoid the peroxides I guess.

Aggie

Hey ladies, I just went searching for info on semi permanent colors and here is what I found:

Caring for Semi Permanent Hair Color

By Anna Lynn Sibal

For the more adventurous of us, for those of us who like to experiment more with different fashion fads and different hairstyles, throwing ourselves into the foray of various hair colors as vivid and as multifarious as the colors of the rainbow is not an uncommon venture. Those who are gifted with bolder spirits in terms of fashion are not known to hesitate at highlighting their locks with unnatural streaks of magenta, purple, electric blue, orange or green, among other, more shocking shades. The brilliance of these colors reflects the brilliance and the vivacity of the beautiful souls who wear these streaks in their hair.

Such shades of hair color always come as semi-permanent, and because semi-permanent hair color fade more easily than permanent hair dyes, they need more effort towards maintaining their life and shine so they would last a lot longer. Most women who go for semi-permanent hair color do this maintenance work by visiting their hairstylists on a weekly basis.

But not all women, adventurous spirits that they may be, can afford paying for a weekly visit to the salon. Thus, it becomes a necessity for the audacity to be tempered with a touch of practicality so that the adventurous woman with the brightly streaked hair can remain bold with her choices and yet not break her bank account.

How is this done? How can those vivid and vivacious semi-permanent streaks on those locks be preserved for a longer life without subjecting the hair to any damage? The secret to achieving a longer-lasting semi-permanent hair color involves diligence in caring for the hair. If you are one of those women who love to experiment with unnatural, semi-permanent hair colors, these tips are for you.

Right after the application of those bright and bold streaks, you should wash your hair with one part white vinegar mixed with one part warm water – a cup for a cup. In doing this, you are extending the life of your semi-permanent streaks by raising the pH level of the product through the use of the vinegar.

To prevent your colors from fading and from trickling down along with your sweat whenever you do some strenuous housework or go to the gym, wear your hair in a ponytail before you start doing your chores or working out. Also, wear a bandana or a hat before going out to prevent your colors from fading under the sun.

Because semi-permanent hair color needs weekly maintenance, have the product available at home so you can do your touch-ups yourself. You should pay close attention to the roots because color fades faster close to the roots. If the availability of time is your problem, then try to keep your bold colors as close to the natural shade of your hair as possible – if possible.
To keep your hair as free from damage as can be afforded by the use of semi-permanent hair coloring products, keep your hair moisturized. Use shampoos that are gentle and friendly to colored hair, the type that will not wash those pretty streaks away while you shower. Also, use detanglers and leave-on conditioners to reduce the friction created while brushing and combing the hair. This will prevent the hair from breaking and splitting.

I've bolded the fact that semi-permanent colors are safe to apply weekly, only look for the ones that have 'no ammonia and no peroxides' on the label.

Also here is the link to the above post - http://www.2hairstyles.com/semi-permanent-hair-color.shtml. I agree with an earlier post too about using a coloring enhancing or preserving poo/conditioner or try the technique indicated in this article. HTH.

TeeKay21

Why not try Bigen? It's permanent, but doesn't contain ammonia or peroxide. It deposits color on the hair just like rinses, but the effect is longer lasting. (It only deposits so you can't go lighter with it, only darker).

I use the oriental black and the bluest black. Both of them are great. I wash weekly and I only have to reapply every three-four months.

ALthough it says permanent, it still needs to be reapplied to maintain the vibrancy. I think of it as a super semi-permanent.

You have to follow the directions to a "T" though. Definatly do a spot test like the instructions say. Also DO NOT USE HEAT. It's tempting to use heat to "set" the color in. That will only cause you to have VERY DRY HAIR.

Other than that, I LOVE it!

janeemat

You sure can. I have used it twice a week in the past. I use Matrix prizms plus. To me it works as an extra conditioner because it gives my hair a nice gloss it feels really moisturized. Just make sure it is a semi.

Aggie

I use John Frieda Brunette Color Glaze 1-2x a week on my roots with no problems.

Hey Priestess, where can I find this online?

You sure can. I have used it twice a week in the past. I use Matrix prizms plus. To me it works as an extra conditioner because it gives my hair a nice gloss it feels really moisturized. Just make sure it is a semi.

Also janeemat, where can I find this one online? I'm looking for an alternative brand until Dudleys's regal blue is available again.

Keen

Why would you need to use it every week. If it is not lasting you at least 4 to 6 weeks, maybe there is something wrong with the color.

Aggie

Why would you need to use it every week. If it is not lasting you at least 4 to 6 weeks, maybe there is something wrong with the color.

Not necessarily, I believe it has a lot to do with frequent washings as well and the rate of hair growth. Semi's fade considerably after 6-12 washes. I wash my hair quite a bit, so I would need to re-apply a semi at least every 2 to 3 weeks.

mezzogirl

Thanks for your response!:grin: What is the name of the product you use?

Right now I'm using color Brilliance by Ion. I get it from Sally's. Several years ago when I frequented salons, my hairdresser would put beautiful browns on my edges every time I came in. My all time favorite is what used to be colorshines but is now called Laminates cellophanes by Seabastian. It was discontinued and is now back. All are peroxide free, and ammonia free.:grin:

Keen wrote:

It depends on how often a person washes their hair. If you only wash once a week, it will last a month or more. If you co-wash/wash several times a week, everytime water hits the hair, a little more color gets rinsed out.

Artemis

Why not try Bigen? It's permanent, but doesn't contain ammonia or peroxide. It deposits color on the hair just like rinses, but the effect is longer lasting. (It only deposits so you can't go lighter with it, only darker).

I use the oriental black and the bluest black. Both of them are great. I wash weekly and I only have to reapply every three-four months.

ALthough it says permanent, it still needs to be reapplied to maintain the vibrancy. I think of it as a super semi-permanent.

You have to follow the directions to a "T" though. Definatly do a spot test like the instructions say. Also DO NOT USE HEAT. It's tempting to use heat to "set" the color in. That will only cause you to have VERY DRY HAIR.

Other than that, I LOVE it!

Not exactly. Bigen doesn't contain ammonia, and doesn't REQUIRE peroxide. Which means adding water creates the peroxide needed to illicit permanent results. That powder in the box is basically crystallized developer. The idea behind it is that it is supposed to be a lower volume than typical permanent colors, and that's why it's seemingly more gentle, but that does not take any risk away from its use. Also, no where listed on the package are you able to determine just what that volume is. It can run a bit inconsistent (IME) and that is a risk in itself.

I love Bigen too, but I have to be mindful of where I purchase my boxes--sometimes I would get permanent results, sometimes I wouldn't. So I don't use it that much anymore.

Aggie

Hi Aggie! Here you go dear, you can get it here and here. JF also has a clear rinse that's nice too.

It must be nice to be in the Bahamas! ;)

Thanks so much for the links Priestess. It's really nice here, but dang, it's gettin' hot up in here as well. My family and I will have to start hitting the beach again, lol.

ETA: Is the brilliant brunette chestnut to espresso color actually black or brown? Also is it easy to apply?

Evalina1

Hey ladies, I just went searching for info on semi permanent colors and here is what I found:

Caring for Semi Permanent Hair Color

By Anna Lynn Sibal

For the more adventurous of us, for those of us who like to experiment more with different fashion fads and different hairstyles, throwing ourselves into the foray of various hair colors as vivid and as multifarious as the colors of the rainbow is not an uncommon venture. Those who are gifted with bolder spirits in terms of fashion are not known to hesitate at highlighting their locks with unnatural streaks of magenta, purple, electric blue, orange or green, among other, more shocking shades. The brilliance of these colors reflects the brilliance and the vivacity of the beautiful souls who wear these streaks in their hair.

Such shades of hair color always come as semi-permanent, and because semi-permanent hair color fade more easily than permanent hair dyes, they need more effort towards maintaining their life and shine so they would last a lot longer. Most women who go for semi-permanent hair color do this maintenance work by visiting their hairstylists on a weekly basis.

But not all women, adventurous spirits that they may be, can afford paying for a weekly visit to the salon. Thus, it becomes a necessity for the audacity to be tempered with a touch of practicality so that the adventurous woman with the brightly streaked hair can remain bold with her choices and yet not break her bank account.

How is this done? How can those vivid and vivacious semi-permanent streaks on those locks be preserved for a longer life without subjecting the hair to any damage? The secret to achieving a longer-lasting semi-permanent hair color involves diligence in caring for the hair. If you are one of those women who love to experiment with unnatural, semi-permanent hair colors, these tips are for you.

Right after the application of those bright and bold streaks, you should wash your hair with one part white vinegar mixed with one part warm water – a cup for a cup. In doing this, you are extending the life of your semi-permanent streaks by raising the pH level of the product through the use of the vinegar.

To prevent your colors from fading and from trickling down along with your sweat whenever you do some strenuous housework or go to the gym, wear your hair in a ponytail before you start doing your chores or working out. Also, wear a bandana or a hat before going out to prevent your colors from fading under the sun.

Because semi-permanent hair color needs weekly maintenance, have the product available at home so you can do your touch-ups yourself. You should pay close attention to the roots because color fades faster close to the roots. If the availability of time is your problem, then try to keep your bold colors as close to the natural shade of your hair as possible – if possible.
To keep your hair as free from damage as can be afforded by the use of semi-permanent hair coloring products, keep your hair moisturized. Use shampoos that are gentle and friendly to colored hair, the type that will not wash those pretty streaks away while you shower. Also, use detanglers and leave-on conditioners to reduce the friction created while brushing and combing the hair. This will prevent the hair from breaking and splitting.

I've bolded the fact that semi-permanent colors are safe to apply weekly, only look for the ones that have 'no ammonia and no peroxides' on the label.

Also here is the link to the above post - http://www.2hairstyles.com/semi-permanent-hair-color.shtml. I agree with an earlier post too about using a coloring enhancing or preserving poo/conditioner or try the technique indicated in this article. HTH.

YOU ARE THE BEST.... THANK YOU SO MUCH.:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Evalina1

Not exactly. Bigen doesn't contain ammonia, and doesn't REQUIRE peroxide. Which means adding water creates the peroxide needed to illicit permanent results. That powder in the box is basically crystallized developer. The idea behind it is that it is supposed to be a lower volume than typical permanent colors, and that's why it's seemingly more gentle, but that does not take any risk away from its use. Also, no where listed on the package are you able to determine just what that volume is. It can run a bit inconsistent (IME) and that is a risk in itself.

I love Bigen too, but I have to be mindful of where I purchase my boxes--sometimes I would get permanent results, sometimes I wouldn't. So I don't use it that much anymore.

THANK FOR THE INFO CONCERNING BIGEN....My friend use this all the time and looks very healthy. I am going to seach more about Cystalized Developer. Thanks again for the info!!!!

Aggie

YOU ARE THE BEST.... THANK YOU SO MUCH.:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

You're welcomed honey.

ETA: I have a niece who manages a major beauty supply store here in the Bahamas and she said that the KISS brand is a really good semi-permanent color to use and we have a lot of them here in the Bahamas and so I think I'll use that one because of easy accessibility to it. Thanks again ladies for all your help with the links to the other brands.

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

Thanks so much for the links Priestess. It's really nice here, but dang, it's gettin' hot up in here as well. My family and I will have to start hitting the beach again, lol.

ETA: Is the brilliant brunette chestnut to espresso color actually black or brown? Also is it easy to apply?

You're welcome Aggie. :) The Brillant Brunette is actually a rich brown, on black/dark hair it gives a brown glow in sunlight. It's very easy to apply, just be sure to wear gloves. It comes out like a gel and is very conditioning.

If you're looking for a black rinse, I recently purchased Via in Black Satin and Jet Black. I haven't used it yet but the ingriedients look good. You can get it here.

Aggie

You're welcome Aggie. :) The Brillant Brunette is actually a rich brown, on black/dark hair it gives a brown glow in sunlight. It's very easy to apply, just be sure to wear gloves. It comes out like a gel and is very conditioning.

If you're looking for a black rinse, I recently purchased Via in Black Satin and Jet Black. I haven't used it yet but the ingriedients look good. You can get it here.

ooooh I think I like this one too better. It has ultra violet protection in it, awesome! Thanks again for the link.